Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a post about which is better. I would prefer the prioritization to be user settable but if you have Android Auto plugged in and using it, if you then plug in Apple Carplay, Android Auto is replaced with Carplay. This is quite frustrating when all you need is to charge the iphone which we now do from the second row. This should be adjustable or simply *not* stop Android Auto from working. Thoughts?

·
Registered
646 Posts
It *should* be easy to fix.
Setup a profile for each device and give your android priority. If that doesn't work I dunno, I tried?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Setup a profile for each device and give your android priority. If that doesn't work I dunno, I tried?
Nope. Profile priorities don't mean anything. The Carplay device takes priority over AA every time. I emailed Subaru about it, and they acknowledged thats how it works. Kinda sucks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nope. Profile priorities don't mean anything. The Carplay device takes priority over AA every time. I emailed Subaru about it, and they acknowledged thats how it works. Kinda sucks.
That’s cray cray

·
Registered
303 Posts
3-6 foot USB lightning charging cable - plug into one of the second row USB ports. Rate of charge might be slower though since I think those might be lower amp ports?? (Maybe someone else can verify?) Easy enough to “thread” the excess cable in between the front seat gap.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
I haven’t had an issue because I only ever have iPhones plugged in, however I agree that it really should function similar to when 2 iPhones are plugged in.
Basically whichever is plugged in first is prioritized. So if I want to switch, all I do is unplug one temporarily. It would be nice if it would switch to android auto the same way

For now you may just need a 12v USB adapter...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't know of any settings, but how about a "charging only" lightning cable for that iPhone? That way it shouldn't interfere in the scenario you described.
Right, if you got one that didn't support data I don't think it would activate CarPlay.

What if you connected a long-ish USB cable from the second row area? Would that still activate the AA/CP? That might be a workaround in the mean time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As mentioned by a few others, our work around is to use a cable to the 2nd row as we only need to charge the iphone. It doesn't activate Carplay as you need to be plugged into one of the two USB connections on the front console. A bit disappointing but nothing I can't live with.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Does the Ascent not have a traditional cigarette lighter place for a normal car charger? I thought there was one in the glove box?

*EDIT*

there should be one under the center console above the USB ports. Go buy one from Amazon and have them charge that way with a traditional charger.

That's what the wife and I will do (take the one from the Jeep) and plug it in there, so that when Im running AA, she can charge without worry.

Attachments

Reactions: imalittle1

·
Registered
334 Posts
Worst part is you cant connect Bluetooth device when AA or CarPlay is ruuning :(
Exactly. My car, phone plugged in with Android Auto. Hubs jumps in and coordinates music from his phone via Bluetooth. I either have to unplug my phone or he has to use an audio cable. My Outback used to let you connect a second phone for media only, not so anymore.

·
Administrator
13,172 Posts
Exactly. My car, phone plugged in with Android Auto. Hubs jumps in and coordinates music from his phone via Bluetooth. I either have to unplug my phone or he has to use an audio cable. My Outback used to let you connect a second phone for media only, not so anymore.
You can disable AA autostart and connection on one (the secondary) phone. The head unit does allow the use of a device as a USB media device, which can be controlled from the head unit's regular functionality (under the "media" button) and the audio will seamlessly mix with AA from the AA connected phone.

I don't run around with two phones, but I use a USB thumb drive instead. The head unit defaults to the thumb drive for music audio over all other music sources (though, if it hasn't mounted and read the thumb drive before the radio is initialized, that comes on first, very briefly).

That too is an option, btw...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGTG2A0/

·
Registered
334 Posts
You can disable AA autostart and connection on one (the secondary) phone. The head unit does allow the use of a device as a USB media device, which can be controlled from the head unit's regular functionality (under the "media" button) and the audio will seamlessly mix with AA from the AA connected phone.

I don't run around with two phones, but I use a USB thumb drive instead. The head unit defaults to the thumb drive for music audio over all other music sources (though, if it hasn't mounted and read the thumb drive before the radio is initialized, that comes on first, very briefly).

That too is an option, btw...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGTG2A0/
I use a thumb drive all the time for audio books but the husband is used to using his phone for music. We're used to him using Bluetooth for audio but I like having Waze running from my phone. Last trip we tried an audio cable and it worked fine but we'll have to try navigating his phone music as a USB device. I wish you could customize the media player.... play the next folder, sort by <album - my preference>. If you have a large stick, navigating to the next audio disk can take a while and playing the next folder would be so nice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.