Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching rooftop tents a bit and while they seem expensive, they appear to be very convenient to a point. Great for quick setup and for being off the ground... not so great if you have to break down camp to use your car to explore.

Looking for some first hand feedback.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience, but can provide you with a few ideas.

I was searching lightweight campers a few days back and stumbled upon a few things. Maybe something like the following would work better for you.

This will hook up to your hitch (if you have one) and keeps you off the ground, and can be left behind
Hitch 'n Pitch ? The hitch-mounted solution for your roof top tent!

I also found a solid side camper/tent, but cannot find it right away. It was a box that attached to the hitch and can be used for cargo. When you get to your site, it pulls out into slightly larger than a queen bed. It has legs and can be left similar to the Hitch N Pitch above, but it is a hard side. It appeared to have 3 sections that pulled out. I believe that it was still a Kickstarter campaign.

We have a Space Trailer (link below) that we tow around. We use this for bikes/paddleboards/compost...We were looking at a rooftop tent to put on the trailer and then could have the bikes/boards on top of my Wife's Outback (until I get an Ascent :grin: - waiting for our dealer to drop below MSRP and for some of the software things to be worked out). The trailer pulls really nice and we have had ours since 2011 and it has held up well.
https://www.spacetrailers.com/

I look forward to seeing feedback on these. Part of the reason we have not done a rooftop on the trailer is if we want to take our dogs with, this would be a pain.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Roofnest is a local company (to me...) that puts out some pretty cool roof-top tents. I don't own one of these (yet), but have checked it out / climbed around in one / asked questions, etc. Agreed that they seem expensive and only convenient if you're going to stay put for a bit - though set up / tear down is very fast.

https://roofnest.com/

·
Registered
487 Posts
Have to admit I would love to get one but I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

I'm on the same boat. I like to go camping a few times a year and the setup and tear down makes a roof tent very appealing, but I also have an older pup with arthritis who does not like to be carried. So getting him up there can be a challenge.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The configurator on the Subaru website states use of the Thule crossbars will be able to support a rooftop tent. However the Subaru crossbars are not rated for a rooftop tent.
The configurator actually has two options for crossbars, the "Thule® Crossbar Set - Aero Extended" are rated for tents as the description states. The "Crossbar Set - Aero" are not for that heavy of a load. The owners manual states the following for the limits of the vehicle, include the bar/mount weight in your calculation and make sure whatever bars you get supports what you're putting on it and isn't the weak link.

-The roof rail load limit for stationary vehicles (700 lbs (317 kg)) applies only when the vehicle is parked and the load is evenly distributed left/right and front/rear and the roof crossbars and roof tent are tightly secured to the vehicle. If these conditions are not met, the load limit will be lower.
-The maximum load limit of the roof crossbars must be obtained from the manufacturer or retailer of the roof rack. When driving the vehicle, the maximum roof rail load is 176 lbs (80 kg) or the crossbar load limit (whichever is lower).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just got the iKamper Skycamp this past weekend. It's step 2 of my plan for world domination--umm, no--for comfortable boondocking and dry camping. Step 1 was buying the Ascent, and Step 3 will be getting an adventure trailer to mount the Skycamp on. (Something along this line: https://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/tuff-stuff-xtreme-basecamp-expedition-trailer/)

Since I don't have the Ascent yet, the Skycamp is on my Acura station wagon. It looks a bit silly since it's as wide as the car, but I was able to use it one night over the weekend, and it kept me high and dry despite seriously dreadful rain. (I hadn't planned to camp immediately, but the rain was so awful on the drive home to Austin after installation in Dallas that I asked Google where the closest state park was and set up there.)

One thing I have learned is that the roof rails are not level, so the Skycamp's pointed slightly up, which concerns me a bit. It looks like Rhino Rack has spacers that you can install between feet and bar to raise the rear crossbar to the same height as the front, so I'll be doing that for the brief time that it takes to get the Ascent broken in for towing:

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really like these forums, you can find out almost anything.
I road trip two months out of the year and currently do it in a full size Ford Transit. I went that route because I'm too old to appreciate sleeping on the ground anymore. I didn't know about roof tents at the time (2016) but now that I do I'm probably going to switch to Ascent and Ikamper.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I really like these forums, you can find out almost anything.
I road trip two months out of the year and currently do it in a full size Ford Transit. I went that route because I'm too old to appreciate sleeping on the ground anymore. I didn't know about roof tents at the time (2016) but now that I do I'm probably going to switch to Ascent and Ikamper.
Transit lets you stealth camp and windy locations are not very enjoyable in the roof top tent rigs. They have their very specific advantages though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Transit lets you stealth camp and windy locations are not very enjoyable in the roof top tent rigs. They have their very specific advantages though.
True, I've slept parked on the street in small towns on roadtrips. I'm really torn about choosing between the Ascent and replacing my 2016 Transit with a 2020 with AWD. I won't even be able to order a 2020 Transit until June at the earliest so I'll keep following both forums until I have to make up my mind.

·
Registered
978 Posts
True, I've slept parked on the street in small towns on roadtrips. I'm really torn about choosing between the Ascent and replacing my 2016 Transit with a 2020 with AWD. I won't even be able to order a 2020 Transit until June at the earliest so I'll keep following both forums until I have to make up my mind.
My dad is eyeing the wide body van idea. In his case its a porta home spring training hanging with friends who own condos out that way, visiting other friends in other states. He’ll probably sell his house and end up having a room to crash in at my brothers house or mine. He’s done with having to maintain a house which I’ve been the maintenance guy. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Leaning back towards the Ascent with Ikamper over the Transit. With the difference in gas mileage I could easily afford a few more motels. My two month road trip to NWT, Yukon and Alaska in the Transit cost over $6,000 just for gas, Ascent would have saved me at least $2,000 on that trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been researching rooftop tents a bit and while they seem expensive, they appear to be very convenient to a point. Great for quick setup and for being off the ground... not so great if you have to break down camp to use your car to explore.

Looking for some first hand feedback.

Thanks in advance
I currently have a SylvanSport GO travel trailer https://www.sylvansport.com/go/ that I LOVE for tent camping off the ground. It's also a great gear hauler if you have bikes, kayaks, etc.) One of the reasons I purchased my Ascent was to consider a heavier, hard-sided TT for more year round camping. The GO is only 800# unloaded.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I currently have a SylvanSport GO travel trailer https://www.sylvansport.com/go/ that I LOVE for tent camping off the ground. It's also a great gear hauler if you have bikes, kayaks, etc.) One of the reasons I purchased my Ascent was to consider a heavier, hard-sided TT for more year round camping. The GO is only 800# unloaded.
I bought the Lifetime tent trailer via costco. The GO was $8000 and tiny two single bunks.

The Lifetime rig original is two Queen bunks. It was $1300 delivered to my door LOL. We still do big trips but I want to do more Grizzly country trips and you know the tent drill in Grizzly country. So hard side cargo/camper tall side popup is my dream trailer. Bunks up top bunks down low sleeping for 4 and secure gear storage for the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts