Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm right around 250 miles, but I've averaged 16-17mpg. Granted, I've spend a lot of the time idling in the driveway, but I wouldn't think that would have made such a huge difference. Looking forward to seeing the mileage on my road trip next week.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm right around 250 miles, but I've averaged 16-17mpg. Granted, I've spend a lot of the time idling in the driveway, but I wouldn't think that would have made such a huge difference. Looking forward to seeing the mileage on my road trip next week.
I just got 500 miles on mine and have driven a combination of in town and highway with 19.7 on the indicator. Hope it improves. I filled up at 200.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think I read that the MPG is different when you are in your first thousand+ mile break in period? Seemed odd to me but others agreed that things will improve & level out after a couple thousand miles. Anyone else heard this?

·
Banned
145 Posts
All new cars suffer gas mileage problems until they are broken in. The engine is working really hard right now trying to splash oil into all the spots that oil should be, sealing piston rings, and smoothing out bores/gears/bearings. The computer is figuring out how to adjust to your driving habits and you figure out the computer. Give it time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just thinking about what gas to use today when, if I ever get my preorder. Did you guys use regular, mid or premium?
All new cars suffer gas mileage problems until they are broken in. The engine is working really hard right now trying to splash oil into all the spots that oil should be, sealing piston rings, and smoothing out bores/gears/bearings. The computer is figuring out how to adjust to your driving habits and you figure out the computer. Give it time.
so my trip next week will be about 800 miles round trip, plus what ever I do there. I'd imagine, when I get back, I'll be around 12-1300, so I let you know if there is a difference in mpg.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was just thinking about what gas to use today when, if I ever get my preorder. Did you guys use regular, mid or premium?
Subaru says you only need to use Oct 87 (which is mid in Colorado)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I think this is one of those cases where the best thing you can do is drive your vehicle :)

Also, it wouldn't hurt to reset the trip/mpg calculation before you start your trip or after a full tank fill-up.

Idling is always going to be bad for fuel economy.

But I am hoping to see those 26 / 27s :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, mine kinda sucks too. 17-18 normally, got 21.3 highway driving 240 miles today. I think it's mostly the break in thing. I hope so! Might end up dropping in a K&N if it doesn't get better by 5,000. (Please, no hate on K&N, I'm a long time user and not trying to start THAT conversation again)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mileage Results

Yesterday we refilled the Ascent for the first time. We had gone 348 miles at 22.2 mpg overall, since Tuesday afternoon. The refill was 15.8 gallons, which means we actually had about three gallons left in the tank. We were driving some city and suburb, and some country; no interstate yet. A range of 500 miles seems like a good possibility.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
When broken in, I am sure the Ascent will break 25 mpg on the highway, but will never beat 20 mpg in town.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I think this is one of those cases where the best thing you can do is drive your vehicle :)

Also, it wouldn't hurt to reset the trip/mpg calculation before you start your trip or after a full tank fill-up.

Idling is always going to be bad for fuel economy.

But I am hoping to see those 26 / 27s :)
How does that compare to the 4 cyl Outback?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
MPG always stinks in any new vehicle because of how much it idles as you show it off to everyone.

But seriously the wear in period will cause lower MPG then expected give it a few thousand then see how it is functioning.
A couple of miles a gallon improvement might be possible, but I would not be expecting any drastic improvement in mpg. As you say though, just wait and see.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I actually achieved better mileage for the first 1000 kms in my new Crosstrek than I am getting currently. Probably had something to do with avoiding going over 4000 rpm during break-in as per manual...

As with every car I have ever owned, mileage really varies with how and where you drive. City and short trips are always bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you all, getting around 19-20 MPG avg, mainly around town and highway split miles. Got around 700 Miles on the car now.

We did a 200 mile trip right off the bat after we got our car and averaged around 24 for the trip. Mostly rural roads going 55-55 the whole way, so kind of expected around there if not a bit higher. But chalking this up to break in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
22 highway or combined?

That is the reading off of the dash. I haven't done any manual calculation, which I know always provides a little different number. We live in a rural area and most of our driving in on highways, though we have let it idle a lot.

1 - 20 of 522 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.