Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking in if any Ascent owners have towed significant loads through the Rockies? What was your setup and how did Ascent pull up (and down) miles of long grades?

I do plan to take the Ascent from East to West coasts and back again. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I've pulled a small Jayco Jayflight 154BH Baja Edition over the Cascades in Washington and Oregon several times now (about 3000 miles so far), with several rather long slogs over some of the passes. The trailer, loaded, weighed in around 3050 pounds, and while I didn't set any speed records, it pulled fine. In one week I'm traveling to Bozeman, MT from western Washington and am confident of encountering no issues. I do, however, abide by Subaru's recommendation in the manual of taking it slow (45 mph) when going up a grade in hot weather (pages 404/405).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is not bad at all. Even 18 wheelers go slower than that up those grades.

Interestingly, I just found in the Ascent manual (p.326) the following passage:

When driving under continuous heavy load conditions such as when towing a camper or climbing a long, steep hill, the engine speed or the vehicle speed may automatically be reduced. This is not a malfunction. This results from the engine control function maintaining the cooling performance of the vehicle. The engine and vehicle speed will return to a normal speed when the engine is able to maintain the optimum cooling performance after the heavy load decreases. Driving under a heavy load must be performed with extreme care. Do not try to pass a vehicle in front when driving on an uphill slope while towing.

Apparently the Ascent will automatically dial back the throttle if its sensors feel that the engine may overheat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts