Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here! We ordered our Limited back on October 1st and it's still not here! I was wondering if this is a common problem? The first ETA from corporate Subaru was December 17th, it then got pushed back to January 4th, then January 16th and now January 29th! It has been sitting at the railhead in Vancouver WA since January 12th, but Subaru insists that they don't have any trucks available to load them on. That seems a bit wonky to me. I would blame the weather but the NW has had an extremely mild winter.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Subaru is cranking out about 5,000 of these a month on average (that means the number is slightly higher since the factory is shut down for maintenance twice a year). I bring that up because sales for December alone are nearly 8,000. So, yes, there's a delay in some deliveries. Sales are through the roof and beating expectations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am Told that they have about 200 sitting at the railhead and the dealership has not had a single shipment arrive.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I am Told that they have about 200 sitting at the railhead and the dealership has not had a single shipment arrive.
Unless you're talking about a massive dealership, that's a very odd number. Regardless, the trucking companies move the cars from the rail heads to the dealerships, and that's a large number to move. Additionally, 95% (more?) of all Ascents are to fulfill orders, and not for dealer stock. Those cars rotate out of the railheads and are replaced with the next batch.

So, how many are supposedly sitting at a rail head isn't really relevant to anything without a lot more information, such as what other dealerships are served by it, how many are moving out every day to all the dealerships, and how many are coming in every day.

...the dealership has not had a single shipment arrive.
That part is odd. Would you be willing to share what dealership it is? Or, have you considered contacting Subaru of America to let them know that the dealership is telling you their delays are because they haven't gotten any cars in a while but that there's 200 waiting at a rail head?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That part is odd. Would you be willing to share what dealership it is? Or, have you considered contacting Subaru of America to let them know that the dealership is telling you their delays are because they haven't gotten any cars in a while but that there's 200 waiting at a rail head?
The dealership is Parker Subaru in North Idaho. They actually suggested also that I contact Subaru of America and I did. I called the 800 number and talked to a gentleman that was less than helpful unfortunately. All he would say was that they were aware of the truck shortage and that there was nothing they could do about it. Searching other local dealers, inventory has not changed either they have a bunch that are listed as in transit.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Hoping you get your Ascent soon...

The dealership is Parker Subaru in North Idaho. They actually suggested also that I contact Subaru of America and I did. I called the 800 number and talked to a gentleman that was less than helpful unfortunately. All he would say was that they were aware of the truck shortage and that there was nothing they could do about it. Searching other local dealers, inventory has not changed either they have a bunch that are listed as in transit.
I wonder if there's a trucker strike, or something else going on in the area, or if the storms running through have delayed the trucking companies. There was supposed to be one happening this month (though I don't know if it happened or not).

Similar things happened in other regions during the summer and fall during severe weather events. And, once things start to back up, it gets worse for a bit.

Sadly, in these situations, Subaru can't be anything more than "less than helpful". They're limited by what the trucking companies that work the rail heads can do.

I sooooo wish I had better news/advice/suggestions for you, but, all I've got is "I'm pretty sure you will think the wait is worth it, and I am sorry you're stuck waiting". :crying:

Keep us posted on how it goes, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It has been sitting at the railhead in Vancouver WA since January 12th, but Subaru insists that they don't have any trucks available to load them on. That seems a bit wonky to me. I would blame the weather but the NW has had an extremely mild winter.
That's been happening around the country. It's not Subaru's fault.

Here's what's going on, behind the scenes. We've had multiple large natural disasters this year. The hurricanes hitting Florida, destroying not just privately owned cars, but actual car dealerships and all their inventory that was on the ground. You've had the fires in California that destroyed thousands of cars. A few years back, when the hurricane hit Houston, the rental car companies were rail shipping all their inventory to the rail yard here in OKC and then trucking them from here - because not only are there only so many car carriers out there, there are also only so many rail heads out there where cars can be shipped TO in the first place.

And guess what? If there's a disaster, you can send car carriers from the rail head in Spokane or Port of Vancouver down to help deliver the cars from Port of Richmond or Port of Long Beach for a while - which is what they've done. Which leaves however many car carriers they have left in Spokane to deliver cars - and most trucking companies don't deliver just for one brand. The company that delivers to us also delivers Infiniti and Nissan, and I think I've seen them with Mazda as well.

Welcome to logistics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We actually abondoned our pre-order after three months of waiting and got our deposit back. Purchased a similar one at another dealership instead that was ready to drive off the lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as an update we picked up our Limited on Sunday! So a couple days "early". Unfortunately there was a tear in the leather in the 3rd row so they have to have the seat redone! But so far I am loving it anyways!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I just had one come in today that, I kid you not, I ordered on 01/02. Talk about the stars aligning right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new here! We ordered our Limited back on October 1st and it's still not here! I was wondering if this is a common problem? The first ETA from corporate Subaru was December 17th, it then got pushed back to January 4th, then January 16th and now January 29th! It has been sitting at the railhead in Vancouver WA since January 12th, but Subaru insists that they don't have any trucks available to load them on. That seems a bit wonky to me. I would blame the weather but the NW has had an extremely mild winter.
I ordered mine September 3rd and got it January 1st.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Its crazy how different orders get different treatment.

I had one customer order a Gray Limited Jan 3rd, KCE23, but then, literally 3 seconds after I hit the submit button he changed his mind and said "Can we change that to black?" No we couldn't. So we ordered the exact same car in Black and switched the Gray one to a normal inbound unit. Well the ETAs for each Ascent was way different. The gray one arrived 1/24! 3 weeks after we placed the order. His black one just got assigned an ETA today... of March 1st! A 5 week difference because of the color lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts