Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first car with Apple airplay. I love it, use it for Waze to navigate (and everything else). It works for the most part but I have had consistent issues. After reading up on it I have switched the cable to a new Official apple power cord, and I have the latest IOS on a Iphone 8 but the same thing happens.

Sometimes:
When I push the button for waze or podcast, it flashes as if the button was pressed, but it doesn't navigate to the app. Sometimes a "double click" will work.

On multiple occasions, it has dropped out. The CARPLAY button becomes greyed out. When I reboot my phone it does not come back. I think if I turn off the car and turn it back on it will work again. While I can reboot my phone, I cant reboot my car while on the highway.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I hate to say this, but look for the highest rated data capable iPhone cable you can find (regardless of manufacturer). A number of us in both the Samsung and Apple world have found certain series of manufacturer data cables do not perform as we'd expect. Anker seems to be highly rated among the posts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do not use poor quality cable in your car. I saw cable smoke due to seriously hot. You will try to burn your phone or car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Besides good cables, another thing to check is to make sure the cable is making a good connection with the phone. The lightning jack on your phone may have dirt, lint or fuzz in it that might be causing an intermittent data connection. If that's the case you might need to clean out the port with a toothpick. I had this problem on a trip a couple of months ago. Once i cleaned out the port, no more problems.

+1 on the Anker cables. Plus they make a 1 foot cable that is the right length for connecting a phone to the USB ports without a lot of extraneous cable flopping around.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I reboot my iphone on the go, I find that unplugging the usb from the car, not the phone, and waiting a minute before plugging it back in, the car will recognize it again.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
So will a reboot of the head unit.

If I reboot my iphone on the go, I find that unplugging the usb from the car, not the phone, and waiting a minute before plugging it back in, the car will recognize it again.

Hope that helps.
Ten second press on the not-power button on the head unit will also cause it to reconnect by rebooting the head unit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
After the latest upgrade of the software at the Subbie dealer by Apple Carplay has started to act up. They performed the upgrade in an attempt to resolve the no-sound issue I took it in for (eventually the amp was replaced). Now Carplay is annoying the crap out of me.
This is not a cable issue (I use Apple cables). This is solely a buggy software in the Subbie.

·
Registered
590 Posts
After the latest upgrade of the software at the Subbie dealer by Apple Carplay has started to act up. They performed the upgrade in an attempt to resolve the no-sound issue I took it in for (eventually the amp was replaced). Now Carplay is annoying the crap out of me.
This is not a cable issue (I use Apple cables). This is solely a buggy software in the Subbie.
We took ours in yesterday for the update since they are not available to download online right now, unfortunately the dealership can’t get them either right now. They are supposed to let us know as soon as the next update is released. Apparently Subaru wants to make sure they get several things fixed with the new update.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have the last upgrade from day 2 of the update release. It misbehaved when I first installed it but then for no reason other than my wife drove it, it started working right. To me it seamed like the head unit did a hard reset and has worked good ever since. I’m guessing somewhere in the 4,382 page manual for just the radio there might be a mention in a footnote about how to do a hard reset. I’m just too lazy to look.:tango_face_surprise:tango_face_wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts