Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate having to connect my phone (Pixel 2) to get Android Auto to work (what is this, 2003?).

Android 11 expanded wireless connectivity to "compatible" head units, but I haven't been able to find out whether that includes the basic Subaru unit. I've heard a lot of people have had to jump through a lot of hoops to switch from wired to wireless (e.g. clearing caches, disconnecting, etc.), so don't want to start down that road if it's futile to begin with.

I'm in a 2019 Ascent Premium with the basic (no nav) head unit, but interested in any other years/trim levels.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The 2019-2021 Ascent do not support it, nor do they have the hardware for it from what we've been told.

There are almost no wireless compatible Android Auto OEM built-into-vehicle head units. Ours are in the list of "doesn't do it". As a matter of fact, as of late 2019, zero cars supported it, and, the only way to get wireless Android Auto in any car was an aftermarket head unit.

Some other brands' very few new 2020+ car models are finally adopting it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I hate having to connect my phone (Pixel 2) to get Android Auto to work (what is this, 2003?).

Android 11 expanded wireless connectivity to "compatible" head units, but I haven't been able to find out whether that includes the basic Subaru unit. I've heard a lot of people have had to jump through a lot of hoops to switch from wired to wireless (e.g. clearing caches, disconnecting, etc.), so don't want to start down that road if it's futile to begin with.

I'm in a 2019 Ascent Premium with the basic (no nav) head unit, but interested in any other years/trim levels.
As Robert mentioned but... you can get it by doing this

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
As Robert mentioned but... you can get it by doing this
Unless something has changed very recently, none of the aftermarket dongle solutions have been tested to work with Subaru yet. They are not plug and play, unfortunately and the manufacturers have to jump through some hoops to get them to work with each vehicle they are targeting.

This is posted in the Q&A on the link you provided, dated 7 September 2020:

Supported cars.

As questions regarding which cars are supported are frequently being asked, we would like to offer clarification and be as transparent as possible. Our aim is to get AAWireless to work with any and every car which is compatible with Android Auto.

Currently we have tested the following cars / units and can confirm they are working fine:
  • VW MIB2 units
  • Ford Sync 3
  • Chevrolet Corvette Z06
  • Kia eNiro
  • Hyundai Palisade
  • Grand Jeep Cherokee running uconnect 8.4 by Fiat
  • Ram 1500 (10.25)
  • Toyota Corolla TS 2020 and a few other Toyotas
  • Honda CR V
  • Kenwood
  • Sony XAV100
  • Audi MMI
  • Other unbranded aftermarket units

Cars tested but with small problems which we are working on right now.
  • Opel / Vauxhall Intellink system.
  • Nissan Leaf

Cars going to be tested in the near future (after the 14th of September):
  • Several Mercedes cars
  • Renault / Dacia
  • Volvo
  • Fiat
  • Peugeot

It is also important to mention that we are building an OTA update system for the unit together with a bug capturing option. This means in the unlikely event that a unit does not work with the device, we can ask for logs, test, and send out fixes to address any potential compatibility issues.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
631 Posts
Unless something has changed very recently, none of the aftermarket dongle solutions have been tested to work with Subaru yet. They are not plug and play, unfortunately and the manufacturers have to jump through some hoops to get them to work with each vehicle they are targeting.

This is posted in the Q&A on the link you provided, dated 7 September 2020:
Based on this tech it uses the dongle and talk to the phone via WiFi and transmit that to the car via the dongle. So in theory the dongle acts like the phone. I guess no one will know until it comes out.

That's how my Kenwood wireless worked, via wifi method.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
Based on this tech it uses the dongle and talk to the phone via WiFi and transmit that to the car via the dongle. So in theory the dongle acts like the phone. I guess no
Yes, that's more or less how the dongles work...when they work. CP uses BT to setup the connection and then WiFi to pass content. Currently, the dongles do not work with the Subaru head units, unfortunately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Really saved me a ton of frustration digging in settings for options, resetting and reinstalling things, etc.

It's a question for another forum and another dive into Google, but why is it so difficult to connect wirelessly? It's counter-intuitive becasue from a lay perspective, we've been able to cast HD, rights-protected content to AV devices for a long time -- why not wirelessly send ostensibly much less data (no video) and basic UI commands?

Counter-intuitive as it is, I imagine Google et al have a lot of programmers working on it, so there has to be some reason it's difficult to implement; I'm off to see if I can find out why.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
The reason that AA and CP are "complicated" relative to wireless activity is a combination of the need to have proper hand-off from BT to WiFi as well as bandwidth management. In most current head units that don't support wireless AA and CP, there is nothing in there -- hardware, firmware and software -- that supports that hand-off. Because of the hardware factor, it's not something that can be resolved by just firmware/software.

·
Registered
204 Posts
best option for anyone who wants wireless AA support is to replace the head unit. the factory one sucks anyway

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
best option for anyone who wants wireless AA support is to replace the head unit. the factory one sucks anyway
...except, that's just not something that's easy to do because of the vehicle integration beyond entertainment in the system. Gone are the days when aftermarket units are an easy, clean install.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's a question for another forum and another dive into Google, but why is it so difficult to connect wirelessly? It's counter-intuitive becasue from a lay perspective, we've been able to cast HD, rights-protected content to AV devices for a long time -- why not wirelessly send ostensibly much less data (no video) and basic UI commands?

Counter-intuitive as it is, I imagine Google et al have a lot of programmers working on it, so there has to be some reason it's difficult to implement; I'm off to see if I can find out why.
Wireless AA became a thing with Android 11... which probably less than .1% of all Android phones in existance are running... so the demand is very low.

Now that its available, the OEM manufacturers can start designing radios to support it. Let say that takes... 6 months? A year? Not sure. Probably not uber high on their list of priorities due to lack of demand.

On top of that... auto manufacturers generally have their entertainment systems spec'd/planned out years in advance. They certainly can't have planned for something that doesn't exist yet (or didn't, until VERY recently).

In the end... it'll take years to roll out. My guess is 3-5 years before you see it become as "standard" as Android Auto is today.

·
Registered
204 Posts
...except, that's just not something that's easy to do because of the vehicle integration beyond entertainment in the system. Gone are the days when aftermarket units are an easy, clean install.
Oh no, it's very easy it just cost lots more money than it used to. also, bear in mind that all of the functionality you can do from your steering wheel with that little dash display.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wireless AA became a thing with Android 11... which probably less than .1% of all Android phones in existance are running... so the demand is very low.

Now that its available, the OEM manufacturers can start designing radios to support it. Let say that takes... 6 months? A year? Not sure. Probably not uber high on their list of priorities due to lack of demand.

On top of that... auto manufacturers generally have their entertainment systems spec'd/planned out years in advance. They certainly can't have planned for something that doesn't exist yet (or didn't, until VERY recently).

In the end... it'll take years to roll out. My guess is 3-5 years before you see it become as "standard" as Android Auto is today.
I highly doubt a manufacturer is going to push an update that allows wireless Android auto. to them, it's just another selling point for you to trade in your vehicle and buy a new one with the updated features

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
And what is the point of wireless AA? Phone will discharge so much quicker...
This thought has occured to me a number of times during discussions around wireless AA and CP...Wifi traffic is heavy use on the battery of any portable device. So while using wireless methods to marry a portable device to the head unit for incidental convenience while running around locally is certainly viable, it's not something one would want to do for longer sessions due to the power drain. IMHO, at least. I honestly have almost zero desire for the wireless version. I use a phone holder anyway and have a neatly arranged power cable right there. My phone lives in a belt holster when I'm walking about, but when I get into my Ascent, most of the time, I stick it into the phone holder for my personal convenience.

But preferences are certainly subjective and I'm all for folks gaining wireless integration if that's what they prefer. It's just not going to be soon, unfortunately.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I highly doubt a manufacturer is going to push an update that allows wireless Android auto. to them, it's just another selling point for you to trade in your vehicle and buy a new one with the updated features
I never said anything about pushing an update to allow wireless AA. In fact, everything I said was specifically related to the manufacturers rolling out new hardware...

·
Registered
240 Posts
And what is the point of wireless AA? Phone will discharge so much quicker...
I believe the assumption is that the car would also include QI wireless charging (assuming your phone can support it).

The other advantage is tremendously less wear and tear on your phone's charging port. I bought a magnetic cable for mine so that I dont have to physically plug/unplug every time I get in my car. I have to imagine my charging port would be absolutely destroyed by now if I was constantly plugging/unplugging it.

Reactions: JSAC16

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
157 Posts
I believe the assumption is that the car would also include QI wireless charging (assuming your phone can support it).

The other advantage is tremendously less wear and tear on your phone's charging port. I bought a magnetic cable for mine so that I dont have to physically plug/unplug every time I get in my car. I have to imagine my charging port would be absolutely destroyed by now if I was constantly plugging/unplugging it.
I have Anker USB cable plugged in the car all the time so the only wear ant tear would be on my phone. No issue for me. My car is parked in the garage all week so my usage is different than most.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received my AAWireless dongle last week, and it works perfectly! In fact, the connection is more reliable than using the USB cable, though that could have been due to the cable I was using.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
I just received my AAWireless dongle last week, and it works perfectly! In fact, the connection is more reliable than using the USB cable, though that could have been due to the cable I was using.
+1
It really couldn't have been easier! Not sure how secure it is, but I really like it. It works well so far. As with all things Android will it work in 6mos after a couple updates 🤣

1 - 20 of 21 Posts