Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought our Limited and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a screen protector? I'm thinking with three kids it's probably a safe bet it'll end up coming in handy to prevent scratches to the screen....any ideas?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just bought our Limited and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a screen protector? I'm thinking with three kids it's probably a safe bet it'll end up coming in handy to prevent scratches to the screen....any ideas?
I didn't have our Ascent yet, but already buying some stuff (accessories/cleaning) and this I never would have thought if I haven't seen this post.
I personally don't put any protector on it as I will keep it clean all the time and I believe the screen should be very durable and not attracted to finger prints. Even if it doesn't simple micro fiber wipe will clean it as new.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The screen will clean up very nice, BUT there is always the possibility of scratching the screen with any amount of dirt on the cleaning cloth or a finger. I always install a screen protector immediately.

There are other protectors out there, but I like this one because it does its job and it very easy to apply without any bubbles. It is much easier to install than a phone screen protector.

https://www.nushield.com/buy-screen-protector

They may not have one available yet for the Ascent. That might be the issue with most options this early in production of the Ascent.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just buy some older "wet" application style screen protector on it and just cut it to size. I usually buy like a Surface RT and trim to fit .. it works great and isn't slippery to the touch. I like the extra grab when i'm trying to touch stuff.. not a fan of slippery touch screens.

I buy my stuff from here. Xtremeguard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Point being, install a screen protector of any sort, or you will regret not having done so sooner than you think.
The screen on my Ascent had a small scrape on the top edge when it was delivered. The dealer noticed it during the prep of the vehicle and ordered a new screen. When I signed the paperwork for the replacement under warranty I noted the warranty cost for the repair was almost $1900.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The screen on my Ascent had a small scrape on the top edge when it was delivered. The dealer noticed it during the prep of the vehicle and ordered a new screen. When I signed the paperwork for the replacement under warranty I noted the warranty cost for the repair was almost $1900.

OMG, that is Expensive!!!! I had never thought about using one. I've had screens on my last 4-5 vehicles. When I saw the heading for this topic, I was wondering why people were buying screens for their car windows - or thought maybe you meant the "shades" - to screen out the sun :) It wasn't until I clicked on a link to the product that I realized what you were talking about. Guess what I'm buying now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't have our Ascent yet, but already buying some stuff (accessories/cleaning) and this I never would have thought if I haven't seen this post.
I personally don't put any protector on it as I will keep it clean all the time and I believe the screen should be very durable and not attracted to finger prints. Even if it doesn't simple micro fiber wipe will clean it as new.

It does seem super durable, but it loves fingerprints! ?
Got ours Tuesday and I think you can see every single print from each touch, so it will be a lot of wiping to keep them off. I don't want to scratch it from wiping so often, so if I don't find a protector that works I guess I'll just live with fingerprints and clean it occasionally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just buy some older "wet" application style screen protector on it and just cut it to size. I usually buy like a Surface RT and trim to fit .. it works great and isn't slippery to the touch. I like the extra grab when i'm trying to touch stuff.. not a fan of slippery touch screens.

I buy my stuff from here. Xtremeguard

I love the "wet" application screen protectors for our phones and tablets so I hope they make one for the Ascent!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I love the "wet" application screen protectors for our phones and tablets so I hope they make one for the Ascent!
Even if they don't, just get a bunch from Amazon, Ebay or wherever, buy the screen protectors that fit tablets 10" and up, and just cut it to size.

I don't think they make wet versions now everyone is hoping on the tempered glass or dry cling-on style (which I really hate).

My screen protector is arriving today and i'll be installing it tonight.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
These should work... clear and matte options

Even if they don't, just get a bunch from Amazon, Ebay or wherever, buy the screen protectors that fit tablets 10" and up, and just cut it to size.

I don't think they make wet versions now everyone is hoping on the tempered glass or dry cling-on style (which I really hate).

My screen protector is arriving today and i'll be installing it tonight.
I am very fond of this company's screen protectors. These should fit the 8" Infotainment system...

CLEAR:
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Protector-LiQuidSkin-Coverage-Anti-Bubble/dp/B009GPPZ0U

MATTE:
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Protector-Coverage-Anti-Glare-Bubble-Free/dp/B0188345GK/

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wonder if you could use the gadget guard liquid black ice? They recommended it for our iPhones and I can say it’s definitely worked as I have dropped my phone several times and I don’t have any scratches. It’s a very easy application as you just rub it on, let it dry and buff out. ?

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I wonder if you could use the gadget guard liquid black ice? They recommended it for our iPhones and I can say it’s definitely worked as I have dropped my phone several times and I don’t have any scratches. It’s a very easy application as you just rub it on, let it dry and buff out. ?
Probably should work.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just placed an order for the one referenced above on Amazon- it is for the Ascent. It had excellent reviews from owners of other Subaru's. Hoping my car gets here before the screen protector (8/17-9/10).

It must be coming from China since no sales tax was applied.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I left the factory plastic on my console waiting for the amazon order. It arrived at my house one day after i left on a long trip. Im not typically hard on my electronic stuff but have been known to put 2x4x10s on my dash in my outback. One slip.... and better safe than sorry.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just placed an order for the one referenced above on Amazon- it is for the Ascent. It had excellent reviews from owners of other Subaru's. Hoping my car gets here before the screen protector (8/17-9/10).

It is from China. I ordered it on July 26 and received it yesterday, a little under 2 weeks. I will install today and update this thread.

·
Registered
275 Posts

It is from China. I ordered it on July 26 and received it yesterday, a little under 2 weeks. I will install today and update this thread.
Screen was much larger than required so it is not custom for the ascent even though they claim it is. Install is simply adhesive. Get it wrong and you are screwed. I put it on off center since and I wanted to remove to center it but it was stuck on and the force I used to remove it cracked the screen protector. Garbage. Find a screen protector that uses a wet install.

·
Registered
234 Posts

@kathytn Did you get yours? I got mine from Amazon today. It is from China. Box makes it perfectly clear where it is from. The box is huge. I have not opened it yet as I don't have the car. Hoping Saturday.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts