Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So funny story.. Since we live in a dead end dirt road and no one messes around back here we leave keys in the car often.

The Subaru app sucks, and our car legit never has service. I found if I park in certain areas it seems to work better. But 9/10 it doesn’t work.

So yesterday I remote start the car and my wife’s keys were in it. I have her my key to unlock it and she went on her way.

This morning I remote start the car, and as soon as it was successful I remembered both keys were in the car....

Now the damn app doesn’t want to unlock the car so both keys are locked in it.

Just thought it was hilarious on my part and shocked Subaru let’s it start with a key in it, more less both keys! And yes, still locked out. 😂 My wife had to pay for it by driving the minivan to work. 😂 8 times so far on failing!

·
Registered
584 Posts
So funny story.. Since we live in a dead end dirt road and no one messes around back here we leave keys in the car often.

The Subaru app sucks, and our car legit never has service. I found if I park in certain areas it seems to work better. But 9/10 it doesn’t work.

So yesterday I remote start the car and my wife’s keys were in it. I have her my key to unlock it and she went on her way.

This morning I remote start the car, and as soon as it was successful I remembered both keys were in the car....

Just thought it was hilarious on my part and shocked Subaru let’s it start with a key in it, more less both keys! And yes, still locked out. 😂 My wife had to pay for it by driving the minivan to work. 😂 8 times so far on failing!

View attachment 6780
Did you program in a Pin Code on the rear hatch/gate - that will enable you to get in if you did.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
^^since the app is hit or miss with service to the vehicle that would also be hit or miss. Its a good starting point though. Eventually the command should reach the car and unlock it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you program in a Pin Code on the rear hatch/gate - that will enable you to get in if you did.
No I have not. How is there a pin code on the hatch? Have I been missing something back there?!?

Don't you just need to wait for the remote start to reach its time limit then use the app to open the doors?
Remote start worked, and died after 10 minutes like it's supposed to. But doors stay locked. The app would then not get the signal to the car since the service is so hit or miss. My screenshot in the first post shows my email of 8 failed attempts.

I thought I tested remote start with keys in it and it wouldn't work.....
It indeed does. We almost always have keys in the car no matter where we are, and one set on us. I never had remote start not work due to that reason, service yes, but never because the keys were in it. It will lock the doors even if they are unlocked prior to remote start though, and that is probably why they don't care if they lock the keys in? If you happen to open the door while the car is in remote start mode without hitting unlock on the fob (or touching door), the car will die and the alarm will sound.. Tested that on accident one day too!

^^since the app is hit or miss with service to the vehicle that would also be hit or miss. Its a good starting point though. Eventually the command should reach the car and unlock it.
Yeah got it on my 10th try! I was just sitting there clicking it, waiting for it to time out, then clicking it again. Then I accidently hit remote start and it failed (luckily!), and the next one unlocked it. Oh how happy I was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pin code does not work with an active key in the car. You have to deactivate the proximity feature before leaving key in car or pin code will not work. I was locked out due to this already once.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I see you did not read the post. Is that why your post count is so high? ;)
that is right, I pay attention to my count. It is what I live for. You can access the internet my Subaru through your phones and in your home so it was not clear to me if your service issue was related to where the vehicle was parked compared to your internet device or just poor internet service all around, even in the home. You know which since you live it every day, but I read a gray area ripe for clarification.

How about a network extender if the signal is weak?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is right, I pay attention to my count. It is what I live for. You can access the internet my Subaru through your phones and in your home so it was not clear to me if your service issue was related to where the vehicle was parked compared to your internet device or just poor internet service all around, even in the home. You know which since you live it every day, but I read a gray area ripe for clarification.

How about a network extender if the signal is weak?
Signal has nothing to do with my devices, it’s the car. Subaru contracted with ATT which is by far the worse company out there, but they took the cheap route so it makes sense because more money for them. I wish we could change the SIM card.

By the way, my OP said the car doesn’t have service.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Signal has nothing to do with my devices, it’s the car. Subaru contracted with ATT which is by far the worse company out there, but they took the cheap route so it makes sense because more money for them. I wish we could change the SIM card.

By the way, my OP said the car doesn’t have service.
I sort of understand the issue you face. It sounds like you do not get a good ATT signal where you live and therefore have a difficult time communicating with/through the vehicle. Per typical cell service collaborations on towers and Abrams statement below it sounds like the issue is that either ATT does not have privledges on your closest cell tower and or the closest cell tower itself is not connecting well with your location period. Again this might be resolved with a signal booster which I have used years ago since although I was close to a tower I lived in a dip in the terrain (right in Denver).

I just found this post on an Outback forum regarding satellite coverage on the system:
"Interesting - a supposedly authoritative email reply from Subaru Customer Support said it IS is satellite-based. Other threads seem to support that here."

and then this

I can attest with firsthand knowledge the premium features that communicate with the Starlink app do not work in an area without AT&T cell coverage. I subscribed to the premium service for a year. While at our northern AZ cabin, with no AT&T coverage, to verify I tried several times the lock/unlock and vehicle location features with no response. Also the monthly report on system's health would only update when I entered AT&T's coverage area.
When in an AT&T coverage area, I would try one of the features a couple times a month during the year of the subscription. Couple times I got a response the system was down (don't recall exact error message). Maybe it's improved but decided the lock/unlock feature wasn't a good spare key. I didn't renew.

and then our friend Carl Abrams stated:
"Also, just like every other cell service, AT&T is the provider, but it will use whatever cell tower it can if it has to. Which means that if you're in a deep valley surrounded by mountains - you're pretty well screwed regardless of whether you're using a CB or cell phone or anything else, unless there's a repeater on top of the mountain. It DOES use satellite signals for geolocation, but voice services are through cell."

and another poster:

I found this in the connected services section of the Starlink manual:

SUBARU STARLINK uses the nationwide 4G LTE cellular network (where available). This technology is completely separate from your smartphone device and uses automatic roaming, optimizes connections and prioritizes emergency requests.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
"roaming" is ambiguous. They didn't define tower roaming or carrier roaming.
it should not matter. Either ATT has a strong network presence in an area or they do not. If not, they tag onto another providers network and get charged accordingly based on their contract for sharing networks in the area.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Verizon has full bars at my house, while ATT is typically 1 bar. The car will not switch towers, and I am on a mountain peak where I can see all the way into the valley with clear access to towers. From my deck I can see about 50 miles away into the valley

At my house the car doesn’t update mileage or any info in the app, and 9/10 times nothing in the app will work, remote start, unlock or anything.

Our town is typically Verizon strong and not many ATT users since the mountains really make us need more towers than a typical area.

I did call Subaru and was told that the car uses a combo of satellite and ATT but if I have weak signal for ATT the services will not work. The emergency stuff is still suppose to work.

·
Registered
584 Posts

View attachment 6780
For some reason I wasn't able to reply to your follow up question. See Page 125 of the Manual re setting a Pin Code using a button on the rear hatch. Here is a link to a video showing how: Subaru Pin Code Access - YouTube

1 - 18 of 18 Posts