Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apple carplay randomly disconnects quite frequently. I have to unplug and plug back in to get it back. Anyone else seeing this? Yes I'm using a genuine apple cable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don’t have my Ascent yet so I can’t confirm any issues. I just have a couple of suggestions. Did you try a different cable (perhaps your cable works intermittently?) Also try rebooting your phone, and make sure it has the latest version of iOS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmm, i havent had apple carpaly disconnect yet. i have had some small random disconnects for android auto though, but within seconds it re-connects automatically. this just started 2 days ago.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Use an OEM cable if you're not.

Mine (Android device) did that with supposedly high quality aftermarket cables, and mostly didn't work at all.

I have been using an OEM cable for seven trips and 70 miles without a single glitch.

If you are using OEM, then try a newer version or newer one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some more testing this AM. It always disconnects when I put the car in reverse (when the back up cam turns on), always disconnects when I navigate to another receiver function outside of car play (ie tweak a setting etc).

Will see if I can try another cable but I doubt this is the issue.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Did some more testing this AM. It always disconnects when I put the car in reverse (when the back up cam turns on), always disconnects when I navigate to another receiver function outside of car play (ie tweak a setting etc).

That is probably not a cable issue. Sadly. Android Auto keeps running in the background on the radio, but the screens definitely change (to whatever - camera, settings, home screen, whatever I select).

If it's a camera view, the Infotainment system auto-switches back to Android Auto. Nav voices and music continue the whole time.

If it's me switching to settings or anything else, I have to select "Android Auto" ("Carplay" in your case) to get back to the AA display, but nav voice and music still continue in the background.

Is it truly disconnecting or just switching away? (you can test that by leaving music playing on a Carplay supported music player) Are you using cable, or cable and bluetooth, or bluetooth? (not sure which methods Carplay is capable of).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Use an OEM cable if you're not.

Mine (Android device) did that with supposedly high quality aftermarket cables, and mostly didn't work at all.

I have been using an OEM cable for seven trips and 70 miles without a single glitch.

If you are using OEM, then try a newer version or newer one.

which high quality cables are you using? I have a bunch of Anker cables that i bought because the LG ones are being used in a power station behind my headboard.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
which high quality cables are you using? I have a bunch of Anker cables that i bought because the LG ones are being used in a power station behind my headboard.
I have 4 more coming in today. I will list all of them (working and not) this weekend. I've only gotten OEM and one aftermarket to work so far in my trials.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you don't want the OEM apple USB cables, I am a big fan of the Anker PowerLine + cables. Think they have a big Amazon storefront. They seem to work, and they're Made-for-iPhone certified (MFi)

Hopefully the Gen2 Ascent will have a wireless charging mat for our iPhone X's :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

That is probably not a cable issue. Sadly. Android Auto keeps running in the background on the radio, but the screens definitely change (to whatever - camera, settings, home screen, whatever I select).

If it's a camera view, the Infotainment system auto-switches back to Android Auto. Nav voices and music continue the whole time.

If it's me switching to settings or anything else, I have to select "Android Auto" ("Carplay" in your case) to get back to the AA display, but nav voice and music still continue in the background.

Is it truly disconnecting or just switching away? (you can test that by leaving music playing on a Carplay supported music player) Are you using cable, or cable and bluetooth, or bluetooth? (not sure which methods Carplay is capable of).
Yes completely disconnecting as in the green apple carplay icon on the main receiver menu disappears. Must unplug and replug to get the carplay icon to come back up. Very annoying. Using cable only, I don't even have Bluetooth paired.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Ok, so, this is interesting... this afternoon, Android Auto stopped connecting and instead was popping up the "poor data connection" message on my phone. That's with the OEM cable and the previously flawlessly working aftermarket cable. Hmmm... unless I mixed up OEM cables.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been having issues with CarPlay as of today as well. I use OEM apple cables and had really hard times getting phone calls to work today. No audio either direction. Unplugging would cause the standard bluetooth to take over and it worked. Plugging back in and trying again had no impact. Also rebooting my phone (iPhone X) made no difference. The only "fix" was to reboot the car, and well... that's not always practical.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm late on my promised post about this...

...short version to avoid your issue is never plug in the phone until the infotainment system has fully booted to the home screen.

If you forget, then, as you noticed, you need to shut the car off and wait for the infotainment system to shut down (seconds to minutes, depending on what it's doing).

I've reported this issue to SoA a week ago.

Anyway, I have been able to consistently get phone automobile mode to work that way. And, the few times I forget, more than half of them result in exactly the issues you are running into.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't waste your time with phone changes - it's a Apple/Subaru issue

Confirmed today from the Subaru dealer where I bought our Ascent that there is an issue with CarPlay in the Ascent and it's a software/hardware issue.

Don't bother spending time tinkering with settings, cables, etc. Dealer has had the car for several days, uploaded the new software patch, but cannot get CarPlay to work. Subaru devs are aware and are working on it.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Not quite.

Confirmed today from the Subaru dealer where I bought our Ascent that there is an issue with CarPlay in the Ascent and it's a software/hardware issue.

Don't bother spending time tinkering with settings, cables, etc. Dealer has had the car for several days, uploaded the new software patch, but cannot get CarPlay to work. Subaru devs are aware and are working on it.
Sorry, but Subaru doesn't make the software, and the information you were given was not accurate. Harman Kardon makes the software and would have to make an update. Your dealer may be a little confused.

Regardless, the issues seem to center around one (or both) of two issues.
  1. Version of iOS and Carplay (Apple made some drastic changes lately).
  2. Trying to enable USB Carplay (I posted an image showing how to turn that off earlier).

While this can be fixed on either end, Subaru won't be the ones to fix it. It will be Harman Kardon or Apple who fixes any version specific issues.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I hope this is specific to the HK radio. My non-HK CarPlay works just fine. The only thing it’s always slow to boot up. Also about a minute after it starts I get a stutter, like it lost signal. It’s very brief and no big deal. But it happens consistently after start-up.

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
CarPlay with jailbroken iPhone

Has anyone else tried using NGXPlay on their iPhone yet? I jailbroke my iPhoneX on iOS 12.1.1 using unc0ver and tried to use it. The native mode and screen mirroring works but the touch screen doesn’t do anything inside the apps. I’m just curious if anyone else out there has had success before I try to start over on a different iOS version.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FWIW, my 2011 Nissan Rogue that does not have Apple Carplay but has the music/audio integration in the headunit via USB has these issues all the time (i.e. loses connection, claims it is an unsupported peripheral, etc). Unfortunately, it's the same deal that half the time it happens it requires powering the car off to resolve. So, it's not a Subaru or CarPlay unique thing but a poor programming and handshaking thing apparently lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
FWIW, my 2011 Nissan Rogue that does not have Apple Carplay but has the music/audio integration in the headunit via USB has these issues all the time (i.e. loses connection, claims it is an unsupported peripheral, etc). Unfortunately, it's the same deal that half the time it happens it requires powering the car off to resolve. So, it's not a Subaru or CarPlay unique thing but a poor programming and handshaking thing apparently lol
Subaru changed HU suppliers for 2020 because it apparently is hardware related. As for what will happen to 18 and 19 owners, who knows.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Still Harman Kardon.

Subaru changed HU suppliers for 2020 because it apparently is hardware related. As for what will happen to 18 and 19 owners, who knows.
No, they didn't. A couple years ago, they switched from Fujistu TEN to Harman Kardon. Our head unit, as well as the 2020's, are built by Harman Kardon.

That includes the new massive 11" screens in the Leggy and OB (scroll to the bottom, under "Premium Audio"):
https://www.subaru.com/2020-legacy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts