Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring model and located in Florida. Have had my Subaru in for service 3+ times for multiple issues ranging from transmission not engaging, USB's either not working or interfering with the TPMS system, body panels coming loose, hood body weld separating, knock in front suspension springs, electrical glitches and MPG half the rating etc. I was given the choice of replacement or repurchase. We agreed on a 2021 Subaru Ascent touring, working on how they will take care of the $4k in accessories etc. Instead of a normal replacement and loan etc for switching out the car, they stated it will be a collateral swap. Loan terms, balance, APR, account number stay the same. Trying to figure out if they will still try to charge for mileage offset? This method is not specifically mentioned in the FL AG procedure. Hoping someone has gone through the process here since most law offices are closed for another week.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
I can't comment on any of your financial questions, but with nearly no exceptions, your accessories should be able to be used with the new MY21.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It is difficult for me to imagine the dealer would essentially take back the 2019, and not charge you anything extra for the 2021. That seems to be too good to be true. Hope it all works out for you. Let us know what ultimately happens either good or bad.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I can't comment on any of your financial questions, but with nearly no exceptions, your accessories should be able to be used with the new MY21.
Except for things that would be damaged or destroyed by removing them. Ie: body side molding, door edge guards.

OP, if you go through with this, and you have the factory hitch and ball mount, be sure to keep your ball mount since the '21 won't come with one.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
It is difficult for me to imagine the dealer would essentially take back the 2019, and not charge you anything extra for the 2021. That seems to be too good to be true. Hope it all works out for you. Let us know how it all works out either good or bad.
this would involve SOA not the dealer in regard to the terms of the swap.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
It is difficult for me to imagine the dealer would essentially take back the 2019, and not charge you anything extra for the 2021. That seems to be too good to be true. Hope it all works out for you. Let us know how it all works out either good or bad.
that is what the collatoral swap is. The vin number (and of course related vehicle description) is switched out but everything else on the loan docs remain the same.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hello. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring model and located in Florida. Have had my Subaru in for service 3+ times for multiple issues ranging from transmission not engaging, USB's either not working or interfering with the TPMS system, body panels coming loose, hood body weld separating, knock in front suspension springs, electrical glitches and MPG half the rating etc. I was given the choice of replacement or repurchase. We agreed on a 2021 Subaru Ascent touring, working on how they will take care of the $4k in accessories etc. Instead of a normal replacement and loan etc for switching out the car, they stated it will be a collateral swap. Loan terms, balance, APR, account number stay the same. Trying to figure out if they will still try to charge for mileage offset? This method is not specifically mentioned in the FL AG procedure. Hoping someone has gone through the process here since most law offices are closed for another week.
Thanks
the Lemon law allows for a small credit to be calculated for the mileage driven up to the point the vehicle was first brought in for the repair issue. I am not sure which issue is associated with this lemon law claim but that one would be used for the date.

Mileage Offset = (Purchase price of vehicle) x (Number of miles driven at first repair attempt ÷ 120,000 miles)

For example, if you actually paid $30,000 for your new car and had driven it 4,000 miles when you first brought it into the dealer to fix the defect, the mileage offset would be $1,000. ($30,000 x 4,000 = 120,000,000. 120,000,000 ÷ 120,000 = 1,000). This means that under these circumstances, the manufacturer would be permitted to deduct a $1,000 credit for the “good use” that you made of your vehicle before it was first brought into the dealer to correct the problem. Most often, this deduction is substantially lower than actual depreciation. It’s also important to note that the offset is based on your first repair visit, no matter the vehicle’s current mileage.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
that is what the collatoral swap is. The vin number (and of course related vehicle description) is switched out but everything else on the loan docs remain the same.
That makes sense, but in my estimation Subaru is being pretty generous. Off-topic, I would never purchase a used 2019 Ascent - too many lemons floating around out there.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
That makes sense, but in my estimation Subaru is being pretty generous. Off-topic, I would never purchase a used 2019 Ascent - too many lemons floating around out there.
I have not gone through the lemon law but would expect Subaru as you stated to be unusually generous in this type of swap. If it is a small mileage involved they may just eat the difference. They want to keep you as a customer and make this right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the Lemon law allows for a small credit to be calculated for the mileage driven up to the point the vehicle was first brought in for the repair issue. I am not sure which issue is associated with this lemon law claim but that one would be used for the date.

Mileage Offset = (Purchase price of vehicle) x (Number of miles driven at first repair attempt ÷ 120,000 miles)

For example, if you actually paid $30,000 for your new car and had driven it 4,000 miles when you first brought it into the dealer to fix the defect, the mileage offset would be $1,000. ($30,000 x 4,000 = 120,000,000. 120,000,000 ÷ 120,000 = 1,000). This means that under these circumstances, the manufacturer would be permitted to deduct a $1,000 credit for the “good use” that you made of your vehicle before it was first brought into the dealer to correct the problem. Most often, this deduction is substantially lower than actual depreciation. It’s also important to note that the offset is based on your first repair visit, no matter the vehicle’s current mileage.
The main repeated issues are the TPMS going haywire when more than 2 USB’s are in use causing interference, the body welds/glue were not applied correctly causing rattles even after being “repaired”, there is a clunk in the front end which they on the 3rd attempt was fixed under a tsb but they only did a partial fix and is still there, MPG averages 13 city and 19 highway, the head unit has its own series of glitches etc. hard to describe everything but each issue has had its own series of service visits (3+). Just hoping this exchange goes smoothly.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The main repeated issues are the TPMS going haywire when more than 2 USB’s are in use causing interference, the body welds/glue were not applied correctly causing rattles even after being “repaired”, there is a clunk in the front end which they on the 3rd attempt was fixed under a tsb but they only did a partial fix and is still there, MPG averages 13 city and 19 highway, the head unit has its own series of glitches etc. hard to describe everything but each issue has had its own series of service visits (3+). Just hoping this exchange goes smoothly.
I suspect it will, but keep us posted. This is why the law exists and Subaru responds quickly once a lemon is identified.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I am not sure where you got your information on the number of 2019 lemons from. I have not seen it anywhere.

I do not live in California but here is an interesting law regarding lemons. I love the nomenclature
Lemon Laundering

If a vehicle was repurchased under the California Lemon Law for a defect by either the vehicle's manufacturer or dealer, then the Vehicle's Manufacturer is required to brand that Vehicle's Title as a "Lemon Law Buyback" and to affix a "Lemon Law Buyback" decal to the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am not sure where you got your information on the number of 2019 lemons from. I have not seen it anywhere.

I do not live in California but here is an interesting law regarding lemons. I love the nomenclature
Lemon Laundering

If a vehicle was repurchased under the California Lemon Law for a defect by either the vehicle's manufacturer or dealer, then the Vehicle's Manufacturer is required to brand that Vehicle's Title as a "Lemon Law Buyback" and to affix a "Lemon Law Buyback" decal to the vehicle.
I was not really talking about bonifide "lemons." I was mainly referring to Ascents that are traded in by customers because of issues, similar to those previously mentioned, that caused the owner to trade in the car earlier than expected. That does not keep an unscrupulous dealer from selling the vehicle to an unsuspecting customer. There are many of those types of customers out there, who will look at the $$$ savings and buy the vehicle. I was using the term "lemon" as more of a generic term. I would still avoid most 2019 Ascents for this reason. Most people don't trade in vehicles within 2 years unless they are dissatisfied or have personal circumstances that change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SOA offers the repurchase/replace program to avoid the cars getting labeled a lemon (and reducing their resale value). It is generous to the owner, but it should make you think twice about ever buying a Subaru second hand from an auction house. That's where the "non-" Lemons go upon their repurchase. Happy with my replacement so far...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks
Went through the same thing in Colorado. Subaru traded out my 19 Touring for a 20 and honestly after 9 months I traded down for an Outback. I had so many problems with the Ascent it scared me every time I was driving long distance. Sorry you had so many problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2019 Touring Model with now nearly 36K miles back in the shop again. New tranny at 29K, typical recalled sensors at 20K, and had my brakes resurfaced due to vibrations at 34K as well as a retork of my struts which were makeing a clunking sound when brakeing at slow speeds. Now today it is back in the shop with the same noises from the struts as well as someone there finally took me serious about my BS gas mileage!! Typically 14 city 17 highway. Everytime I mentioned the mileage at an oil change they would just say that it is still braking in or I have a lead foot. Finally someone is looking into it. So they gave me an Accent 2021 loaner car o_Oo_Otoday and I got 19 mpg in the city driving exactly the same as always.
I think maybe I better look into this lemon law stuff as well.
Jon Pierre Seattle/ Everett WA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts