Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
This Curt product seems to be a cool gadget if it is accurate.

BetterWeigh Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale for OBD II - Bluetooth

Yes, I have it. It use to be called the HaulGauge, but Curt bought it and renamed it. It has, I believe, a stated 5% accuracy rate, meaning it may be off by that amount. After reading the reviews of it on various sites I decided to order it. In my opinion the people who were having challenges with it were not following the instructions properly and to the letter. I never used it in my Ascent that I traded in on my new 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 about 3 weeks ago, but I did set it up several days ago in the Silverado. After first weighing my truck on a scale, I then set up and calibrated the BetterWeigh (formerly HaulGauge) device. You must start on a perfectly level piece of road, and then follow the calibration instructions. I personally found it to be very accurate for providing me the truck's weight, but I have not yet weighed the trailer. BTW, I did learn that when it says to accelerate at mid-throttle through 15mph, using a lighter throttle, and I assume a heavier throttle position as well, will yield inaccurate results. Because of this I recommend weighing your Ascent first and then "practice" with the BetterWeigh to learn what the mid-throttle position is for your vehicle as you use the device to weigh your setup.

·
Registered
294 Posts
With the HaulGauge, I did weigh the Ascent at a CAT scale and followed all of the directions to the letter. I even worked with one of the guys, on several different days via email and phone, at HaulGauge on several occasions trying to figure out why I could not get more accurate and repeatable readings when setting up and using it with my CAT scale measured trailer. I fully understand the concept, but just could not get it to work well enough to be useful with my Ascent and Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts