Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just joined the forum because I'm researching travel trailers that are within the safe size/weight range for the Ascent Limited, but still roomy enough for a family of 4 to enjoy. Searching landed me in this wonderful forum and I've been reading several threads that have been very helpful.

I wanted to see if anyone out there had experience towing the 19x series Forest River R-pod trailers. In particular, I'm looking at the RP-193 model which has a UVW of 3654 and dry hitch weight of 435. GVWR is 4835 but my plan is to stay below 4000 loaded.

I saw a couple posts with people towing the Micro Minnie 2100BH which has a slightly heavier UVW so I assume the weight is do-able, but haven't had much luck finding posts from people who have R-pods so I thought I'd ask!

Cheers, and thanks to the forum for all the great info!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The UVW of 3654 lbs is fine, no problems there. The dry tongue weight of 435 lbs is a bit more worrisome. Once you add your LP tank(s) and cargo you may go over the 500 lb Ascent limit. You'll need to carefully manage the tongue weight with this trailer, but it can be done with diligence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @Ken Myers and @pro10is for the info, much appreciated! After looking at some trailers at a dealership over the weekend my wife and I decided to shop around more and look for some smaller/lighter trailers. Whenever we settle on something will reply back with photos to add to the collection :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thank you @Ken Myers and @pro10is for the info, much appreciated! After looking at some trailers at a dealership over the weekend my wife and I decided to shop around more and look for some smaller/lighter trailers. Whenever we settle on something will reply back with photos to add to the collection :)
You don't need to settle for a smaller/lighter trailer if you don't want one, you just need to keep the UVW at around 3800 lbs or below and the dry tongue weight ~380 lbs or lower and you should be fine.

I also recommend a dual axle trailer for additional performance and safety. Check out the Winnebago Micro-Minnie series, they're excellent, well-built, dual-axle trailers, most of which are the right weights for the Ascent.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Pay close attention to how the trailer was weighed, some are weighed empty some are weighed as delivered with propane and batteries installed. We looked at nearly every big name brand under $30k and under 5k lbs in 2019.

If I could offer some useful advice, figure out which configuration you think you want and rent one to try out. Hitching, towing, setting up, and sleeping/living in. You may find you don't need as much as you thought you did. Or you may find you need more. Better to spend a little money figuring it out rather than being disappointed in a very large purchase you will be stuck with for a few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts