Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well, the 255/60R18s fit on a stock Ascent and the 255/65R18s are 1" taller, so with your 1.7" lift they should fit.

Only thing might be the front to back clearance in the fender well.

If you have a Discount Tire store near you they could test fit and refund you the money if they don't work.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,837 Posts
Never assume a lift is absolutely going to give more tire clearance. In many vehicles today, the design of the wheel wells and suspension/steering components, don't necessarily provide much additional clearance when the "body" is raised a little via the small amount of lift you can do on a unibody type construction via the suspension. I agree with testing this, even if if costs a little bit of money do to so for labor. The design of the tread of a specific tire at the edges can also affect fitment when you are up-sizing.

BTW, a concrete example of what I speak about is the Grand Cherokee. (MY11-current) Adding a lift provides exactly zero additional tire clearance when upsizing which limits the vehicle to about ~32" diameter tires without physical modification of the pinch welds which will net you ~33" tire diameters. (OEM is ~30.6") Folks can run ~32s without lifting, in other words and adding the lift gives "the look" but no additional space because of the body design. I don't have any idea what the limits of the Ascent are in this respect and I do know some folks are running upsized tires...check existing threads. I may go to a 255-50/R20 when I need new tires, but that's simply because I want to buy a specific tire that's not available in OEM size on 20" wheels and am not necessarily interested in buying 18" wheels, too. Of course, then I'd have to deal with the spare, too. Who knows...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the 255/60R18s fit on a stock Ascent and the 255/65R18s are 1" taller, so with your 1.7" lift they should fit.

Only thing might be the front to back clearance in the fender well.

If you have a Discount Tire store near you they could test fit and refund you the money if they don't work.
Thanks been hearing 30.5'' fit on the Ascent no problems with a LP 2'' lift so figure an extra 0.5'' should work. Will definitely test though!

My usually shop says once they're mounted they're mine. Good info !

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never assume a lift is absolutely going to give more tire clearance. In many vehicles today, the design of the wheel wells and suspension/steering components, don't necessarily provide much additional clearance when the "body" is raised a little via the small amount of lift you can do on a unibody type construction via the suspension. I agree with testing this, even if if costs a little bit of money do to so for labor. The design of the tread of a specific tire at the edges can also affect fitment when you are up-sizing.

BTW, a concrete example of what I speak about is the Grand Cherokee. (MY11-current) Adding a lift provides exactly zero additional tire clearance when upsizing which limits the vehicle to about ~32" diameter tires without physical modification of the pinch welds which will net you ~33" tire diameters. (OEM is ~30.6") Folks can run ~32s without lifting, in other words and adding the lift gives "the look" but no additional space because of the body design. I don't have any idea what the limits of the Ascent are in this respect and I do know some folks are running upsized tires...check existing threads. I may go to a 255-50/R20 when I need new tires, but that's simply because I want to buy a specific tire that's not available in OEM size on 20" wheels and am not necessarily interested in buying 18" wheels, too. Of course, then I'd have to deal with the spare, too. Who knows...
Thanks!

Did a quick check, adding 0.75” on each side should not rub at full lock with my wheels.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Black Rhino Mozambique, Thanks to Alan for showing them to me.
1885MZA305127B7118x8.55x127305.900GLOSS BLACK W/MILLED SPOKES71.5225025357.50CCBR75M
I think you grabbed the wrong line off the chart. 5x127 doesn't fit. ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am running 255/55/19 on 19x8.5 ET45 w/o lift. I'd think that would be close in tire spec. Can only imagine ET of 30 being an advantage, as far as tire size goes, assuming that is the correct offset.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am running 255/55/19 on 19x8.5 ET45 w/o lift. I'd think that would be close in tire spec. Can only imagine ET of 30 being an advantage, as far as tire size goes, assuming that is the correct offset.
Thanks I'll be running a +35 offset. It's going to be close! But depending how close I'll put a heat gun to the fender lining to flatten down the corrugation.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did a test fit

255/65/18 will NOT fit with a 1.7'' front lift (Eibach) and 18x8 ET35 wheels without cutting the pinch weld and flattening out the fender liner with a heat gun.

Im going to OEM sizing.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Did a test fit

255/65/18 will NOT fit with a 1.7'' front lift (Eibach) and 18x8 ET35 wheels without cutting the pinch weld and flattening out the fender liner with a heat gun.

Im going to OEM sizing.
Thanks for the update.

Your other option, for more sidewall and a more aggressive look, is one of the few 17" rims that fit and then stock diameter/width 17" tires: 245/65R17

1 - 15 of 15 Posts