Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I leave the AVH auto vehicle hold feature on when I go to put the car into drive it has a hard time when is finally does I hear a loud thump

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It’s difficult to understand what you mean.

Using AVH allows you to keep the car in “drive” and will hold the brakes for you so you can let your foot off. There’s is no going between “park” and “drive”.

Or perhaps your asking about the gear selector “thump” (has nothing to do with AVH). If you park on any sort of incline, it’s best to shift to neutral, apply the parking brake, then put it into park. The next time you shift to “drive”, there will be no thump. If you don’t use a parking brake, then you will pretty much always get a thump.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah you should have your foot on the brake depressing it to move in or out of park. The AVH is for a temporary hold not as a brake pedal replacement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I understand about keeping my foot on the brake what I’m saying is when I disable the AVH I don’t hear the thump when going into drive but when it’s enabled it’s like it’s hard to put the car into drive with the brake peddle pressed down

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Does what you describe happen every single time with 100% consitency between AVH on or off? It's hard ot belive that AVH is causing the thump.
Do you use the parking brake every time you park? If not, use the method described in post #2 and your issue should go away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice I’ll try that out and see if it’s doesn’t happen again and yes my driveway is at an incline and I don’t use the praking all the time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know if there is anyway to make the ascent automatically put on the praking brake when you put the vehicle in park

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Do you know if there is anyway to make the ascent automatically put on the praking brake when you put the vehicle in park
There is no way to do that. It wouldn't matter anyway because the way to avoid the thump is to stop, shift to nuetral, apply the PB, then shift it to park. It's not just the Ascent - lots of cars are like this. I know it's a couple of extra steps, but it can be learned to be second nature. I used to do this very consciously, but now it's muscle memory - even in my garage with a level floor.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks again
Thank you for being willing to work with your new car. A lot of people come here to complain that the car doesn't behave the way they want it to, even if it's working as designed. It's much easier to adapt our own behavior than to expect the car to change. Some people expect the car to do what their old car did, wihch frankly doesn't make much sense unless the previous vehicle was also a Subaru from the same era

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had this same question a few weeks ago!!! Thanks to this forum and the facebook pages I was able to figure out the following:

This is definitely not AVH. As rockthebeef stated start using the e-brake and this thump will go away.

Order of operations when stopping:

1) Keep foot Brake on
2) Put Car into Park
3) Apply E-Brake
4) Let go of foot Brake

Order of operations when starting:

1) Put foot on foot Brake
2) Remove E-Brake
3) Put car into Drive/Reverse
4) Let foot brake go
5) Apply gas

It takes some time to get use to this but once you do, you wont have any problems. This seems counter intuitive based on what I learned in the past. It seems there is some "lock" mechanism in the transmission that if the ebrake is not applied the car will lean on. Its this mechanism that you are moving out of the way that makes the thud.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had this same question a few weeks ago!!! Thanks to this forum and the facebook pages I was able to figure out the following:

This is definitely not AVH. As rockthebeef stated start using the e-brake and this thump will go away.

Order of operations when stopping:

1) Keep foot Brake on
2) Put Car into Park
3) Apply E-Brake
4) Let go of foot Brake

Order of operations when starting:

1) Put foot on foot Brake
2) Remove E-Brake
3) Put car into Drive/Reverse
4) Let foot brake go
5) Apply gas

It takes some time to get use to this but once you do, you wont have any problems. This seems counter intuitive based on what I learned in the past. It seems there is some "lock" mechanism in the transmission that if the ebrake is not applied the car will lean on. Its this mechanism that you are moving out of the way that makes the thud.
I'm going to have to play witht that method. Whenever I set the e-brake while in park, it can be hit or miss if I get the thump. Applying the e-brake in nuetral eliminates any doubt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts