Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
581 Posts
That's not true. Size and weight definitely plays a factor in safety. See this link by the IIHS (the organization that does the crash tests):

What is the Difference Between IIHS and NHTSA Crash Test Programs?
Yeah, size and weight are definitely not the ONLY factors, and probably not the most important factors, but they definitely play a role. A car could be built with absolutely no safety features or crumple zones or anything whatsoever, but if it is the size of an aircraft carrier it's gonna come out okay in most collisions. And at the other end of the spectrum, if a car is the size of my kids tricycle, then all the modern safety features in the world aren't gonna help much if it gets squashed by a semi running a red light.

·
Registered
2021 ascent
62 Posts
I was on the same boat at first and went to check them out in person before finally going with a premium, My 2017 forester was a base with some add ons and a few things i did.What i noticed was that the base does not give you the option for captain seats in second row, no privacy glass/Tint rear windows,no power rear gate. I know i wanted a little more in the options department this time as stated cheaper to just get them as to doing them yourself later. I live in south dakota so i got the winter package heated seats,defrost windshield,push button start,privacy glass,power rear gate and captains chair i feel it was well worth the cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what I gather the only missing safety features are these, which I'm not sure are worth the extra $2,500:

• Rear Cross-Traffic Alert - alert as you're backing up if there's a car approaching
Not sure how common this would come in handy. Especially in parking lots where cars are generally going pretty slow, so it wouldn't be preventing any high risk accidents.

• Reverse Automatic Braking - automatically brakes if you're about to back up into an object
The rear-view camera is standard, and I'm always looking back when I'm backing out anyway.

Any opinions or anecdotes on how these individual features have been helpful (or not helpful) to you would be great! Thank you!
Rear Cross-Traffic Alert is quite handy, and worth the price alone. Reverse Automatic Braking freaks me out when it happens. It feels like I've hit something.

Curly LaJolla
2019 Limited.

·
Registered
2022 Limited
6 Posts
After reading numerous posts in my (previous car) Honda Ridgeline group about people buying the entry ‘“Sport” level vehicle and then wanting to add opening rear pickup window, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc. be sure you don’t want any of the items you think you don’t want. I don’t believe I have ever seen a base model Ascent sittting on a lot at dealer during pandemic shortage in my area (Los Angeles) so you may be ordering one to get a first try at it.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts