41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
777 Posts
@Subie20
i see you just Joined , and your car is Forester
but same applies to all 2019+ Subaru Forester Touring as they all have NAV
please post your car radio software version you have (picture is better )
you can do updates over the air/remotely for ~2 years now(often not the latest)
and you can do updates online /USB on Nav units for over 3 years > subaru-maps.com (it includes latest software update )
without having to go to service for that.

BTW i can count at least 6 full updates by now for 2019 model
they have 2 types of update with maps or with out

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
777 Posts
Rel_UA.21
Rel_UH.20.52.70

This, I have done. It's also the only Driver Profile in the vehicle (same with my '19).
Rel_UH.20.52.70 not available as update must be on 2021+
  • Minor hardware (GPS module supplier) change on SBR / SIA production line...
  • The new version software is installed ONLY at the production line, and NOT released as USB or FOTA update
  • Change will be implemented to production line from the beginning of April 2021 production at SIA and the end of April 2021 production at SBR

·
Registered
942 Posts
^ Thanks for that. (y) BTW, where are you getting that information on the releases? I ask because it would be a good thing, I think, for me to keep track of. :giggle:

Once I got home, I connected to my home network and asked the system for an update - none was available.

---

I also feel that I should mention that I just updated my (old - but hey, I'm old, too 😅) iPhone (SE, c.2016) to 15.3 this past weekend, and so far, it seems to be connecting without issues. I've noticed some strangeness with the Voice-to-Text interface, however, but I haven't used it enough, yet, to figure out if it was just a momentary glitch, or if it's something to do with this last update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I wouldn’t even know where to start but I’m glad to see I’m not alone, although I’m very sorry you’re having similar issues! I bought a 2019 Subaru Forester Touring and had all of these issues plus some Eyesight-related safety issues, swapped that one for a 2020, and all of the problems have continued, some in different flavors. Tons and tons of CarPlay problems that would be too lengthy of a list to detail here easily. There was a recent “big“ update according to Subaru (at least for my model and year) but my car apparently already had it after wasting another day at the dealership. My phone is an iPhone 12 Pro and is also up-to-date. Subaru continues to the deny knowledge about these things, but I read the other day in a recently filed federal class action suit that they have known above some of this as far back as 2012. They settled one of the safety issue class action suits not that far back for $3.25 million. Many other infotainment deck issues started in 2018 when Samsung took over the HK. Overall, the vast majority of owners of all Subaru models seem to be incredibly happy and not have these issues, and then there are the rest of us. If you haven’t, I would strongly encourage you at least open a case ID and report it to SOA so they have your documentation. Do the best you can to take photos or video clips and keep good records, although at least in my experience even their highest corporate techs said they didn’t know what to suggest. After countless hours of research on how to fix the problem myself, I found the suggestion on an overseas YouTube channel to try a shorter cable, between 12 and 24 inches (24” still will allow you to handle the phone when needed)– – since even replacing the OEM Apple cable made no difference. The thinking here and from my consults with a few engineers outside of Subaru is that there may be some noise in some of the lines (also related to the BUS) or something not well-connected, where the shorter cable seemed to make some difference, although it didn’t fix everything. There are a whole bunch of phone/car/other resets in a particular order you can try, but for me this hasn’t solved much. I am considering getting rid of this car through Carmax/Edmunds because they are offering so much for used cars, and just trying something else altogether, although I had really hoped to stay with Subaru. Sure do wish you the best of luck and empathize greatly with your frustration!
Thanks so much for your response and that you can empathize!! I do use a very short cable now, but I am just shocked that these issues are already happening in my brand new 2022 Ascent and I've only had it two weeks! Of course my local Subaru people have no knowledge of this stuff whatsoever, ugh. I swear I think I could be a Subaru salesperson, because I know more about these vehicles than they do! Used cars are definitely in high demand right now, which is why Subaru was so flexible in letting me out of my 2020 Ascent lease a year-and-a-half early and just bought it back and put me in a 2022! Other than these technical issues I have loved all my Subaru vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2021 Ascent, It happened to me twice and somehow I was driving into a weak signal or dead signal zone, one time in a forest area, and one time in a parking structure basement. Before the infotainment/carplay crash, it has a long buzz sound, then it keep rebooting by itself. I unplug the iphone with the system, then it's fine. But once I plug in, it play like 5 seconds of song then long buzz sound - reboot. So I have to wait until I get back to the regular/good signal zone, park and totally shut off the car and re-start the engine, then the system went back normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had similar CarPlay issues with Subaru and other brands. Here's the three things I do:

1. Be sure your iPhone is running the latest iOS.

2. On your iPhone, go into Settings/General/CarPlay. Under "MY Cars" delete all profiles by swiping left and selecting "forget." Next time you plug your phone into the Ascent, a new profile will be created based on the most current version of iOS on your phone. Note that you will have to give your phone permission to connect when locked so what your iPhone screen for the prompt.

3. Don't connect your iPhone to the cable/car immediately when leaving the house or a store. On our two Subaru's I've found CarPlay doesn't start-up if the phone is connected to wifi (we have a weak signal in the garage that seems to stop the phone from connecting). Same applies to any place you've connected to wifi in the past, your phone remembers (example for me was at the hockey rink last night, CarPlay wouldn't connect until I left the parking lot and was on the street).

Hope that helps.
And remember to stand on only your left foot with your right arm raised with crossed fingers. Wetting your lips helps as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
About five days into the iOS 15.3 update. Nominal five connection cycles per day.

Tonight (fourth connection) was the first time that it glitched. Not sure if it was Waze or the actual connection/connectivity.

Voice-to-Text glitch that I previously reported has not recurred.

Overall, so far, this newest iOS update really seems to have helped.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Overall, so far, this newest iOS update really seems to have helped.
Overall I agree the 15.3 update fixed a lot of bugs.
However, I tried using the dashboard view on CarPlay the last couple days and Waze freezes up each time. That’s an easy fix for now since I rarely used that view anyway

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone having issues with Apple CarPlay going out? I have a brand new 2022 Ascent Limited and have had this issue in every Subaru I've had (in both my other Ascent and my Forester). I just traded in my 2020 Ascent Limited for a 2022 Ascent Limited only one week ago, and Apple CarPlay continues to be an issue no matter what Subaru I have. One day it works fine and the next day not at all. Or it will work when I get in the car in the morning, but when I run in the store for an errand and turn the car on later in the day, it won't work. Only had my 2022 for one week and this should not be happening. I should note that I also have two brand new iPhones (iPhone 12), and my USB cables are brand new and right from the Apple store itself. When CarPlay goes out, I try it on both my iPhones AND my daughter's iPhone 11, and when it's out it doesn't work on any of our phones. I try the trick of turning off the engine, opening the door so the car completely shuts off, waiting a few minutes, and starting the car back up, and still nothing.

This was a problem in my 2020 Ascent and my 2019 Forester as well, and I ended up at the Service Center on 4 separate occasions for this, having to get the head unit replaced and the USB hub replaced.

Does anyone else have the 2022 Ascent yet, or have any fixes for this CarPlay issue in general since it seems to happen in many Subaru vehicles? Sucks that it's happening in my 2022 as well.
Hello , I have Subaru Ascent Limited with everything added dealer sold me at 40125 I have 7200 mile on it never had problem with any nor car apple play all works perfect , must understand i felt luck to have the car prefect running think most happen manufacture defect happed to anyone depend manufacture people who work there something happened and miss inspection , anyway i got 100000 mile warranty if happen to my car all the cost pay 100 dollar deductible , I am very happy with my car good luck with new 2022 Subaru Ascent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone having issues with Apple CarPlay going out? I have a brand new 2022 Ascent Limited and have had this issue in every Subaru I've had (in both my other Ascent and my Forester). I just traded in my 2020 Ascent Limited for a 2022 Ascent Limited only one week ago, and Apple CarPlay continues to be an issue no matter what Subaru I have. One day it works fine and the next day not at all. Or it will work when I get in the car in the morning, but when I run in the store for an errand and turn the car on later in the day, it won't work. Only had my 2022 for one week and this should not be happening. I should note that I also have two brand new iPhones (iPhone 12), and my USB cables are brand new and right from the Apple store itself. When CarPlay goes out, I try it on both my iPhones AND my daughter's iPhone 11, and when it's out it doesn't work on any of our phones. I try the trick of turning off the engine, opening the door so the car completely shuts off, waiting a few minutes, and starting the car back up, and still nothing.

This was a problem in my 2020 Ascent and my 2019 Forester as well, and I ended up at the Service Center on 4 separate occasions for this, having to get the head unit replaced and the USB hub replaced.

Does anyone else have the 2022 Ascent yet, or have any fixes for this CarPlay issue in general since it seems to happen in many Subaru vehicles? Sucks that it's happening in my 2022 as well.
Yes, I have the exact problem and it it clear from the number of complaints that this is a real problem and Subaru is trying to dodge the issue. I took my 2022 in for the same kind of problems and made sure that I had the latest IOS version, that I had an authentic Apple lightning cable, and my Iphone 13 is only a few weeks old.
I took it into the dealer and they were worthless. They could not duplicate the problem so they could not troubleshoot it. That said I can't believe they do not know about it.
They tried to tell me it was caused by interference from my bluetooth ear buds. I do not use my earbuds while driving, nor do I even have them powered on.
Subaru is lying and they are not addressing the problem.
I am just about to go all class action on them if they won't step up and own this.

·
Registered
942 Posts
For me, a consistent troubleshooting area is the gross fit, or lack thereof, of the USB/Lightning cord with the USB port in the vehicle.

There are some - including authentic Apple OE that came with the phones themselves - that simply don't fit as well: and what I mean by that is that they are, for lack of better words, "looser." A cord with better fit has, for me, always resolved the issue, regardless of which of the late-model Subarus we've used the cords with ('16 OB, '16 WRX, '19 Ascent. '19 WRX, '19 Legacy, and '21 Ascent).

To me, it seems that there's simply a bit of tolerance-stacking at-play.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Overall I agree the 15.3 update fixed a lot of bugs.
However, I tried using the dashboard view on CarPlay the last couple days and Waze freezes up each time. That’s an easy fix for now since I rarely used that view anyway
I've actually been OK with dashboard view, with iOS 15.4.1 on an old iPhone SE. I'm a heavy Waze user - on initial connection with Lightning cord, I have been ~50/50 with the vehicle cursor not registering (not really "freezing," in my thinking, as it still allows the system to work otherwise): a quick unplug/replug fixes it. It's a bit annoying, but not so much so that I even bother passing a sigh anymore. 😅

The only real complaint that I have with the 15.4.x iOS update that there's a significant delay between the "What would you like to say?" Siri voice prompt and the cue tone to start dictation.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
381 Posts
I just want to say that I'm in a 2021 Mazda6 rental this week and the CarPlay implementation/integration with the head unit software is so dodgy I wouldn't bother using it if I didn't need the Nav support. Not a connection problem, just an integration problem.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts