Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2109 Ascent Premium has the basic display (no nav). For maps I use my GPS (I like that it's in my line of site) and occasionally Android auto. Music is through either Sirius, USB drive or again AA. Remote start and unlock are via the MySubaru app (I have yet to use any of the other features like locate my vehicle). I have a seven-year middle-tier subscription.

I saw that there were some banal apps built in to the Starlink app, like a third nav app and a news reader (?), but I couldn't find anything I had use for -- especially as most everything seemed to be done better by AA.

So, sick of seeing notifications that Starlink was running a microserver on my Android phone and sick of it taking up memory and battery, I deleted the app.

I haven't noticed a difference yet, but that may be due to lack of looking closely enough. Anyone use the Starlink app?

Or more to the point, are there critical features/functions in the Starlink app that are NOT in the MySubaru app --- features or functions that I'd wish I had access to (i.e. imagine deleting the MySubaru app and then needing the remote unlock feature)?

(Actually, I did notice a difference; the bluetooth connection hasn't lost my phone contacts or forgotten the connection since I uninstalled the app. Could be a coincidence though.)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
The "StarLink" app is old and not really necessary. It can actually cause some issues, too...this is all noted in the Electronics sub-forum here at the Ascent Forum.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
816 Posts
Too laggy and useless,deleted.I have everything I need through my iPhone.Also didn’t like how it would pop up whenever it felt like it.
The aHa app was deleted as well just to throw that in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The aHa app was deleted as well just to throw that in.
I forgot about that app! I have no idea if it runs on startup, but I'm deleting it too. Thanks!

Jim_in_PA's mentioning of "issues" leads me to think it wasn't just a coincidence that it stopped forgetting contacts and pairing after I deleted the app.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "StarLink" app is old and not really necessary. It can actually cause some issues, too...this is all noted in the Electronics sub-forum here at the Ascent Forum.
Starlink is Subaru's version of OnStar and primarily good for if you lock your keys in your car or need emergency assistance, plus it acts as an all-inclusive app launcher on your phone for subaru infotainment. The microserver can be stopped on a forced kill on your phone because if it only ran on while app was open you could not receive critical data on your vehicle. If you don't subscribe to StarLink then, yes the app has limited uses, but if you do subscribe it has its uses and can save you in a jam. I do not currently subscribe, but I can see where the app is useful. It is not old, just not the only option on Subarus. Of it was obsolete they would remove it.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Sorry, no, that's not accurate - though it is a common misconception. Starlink is an all encompassing brand name that's used:
  • As the name of an app that provides connected services for head units that are not Android Auto/Carplay capable.
  • As the name of the head unit/sound system
  • As the name of their Emergency Assistance service
  • As the name of their various connected car services (eg: Starlink Safety and Security Plus)
The Android/Apple app should NEVER be used or installed for the Ascent.

Starlink is Subaru's version of OnStar and primarily good for if you lock your keys in your car or need emergency assistance, plus it acts as an all-inclusive app launcher on your phone for subaru infotainment. The microserver can be stopped on a forced kill on your phone because if it only ran on while app was open you could not receive critical data on your vehicle. If you don't subscribe to StarLink then, yes the app has limited uses, but if you do subscribe it has its uses and can save you in a jam. I do not currently subscribe, but I can see where the app is useful. It is not old, just not the only option on Subarus. Of it was obsolete they would remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts