Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new I’ve been using Rotella GasTruck or Amsoil 0W20 in my wife’s Ascent with either a Purolator Boss or Amsoil filter With great results so far. My neighbor works for the distributor of RP and can get me RP for %70 off and filters at cost, that makes it cheaper than Walmart Supertech. Theres videos of Amsoil vs RP filters while cut open they’re the exact same filter made by the same company. I’ve never tried Royal Purple in my life, I can’t take my neighbors word for it, he’s a rep for the company. Has anyone ran it in their Ascent? Please, spare me the opinion on using a Subaru filter.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I have never used it but some members of other automotive forums I frequent have with (anecdotal) good results. If it’s the correct weight, synthetic, and carries the same certifications as other oils then I’d expect it to be safe for the Ascent.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
15 Posts
Check out Bobistheoilguy.com (BITOG). All the info you would ever want to know about any fluid or maintenance on any vehicle, these guys are truly on a different level of being anal!!

Filters, it is well known that OEM, Purolator Boss (or better) and WIX are the best for pretty much any vehicle. All the "performance oil filters" are built for high flow, not very good filtration. So I would not recommend the Royal Purple filter.

As far as oil goes. If you can get it that cheap I would run Royal Purple in a heart beat!! It is a very good oil (even on BITOG) but many don't run it because of the price. Many will say as long as you use a "quality" synthetic oil, a good filter and consistent maintenance then don't over think it. But some people, like my self, still overthink it. lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used RP in my '02 Forester for years and got nearly 200k miles out of it (even then, the engine was in great working order but the front diff blew and wasn't worth repairing). I've been using RP in the Ascent right from the get-go and plan on keeping with it for the life of the vehicle. I find it to be an excellent oil and worth the extra cost.
I do believe Amsoil is slightly better (based on lubricity studies I've seen) but not so much that the added price is worth it (just my opinion). But 70% off RP is a heck of a deal, I would absolutely switch in your position!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
15 Posts
Also, I am not trying to say the Royal Purple (RP) filter is bad or that it will impact the reliability of the engine. Nor will any other filter. The key is just keep up on your oil changes, and other maintenance for that matter. I like to keep it at 5000 mile oil change intervals because its easier to remember and we only drive 10k-12k miles a year so its roughly 2 times a year. Additionally living in Iowa we see temps below 0F quite often and my wife loves to use the crap out of the remote start which can take a small toll on oil life when considering 10-15min of idle time twice a day when driven for a few months, especially at those temperatures.

I would HIGHLY recommend that people stay away from K&N and Fram oil filters for sure. They are proven to be absolute crap on many forums and cut-aways of oil filters.

I personally like OEM oil filters on every vehicle I own since they are usually $5 or so and I know they quality is generally very good.

It is very common on the 5.3 GM V8 in the trucks to have low oil pressure indicators come on or low oil pressure on the dash gauge, two different sensors one fo the ECM and one for the Gauge. Though there are other issues with that engine, way more than I want to type, the oil filter makes a big difference! There are some trucks that for some reason REQUIRE the OEM ACDelco oil filter. If any aftermarket filter is installed the check engine light will come on for oil pressure. The reason is due to the pressure relief valve built into the filter as well as flow. I don't know the spec on the ACDelco filter compared to aftermarket but I've seen a few times and other technician in my area have too.

What I am getting at is Subaru (or whoever they contract to make the oil filters) builds the filter knowing the specs they need. That means filtration requirements, flow, anti-drain back and pressure relief valve specifications. For the price of $5-ish dollars I prefer to just get the OEM one. If you ask the parts counter of a pack of 5 filters they usually cut a deal on them. I picked up 5 filters and 2 crush washers at our dealer for around $32.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have never used it but some members of other automotive forums I frequent have with (anecdotal) good results. If it’s the correct weight, synthetic, and carries the same certifications as other oils then I’d expect it to be safe for the Ascent.
Amsoil does not carry the same certifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dumb question: Why would anyone not use the Subaru oil that meets the specs created by the Subaru engineers who developed the Subaru engine?

I run into this on motorcycle forums as well, and it’s usually something like - “rather than use the engine oil specified by the engineers who designed and tested the engine in my [name of motorcycle] I‘m going to use XYZ oil because it is aces in my Cummins diesel engine”.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dumb question: Why would anyone not use the Subaru oil that meets the specs created by the Subaru engineers who developed the Subaru engine?

I run into this on motorcycle forums as well, and it’s usually something like - “rather than use the engine oil specified by the engineers who designed and tested the engine in my [name of motorcycle] I‘m going to use XYZ oil because it is aces in my Cummins diesel engine”.
Dumb answer..... Im sure Subaru engineered and designed the oil specifically, its more than likely bottled from a distribution center. If engineers are so great, why do they have a show called engineering disasters? Auto engineers have made so many regrettable and poor decisions in the past. I know what you’re referring to about people using Rotella in motorcycles. I’m not an advocate for that, but it’s tried and true. You strike me as the use only OEM or your car will burst into flames and satan will take your first born son. I’m willing to bet there’s many oils out there superior to Subaru OEM. Nice try on trying to hotshot me though....

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
529 Posts
Any oil that meets the modern dexos2 standard is great oil, including Royal Purple, Kirkland Signature, and a whole shedload of other 0W-20 oils. The Subaru-branded oil is probably a fine oil, but it may not actually perform as well as other oils available that meet dexos2 (which GM developed for their engines, but improves upon the basic API specification in nearly all metrics). Because Subaru won't pay a licensing fee to have "dexos2" branded on the oil, we really don't know how it performs against that industry standard. Better? Worse? Who knows.

Subaru oil will be fine to use in our engines, of course. However, since Subaru specifies only the basic API standards as minimum qualifications for oil in our engines (and not a more advanced standard), we can probably assume the Subaru oil performs only to those basic API standards. As noted above, the dexos2 standard advances the requirements for nearly all performance metrics beyond basic API and, unless we knew otherwise, I'd consider any dexos2-branded oil to be superior to the Subaru oil from a performance perspective.

I just noticed the 2-pack of the Kirkland oil at Costco last weekend. 30 bucks for two 5-quart jugs of good 0W-20 oil can't be beat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Personally because I think it's a money-maker for them and I can probably do just as well or better with another brand that's cheaper and more available. I usually go for Mobil1 as it's like $26/jug at any walmart. I don't go to the dealer too often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dumb answer..... Im sure Subaru engineered and designed the oil specifically, its more than likely bottled from a distribution center. If engineers are so great, why do they have a show called engineering disasters? Auto engineers have made so many regrettable and poor decisions in the past. I know what you’re referring to about people using Rotella in motorcycles. I’m not an advocate for that, but it’s tried and true. You strike me as the use only OEM or your car will burst into flames and satan will take your first born son. I’m willing to bet there’s many oils out there superior to Subaru OEM. Nice try on trying to hotshot me though....
Lighten up. Drop the insults. Seriously dude. Your answer provided exactly zero reasons why an oil different than the factory recommended oil would be superior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts