·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Vertical vents are a challenge
Don’t want to mount a proclip
What works for you
Need to be able to remove it for other cars
Thanks
This really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the phone. I always have my phone plugged in while in the vehicle but I have not needed to look at it while driving. I always use android auto and my voice commands to make calls or navigate. For those reasons I have my Samsung S10 laying sideways in the open compartment under the screen(even this large phone or my son's S10+ plus fits). I use a very high quality 90 degree cable so as to not damage the wire. I keep the excess wire coiled up in that same compartment so that it does not get in the way of the shifter. Neither the phone or coil have ever slid out.

On some occasions, depending on my other carrying needs, I keep my phone in the arm rest compartment, again plugged in (in this scenario I can use either the 90 degree or a high quality straight connection cable).

Note the high speed transfer rate and the fact it has multiple protective and shielding layers. I also liked that the wire itself was stranded instead of solid which would help with any strains.

I plan on installing separate cameras (front and rear facing) so I do not need my phone to serve that purpose.

While cool air is good for electronics, heat is not, so I would avoid vent mounts.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I put a piece of tool box liner on the shelf just in front of the multi function display and lay my phone there. It's plugged in using AA on the car's infotainment display. Calls, texts, nav, "OK Google" are all there. The hood over the MFD shields the phone from the sun and the phone gets solid cell and GPS reception.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i like mine up higher so i can see the screen for some notifications and map routing doesn't show up well on my CarPlay main screen. I tried the suggestion of laying my phone on the ledge above the screen but gets overheated from the sun and a few times shut down.
wish they had a usb port next to the drivers left hand ledge along edge of dash that's a perfect place, but i couldn't see the screen but would keep out of the sun

I would consider a vent mount magnetic mount but wonder how the plate added to the phone would interfere with wireless charging--i have iphone XR will get the 12 mini in december.

just found this: Thus, magnets can cause interference with wireless charging, making it difficult for the two to pair together. This is why Apple suggests avoiding “magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger.”

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
^^^ I have the same one that I used in a previous vehicle and it worked well. On the Ascent the positioning interferes with the infotainment screen and controls.

...I tried the suggestion of laying my phone on the ledge above the screen but gets overheated from the sun and a few times shut down...
Yeah. I push mine back so it's shaded by the hood over the MFD. It's fine there normally, but if left there with the vehicle parked on a hot day with the sun shining in the windshield, it can get hot enough to shut down.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
781 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
just found this: Thus, magnets can cause interference with wireless charging, making it difficult for the two to pair together. This is why Apple suggests avoiding “magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger.”
Ironically apple added magnets to their wireless charging in the new iPhone 12 series. It may lead to some neat accessories...
But yes, if you add a metal plate behind your iPhone to use a magnetic mount, it will interfere with wireless charging.

which navigation app are you using that you don’t like? And are you using the split screen view in CarPlay or the full screen?

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
I have overheated a phone using vent mount, and charging while navigating. I make sure to have my phone elsewhere nowadays.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
^^^ with a vent mount you can get a nice blast of cool air blowing over the phone with the aircon on. Might be uncomfortable in the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vertical vents are a challenge
Don’t want to mount a proclip
What works for you
Need to be able to remove it for other cars
Thanks

I use the ProClip for my iphone. I tried the mount that clips in to the dash bezel / gages display and it was horrible. I complained about it and Pro CLip sent me the vent mount, no charge. It's perfect. Easy to install. Just a matter of snapping it in. I do not remove the tape, even though it says it's easy to remove. I just snapped it in with the tape still covered. It doesn't shift around at all. Nice and solid. Perfect spot for viewing. I've been using Pro clip since 2004 and I'm very satisfied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
been using Olixar Cell Phone Holder for Car Vent - Air Vent Mount Invent Nova - 360 Degree Rotation - Universal Compatibility
bought 2 of them in 2019 for $12.99/each. They work. and stay on the vertical vents. just checked Amazon and see they are no longer available.
fwiw- I've gone thru at least 4-other types and if this fails, will look again for the successor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here's my solution VERY position specific for the ascent $10

placed passenger vertical vent use middle tine toward the bottom, it wedges in there very nicely and i tilted it towards me. doesn't block much of the vent air flow nice solution

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made some adjustments
Aukey from Amazon works great with vertical vents
I position driver side vent louvre closest to screen with adjustment tab to the left refer to pictures

allows vent airflow adjustment
Doesn’t flop back and forth

the attachment method holds it very tight

·
Registered
745 Posts
I gave up on vent clips ,iPhone resides in cubbie under the HU.Now I can adjust the vent when needed.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
I used to, but I've overheated a couple phones that way. No more for me.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
547 Posts
Not a fan of vent ones at all.

In my WRX I have a CD style one, which I actually jammed into the crack below the radio. Its the perfect height since if I glance over the road is still in front of me, I am not glancing downward.

Still don't have anything good for the Ascent, but it's my wife's daily driver. I tend to use the cup style holder, but this is very dangerous as I have to look down. Thankfully Waze works with Android auto.....well, sort of. I am sick and tired of the nanny controls Android Auto and the stock Subaru head unit have. Neither of them take into account a copilot doing the input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts