Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my wife and I are android phone users. So we like to plug in and use the android auto function. However, I have an old iphone 5s that I have removed all functionality to use as an ipod. So when I plugged it in, i was hoping for it to come up like an ipod and we could still have access to android auto. Instead, it wanted to bring up carplay functionality superseding android auto. So here is my question. After searching the net, and around town for a deal on a cheap refurbished ipod, I quickly realized they are more than $150 for something that is compatible per the manual. However, an iphone 4s is also compatible ($39 for 32GB) per the manual but NOT compatible with Apple Carplay. So it got me thinking maybe this would be a solution for ipod for cheap without the carplay function coming up on a dead phone.

Does anybody have any experience with a iphone 4s connected to use like an ipod and does it not try to boot carplay?

Does the functionality work as ipod as far as voice functionality for searching/changing songs? Can you use android auto at the same time?

Also, is one of the front console USBs (right or left) considered primary?
I was trying to figure all of that out in this endeavor. We have a 19 Limited model with tech pkg upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I was posting a reply earlier today when the post went missing while I was typing. Like JDV said, try disabling CarPlay first before spending any money.

Turn off CarPlay
  1. Before you get in the car, open the Settings app.
  2. Tap General > Restrictions.
  3. Select Enable Restrictions.
  4. Enter a passcode.
  5. Repeat that passcode.
  6. Toggle the CarPlay switch to Off.
Edit: those instructions above from Google are outdated...

• Go to Settings
  • Search "Restrictions"
  • Select "Restrictions:
  • enter passcode
  • select "allowed apps"
  • toggle "CarPlay" off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Ok, when you all do this disabling with your iphone, does the system recognize your tracks on your phone like an ipod?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Can't you just use a charging cable to charge the iPhone (or plug it into the rear usb ports) and connect it via bluetooth for playing the music?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can't you just use a charging cable to charge the iPhone (or plug it into the rear usb ports) and connect it via bluetooth for playing the music?
This was my suggestion, which kind of segues into the idea that there should be three USB ports in any connection point, two tied to the infotainment unit, and one charge only.

I bought a Scosche car cup mount for my phone. I kind of hate losing the center cup holder, but the car cup mount plugs into the cig power port and then provides two cig power ports and two power-only USBs. I have my wife and kid plug their phones into the power only ports and it never has to be seen by the head unit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
An iPhone 4s is basically unusable with anything after ios9. And carplay on it is horrible. It’s gonna be so slow and all it ain’t worth messing with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I disabled the apple car play on my old iphone 5s and now it will play as a ipod! And you can use Android auto simultaneously with the other port! So anyone android users out there that want a cheap ipod solution, buy an old iphone equal or greater than 4s and disable apple car play in the new OS settings and the Ascent will recognize as an ipod.

Thanks all for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts