Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2020 Ascent Limited and am looking to buy a new travel trailer. After an extensive research process (which caused my wife's eyes to roll) I have found the Apex Nano series by Coachman to be the best fit with the Ascent and our desires. The both have the same aerodynamic design but the 213RDS is longer and heavier. We like the layout of the 213RDS better than the 191RDS but the additional 380 lbs is a concern. It drives my expected worst case loaded weight from just under 4200 lbs to just over 4500 lbs. (I'm assuming around 750 lbs of water and cargo worst case for 3 people.) I expect the weight to be slightly less during most of our travels. Does anyone have any experience with towing these or similar trailers that they would like to share? Does my cargo assumption make sense? In the end, I hope to gain insight into what gas milage I should expect with both trailers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My gut feel from reading other posts and my experiences is that I can expect 11 to 13 miles per gallon with the 380 lbs reducing it by less than 1 mile per gallon. The Ascent should pull either trailer easily. Probably my driving habits will affect the gas milage and car durability more than anything else.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think that your mpg is probably close, but one of our members reported 9 mpg in the mountains and hot weather. As I recall, he noted that they just made it to the only fuel stop in time.

The 213RDS was my first choice, but after a lot of research I settled on the Apex Nano 187RB, which is perfect for us and one granddaughter at a time. It is easily doable with the Ascent, 2019 Premium, and I've gotten as high as 16.? mpg in perfect conditions and mostly flatland hauling and 12.? mpg when in the steep hills (mini-mountains if you wish) of Michigan's northwest lower peninsula.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. We’re in a similar situation. It is for my wife and I and our grandson. The 187RB is also on my list. I am targeting this coming spring to finalize my choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.