Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unable to have the Apple car Play turn on even with my phone plugged in. It used to work but recently it doesn’t turn on.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Try searching here for similar issues. There have been a couple threads at least. Just to get you started though, check your lightning port for lint!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lint in the Lightning port is definitely a concern. A toothpick works well to clean it out. Sometimes it just take a reboot of your phone to get things to work normally again. Also, double check your phone settings to ensure CarPlay is enabled.

...and to state the obvious, make sure your cable is still good. Contrary to popular belief, it does not have to be an Apple cable. It just has to be good. Genuine Apple cables are trash in my opinion. Get a nice heavy duty braided one.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
One must 'open' the iPhone with the fingerprint sensor to get CarPlay to work.
You can choose a setting on the phone to allow CarPlay to work when the phone is locked. They implemented this in iOS 8.3
You’re both partially correct. As long as the phone has been unlocked recently it can be used while locked. It’ll require face/touchID when you plug it in periodically.
Here’s an article about it

·
Registered
849 Posts
You’re both partially correct. As long as the phone has been unlocked recently it can be used while locked. It’ll require face/touchID when you plug it in periodically.
Here’s an article about it
Ha! I forgot about that feature. My phone pretty much doesn't go untouched for more than an hour while I'm awake. I feel so ashamed. lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife and daughter both have iPhones and the other day neither of their phones would work in the '20 Ascent with CarPlay, my wife's phone was connected via bluetooth. They went into a store and took their phone's with them, so I took my son's iPhone and connected it and bingo it worked UNTIL my wife came out of the store then Car Play went dead. It dawned on me that somehow when her phone was connected to the car via bluetooth, Car Play was disabled. I verified this by turning bluetooth off on her phone with it plugged in and the Car Play logo lit up again. So, removed he phone from the paired list but this is pain, because now if she forgets to take her phone out of her purse and plug it in she would have to reach for her phone instead of fall back to bluetooth.

I swear on the '19 Ascent that even when it was connected via bluetooth, CarPlay still worked and I tested my daughter's '19 Impreza and Car Play still works when her phone is connected bluetooth.

Is this something new on the '20?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
@ChopperMario that doesn’t sound like normal behavior for a ‘19 or ‘20. You might want to try ‘forgetting’ the Bluetooth connection on the phone and deleting it from the vehicle, then deleting the vehicle from the CarPlay settings on the phones. Then re-pair Bluetooth and try CarPlay. It might be a pain but worth trying to narrow down the cause.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been there, tried that, same issue... as long as an iPhone is paired AND connected via bluetooth, Car Play icon greys out. Now, if I connect my Android phone via bluetooth, Car Play still works when an iPhone is plugged in. The one iteration that I haven't tried is connecting my daugther's phone via bluetooth and trying to use either iPhone plugged in for Car Play. Wife's Phone = iPhone XR, daughters = 8

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Just checking: does the green CarPlay icon show up at all on your head unit when an iPhone is plugged in?
Normal behavior is for the Bluetooth connection to disable and CarPlay take over. If both phones are charging via the front USB ports then CarPlay should connect to whichever is plugged in first, or iPhone over Android if applicable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Car Play is green when no iPhone is connected via bluetooth, when the wife's phone connects via bluetooth it greys out. I even tried plugging in my daughter's iPhone with the wife's phone bluetooth turned off, started playing music from Amazon Music (using the head unit's touchscreen), when I enabled bluetooth on my wife's phone, my daughter's phone disconnected and the Car Play icon went grey.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,411 Posts
That is not normal behavior, Chopper'....not normal at all. My iPhone works paired by bluetooth when it's in my belt holster and readily starts up CarPlay when I put it in my mount and plug it in. And it's always worked that way. Any small anomalies I had with CarPlay early on were rectified with the head unit firmware update a few months ago.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,411 Posts
Best bet is to take it in for service then... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been unable to have the Apple car Play turn on even with my phone plugged in. It used to work but recently it doesn’t turn on.
Make sure you are using a quality, Apple compatible cable. I had several cables, not Apple brand, and found the one I was using was giving me trouble, and discarded. Switching to another: Works 100%!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually suspected the cable immediately and switch to a OEM Apple cable and also tested the non-OEM cable in the Impreza and it did work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts