Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking if I need to add these to my aftermarket wheels. They have acorn nuts so I’d assume it’s centered. No vibrations or anything, but figured they might increase suspension life by a little in the long run?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They just make it easier to center the rim right? I can’t imagine them taking the any load of the weight of the vehicle

Thanks for the specs, assume I just take some calipers and measure the inside diameter/bore From the back mounting surface?

I have a 5th wheel to have a matching spare so I can take it off of that

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not on an Ascent, but I did add them for my winter wheels on another vehicle. They are cheap, so I figured I would add them for piece of mind. I believe I paid $5 for the set of 4 at Discount Tire when I purchased my winter wheels. I am a believer of taking slop out of any fitting whenever possible to minimize possible wear and tear, especially when it is inexpensive or part of a crucial component.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yes. And, I was told it's very important to do so.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You ALWAYS want the ring. The hub opening does not just center the wheel. It centers it correctly. Using an aftermarket wheel without the correct hub ring will unevenly wear out the lug holes unevenly.

I also suggest going with aluminum and NOT the plastic ones.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
You ALWAYS want the ring. The hub opening does not just center the wheel. It centers it correctly. Using an aftermarket wheel without the correct hub ring will unevenly wear out the lug holes unevenly.

I also suggest going with aluminum and NOT the plastic ones.
Or you'll snap lugs. Fun times. Been there, done that, and I don't recommend it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I always read that the metal ones can get pretty stuck on the wheel (or hub?). Any truth to that? I've only used the plastic ones.
Yep, they can. A light coating of gear grease on the hub works to prevent them from getting stuck on the hub. Getting stuck in the rim isn't much of an issue.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Folks,
I figured this would be a good post-place. I have a Touring with the 20" wheels, I live in Maine so pretty much need winter tires. I have an opportunity to buy a set of 235/60/18 snows and rims, the rims came off of a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 5x114.3, 63.3 Hub. The rims are Touren TR60. offset +38

Tire Calculator shows minor Speedo Change from the 20".

NEED RECOMMENDATIONS!!

Thanks in Advance

I will be running centric rings.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Do a test-fit.

Some 18s clear, some don't.

Unless someone has had *specific* first-hand experience with this wheel (at its specific measurements), don't trust any second-hand information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TSiwrx,
I have arranged a test fit, the seller offered up his garage, Jack and tools. I will bring my own of course, but he seems well intentioned. Plan on just checking on front to see if Calipers clear and a wheel "left to right" turn radius check. One of my concerns is the Lug size is 14mm on the wheels and ours is 12mm, I will address that at the time for centering/acorn nuts.

Moderators: STICKY please for verified fit options

R/Mac

·
Registered
682 Posts
^ Awesome - reads like you've got your bases covered! Best of luck, and please don't forget to come back and tell us if it works! :)

If it does work and you mount it, be careful the first few times you get in/out of the vehicle as well as when using the rear lift-gate. That little bit of height difference can really be bonkers on the top half of your head, if you're just the right height. ;) I did a similar cross-fit from my wife's WRX to her Forester a few years ago, and while it didn't matter to her (she's 5'2" "on a good day" :D), the slight drop in height really did a number to my head a couple of times. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an Update,
The tires were in spectacular shape and the seller seemed to be an awesome guy, test fit however, didn't fair as well. The offset was perfect for those tires, The rims MUST have been 5 X 114, Vice 5 X 114.3. The Lugs were so close... I could not get a P/N or anything off rims because tires were mounted. Too Bad. Ill Keep Looking.

Mac

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.