Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping make the Ascent my first Subaru. My husband drives a '16 Crosstrek which I love, and I've always had great experiences with our local dealership. Unfortunately I require a larger vehicle for the family so I haven't been able to buy a Subaru for myself, until now.

I drove one yesterday and I liked it fine. I am not in love with any of the interior options, especially the ivory dashboard accent that they all have. I'm sure there will also be a few design and production kinks to work out for next year's model.

Is anyone else very excited for the Ascent but considering waiting a bit before actually purchasing one? I'm hearing my dad's voice in the back of my head, telling me never to buy a car the first year or the first year after a major redesign. I would have to think that's less true these days than back in the 80s. Anyone have any thoughts to share?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
234 Posts
In theory would love to, but the failing head gasket in my 05 4Runner is dictating otherwise :) TM Limited will be here soon.

Yea I am not sure what they were trying to do with the Touring model and the tri color interior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I am not sure what they were trying to do with the Touring model and the tri color interior.
Right? I actually like the brown interior a lot in person, but combined with the black and the ivory dash stripe... it's too much. I worry about the keeping the ivory interior looking fresh. The brand-spanking new model I test drove already had a dirty center console.

I currently drive a 2012 Highlander so it would be fine for another year. It's due for service and needs new brake pads, so I need to decide one way or the other.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Right? I actually like the brown interior a lot in person, but combined with the black and the ivory dash stripe... it's too much. I worry about the keeping the ivory interior looking fresh. The brand-spanking new model I test drove already had a dirty center console.

I currently drive a 2012 Highlander so it would be fine for another year. It's due for service and needs new brake pads, so I need to decide one way or the other.

Thanks for your input!
Sure anytime. I am worried about the Ivory in mine but I did not have the luxury of spending a bit more for the Brown in the Touring. I do like the brown it grows on me more and more. Just going to try and keep on top of it and do my best to keep it fresh looking as best I can

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping make the Ascent my first Subaru. My husband drives a '16 Crosstrek which I love, and I've always had great experiences with our local dealership. Unfortunately I require a larger vehicle for the family so I haven't been able to buy a Subaru for myself, until now.

I drove one yesterday and I liked it fine. I am not in love with any of the interior options, especially the ivory dashboard accent that they all have. I'm sure there will also be a few design and production kinks to work out for next year's model.

Is anyone else very excited for the Ascent but considering waiting a bit before actually purchasing one? I'm hearing my dad's voice in the back of my head, telling me never to buy a car the first year or the first year after a major redesign. I would have to think that's less true these days than back in the 80s. Anyone have any thoughts to share?

Thanks for your input!
If you were buying a Fiat product, yes I'd worry. But Subaru's track record has been pretty good for new products. The head gaskets issues from the early 2000s were the only real problem. But that was more than a decade ago when they were heavily influenced by GM. Sure there were oil consumption issues when they went to synthetic oil and some people complained about their CVTs. But since Tom Doll came aboard and Toyota bought out GM's stake in Subaru its been nothing but good things.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they won't make the changes you want for the 2020 model. Maybe the 2022 refresh will bring a few changes, but rarely do they make any changes outside of the 3 year/2 year cycle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I want one, but am unhappy with the only choice for the Touring model being for 7 passengers only. I don't get that..also I would prefer the mirrors to move with the seating positions and the outer mirrors need to fold in automatically.

If it had those features, along with what it DOES have...it would be parked in my driveway right now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We were very close to settling and getting a Pilot when I asked a friend who is a mechanic what his opinion was: go with the Pilot with known transmission issues or choose the Subaru with a brand new engine and brand new transmission? He said Subaru all day long. In his words “Subaru is the only company that has almost ever gotten a CVT right, their AWD is second to none and Subaru never rushes anything to market. Honda has had transmission issues for years and instead of scrapping faulty parts they try different Band Aids that rarely work.” Plus, everyone I have ever known who has owned one loves theirs so... Sold. I think....as long as we can get our preorder for the price they promised us and not OVER MSRP, anyway...

·
Banned
145 Posts
I will not buy anything first 1/2 of production. Which means I will wait for another 6 to 8 months before buying. The stocks will have improved by then, first production problem will have been reported, like the door lock problem. And the production will have smoothed out to be consist output. I will also be able to get proper rebates and deals. At no point would I think that the 2020 would offer anything different then the 2019. The quality of materials used will not likely improve, only the production consistency. But that same consistency is likely be ready in the next few months. Only if you are looking for better deals would waiting more then a few months gain you anything. Most cars sold today have very few problems, reliability is not something I would consider waiting for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good thoughts all around. I am not expecting any significant differences in 2020, but would prefer different interior options. Or just removing that silly ivory dashboard accent. Not sure if that is the kind of tweak Subaru does routinely, or if it's likely to be 2-3 years down the line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...I'm hearing my dad's voice in the back of my head,
Is your name Luke? Regardless, your daddy provided timeless wise advice. No one has lived with this new engine tied to CVT, and crash tests have yet to be done. And who buys a SUV for kids and dogs with a white interior to avoid baking in the black one? Improvements will happen. Supply will exceed demand and deals will be better. You will appreciate your daddy's sage advice.

But Subaru's track record has been pretty good for new products...
Tribeca. Spoken like a dealer's rep.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I still haven't made up my mind. Still waiting to sit in one, let alone do a test ride. Where I live, they only had a pre-production model at the car show (back in April), and wouldn't let us even sit inside. However, the local dealer here says they are expecting first shipments to arrive next week. So will see.

But with the long wait, I am starting to have some second thoughts about buying the 2019 model. That new 2019 Forester had a couple features that I would really like in the Ascent. Specifically, the Driver Alert and Recognition system sounded really good. And same with the start/stop system (should save a bit on gas).

Also, would prefer the 8 seats in the highest trim level. And I am not totally sold on any of the current colors. I wish they would have offered the color (sort of purplish) of the pre-production concepts. I did like that. And I wish they would have kept the back end more like the last concept (like at the top header page). They dummed it down a little too much for the final production model.

And finally, have no pressing need to buy one right away. Bought a 2018 Crosstrek Limited w/EyeSight last fall, and this thing has turned out to be such a great car (far exceeded expectations), which sort of raised the bar a bit for our next vehicle. We would keep the Crosstrek, of course, but not exactly anything wrong with our 2nd car either, a 2014 Toyota Prius. And with the higher gas prices, kind of appreciate it more now for driving around town. Ideally, would want an Ascent Hybrid, but not sure if that is in the works or not.

Anyway, will see in the next couple weeks and decide then. Who knows, this Ascent might blow me away when I finally do the test ride, and will have to get it. But at this point in time, am just not sure. Hard thing to say, since I have been waiting for the Ascent to arrive for the last two years, following it closely from the concepts through now to the final production version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you’ve got the flexibility in timing, then waiting a year makes a lot of sense just to give production some run time.

Also I’ve read that stop/start and EyeSight upgrades are coming before the midlife refresh, so there’s a few mikestones coming.

And then there’s the mysterious hybrid timing...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, I want one, but am unhappy with the only choice for the Touring model being for 7 passengers only. I don't get that..also I would prefer the mirrors to move with the seating positions and the outer mirrors need to fold in automatically.

If it had those features, along with what it DOES have...it would be parked in my driveway right now.
Pretty sure it has something to do with the ventilated seats. That's why I went with Limited with 8 pax.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Is your name Luke? Regardless, your daddy provided timeless wise advice. No one has lived with this new engine tied to CVT, and crash tests have yet to be done. And who buys a SUV for kids and dogs with a white interior to avoid baking in the black one? Improvements will happen. Supply will exceed demand and deals will be better. You will appreciate your daddy's sage advice.

Looking at the Tribeca, I think it was ahead of it's time. People were not as enamored with SUV's when the Tribeca came out.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I still haven't made up my mind. Still waiting to sit in one, let alone do a test ride. Where I live, they only had a pre-production model at the car show (back in April), and wouldn't let us even sit inside. However, the local dealer here says they are expecting first shipments to arrive next week. So will see.

But with the long wait, I am starting to have some second thoughts about buying the 2019 model. That new 2019 Forester had a couple features that I would really like in the Ascent. Specifically, the Driver Alert and Recognition system sounded really good. And same with the start/stop system (should save a bit on gas).

Also, would prefer the 8 seats in the highest trim level. And I am not totally sold on any of the current colors. I wish they would have offered the color (sort of purplish) of the pre-production concepts. I did like that. And I wish they would have kept the back end more like the last concept (like at the top header page). They dummed it down a little too much for the final production model.

And finally, have no pressing need to buy one right away. Bought a 2018 Crosstrek Limited w/EyeSight last fall, and this thing has turned out to be such a great car (far exceeded expectations), which sort of raised the bar a bit for our next vehicle. We would keep the Crosstrek, of course, but not exactly anything wrong with our 2nd car either, a 2014 Toyota Prius. And with the higher gas prices, kind of appreciate it more now for driving around town. Ideally, would want an Ascent Hybrid, but not sure if that is in the works or not.

Anyway, will see in the next couple weeks and decide then. Who knows, this Ascent might blow me away when I finally do the test ride, and will have to get it. But at this point in time, am just not sure. Hard thing to say, since I have been waiting for the Ascent to arrive for the last two years, following it closely from the concepts through now to the final production version.
Just reading your message it sounds like you aren't really interested or have a specific need for the Ascent.

My main reasons for wanting the Ascent are:

1. I currently have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma and get around 15-17 mpg here in SoCal (yay traffic) - 22 combined will be amazing and the range itself will be about 150 miles more than I get per tank in my
Tacoma

2. It's only 2wd and it was annoying back when I lived in Chicago
I may be moving to areas that get snow so AWD would be great

3. More room and visibility ( being 6'5 my eye level is at the tinted part of the windshield of the Tacoma)

4. Back seats! I have an access cab, so it's not ideal for guests/parents/friends

5. More storage since I have a tonneau cover on my truck (yes i could remove it, but I like it because it's lockable and tailgates get stolen around here...

6. New Technology! Android Auto, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc... all those things most people take for granted I don't have any of them and I want them! :grin:

Is the Ascent absolutely perfect? No, but it is certainly better than what I have now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We were very close to settling and getting a Pilot when I asked a friend who is a mechanic what his opinion was: go with the Pilot with known transmission issues or choose the Subaru with a brand new engine and brand new transmission? He said Subaru all day long. In his words “Subaru is the only company that has almost ever gotten a CVT right, their AWD is second to none and Subaru never rushes anything to market. Honda has had transmission issues for years and instead of scrapping faulty parts they try different Band Aids that rarely work.” Plus, everyone I have ever known who has owned one loves theirs so... Sold. I think....as long as we can get our preorder for the price they promised us and not OVER MSRP, anyway...
It always comes down to personal preference. I have friends that purchased a Pilot Elite a few yrs ago and they haven't had any issues with the transmission and would recommend the Elite to anyone. I leased a 2018 Pilot EX-L for my wife in May and she loves it. I've also had 2 Nissans with CVT engines (Juke & Rogue) the past 7 years and no issues with either. The caveat with those Nissans is I leased them so I can't vouch for how they hold up long term.

Now back to the personal preference part...I also like her Pilot but it's not something I would want to drive daily. I would stick with Nissan but the Pathfinder isn't anything I'm interested in. While the Rogue has served me well, I'm ready for something bigger that isn't just a larger, frumpy version of the Rogue. The Ascent has the turbo I miss from the Juke (i know not the same...i won't miss filling up with Premium gas!), the CVT I'm used to (but apparently better!), and a bigger, likely higher rated IIHS vehicle. Basically, Subaru introduced the Ascent and the rest is history...or more like future as mine won't be here until late August!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Test drove a Premium/8 passenger with option 12 yesterday- My thoughts are-

- The rear bench is not all that comfy IMO
- The engine is responsive and quiet
- CVT is the best from Subaru to date
- Ride is excellent thanks to the new SGP
- Front cloth seats are nice fairly comfy but look cheap in ivory cloth
- Fits in my garage with no issues. The vehicle is not as big as people think
- Doors open very wide excellent access in and out
- Hard plastic Ivory trim below the dash is very cheap to the feel and look.
- I noticed some fit and finish issues. Headliner was sticking out of the eyesight trim

Overall a nice ride for the right price. Looking at the inside and out, especially at the premium model, the Ascent was definitely made at a certain price point. From a driving perspective its better than the Outback. A little quieter and it rides smoother. From a comfort and quality perspective I will give the Outback the win

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just reading your message it sounds like you aren't really interested or have a specific need for the Ascent.

My main reasons for wanting the Ascent are:

1. I currently have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma and get around 15-17 mpg here in SoCal (yay traffic) - 22 combined will be amazing and the range itself will be about 150 miles more than I get per tank in my
Tacoma

2. It's only 2wd and it was annoying back when I lived in Chicago
I may be moving to areas that get snow so AWD would be great

3. More room and visibility ( being 6'5 my eye level is at the tinted part of the windshield of the Tacoma)

4. Back seats! I have an access cab, so it's not ideal for guests/parents/friends

5. More storage since I have a tonneau cover on my truck (yes i could remove it, but I like it because it's lockable and tailgates get stolen around here...

6. New Technology! Android Auto, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc... all those things most people take for granted I don't have any of them and I want them! :grin:

Is the Ascent absolutely perfect? No, but it is certainly better than what I have now.
I am definitely interested in the Ascent, and it most likely will be our next vehicle. The question is when, and yes, that does have partly to do with the current need. I am just on the fence right now, as per my post, whether to pull the trigger now or wait.

I agree with your reasons to buy, and probably could add a lot more for you. Just as with my Crosstrek, I think new owners will absolutely love their Ascent. Subaru has a way of doing that to you.

·
Registered
965 Posts

What's funny about those is that, while they never took off for sales, the people who DO have them just love them to death.

Keep in mind, too, that Subaru underwent a radical change in philosophy (well, radical for them, anyway) about 7-8 years ago, and it's just been taking time for it to filter down through all the products. That goes back into the history of the company AND to the parent company.

It's very long and convoluted and has a lot to do with Japanese culture and long memories of WWII that most Americans today don't understand. But it boils down to the Subaru car brand became successful in spite of the intent of the original FHI executives. So over the years they were 'promoted' out of controlling positions and simply put on the board of directors, and newer people that were more forward thinking took over. It's taken a while, and we're seeing the results - cars are being designed based upon what the majority of consumers WANT instead of what the designers THINK they want. And yes, there's a difference in those.

For example, they used to just have a (one) team design the whole car. They'd do the outside, and then when it became time to do the interior, they'd go, hey, we've used this same radio for the last 10 years, so it must be okay. Now they have multiple teams doing the designs. And it's working - we're now selling nearly four times the volume of cars that we were 7 years ago. So those people who already WERE Subaru owners are just tickled pink about what we've done and become, and we're getting a LOT of people who've never considered a Subaru before.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree, Honda has had some issues with their transmissions. Subaru is the clear winner there, but in Honda's defense, they win the battle of the engines. Far more engine failures (repairs) on Subaru's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts