Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
That's what I'm saying. The engine was reving as I pressed the gas, but the car was flashing, beeping and braking.
Wow...that's interesting. I would certainly not expect the car to be simultaneously giving the engine throttle and applying the service brakes at the same time.

If no one has experienced the pre-collision braking for a turned car then you aren't close enough or fooling it enough ;)
Ours has certainly wanted to brake for me...I get the dash lights, the momentary application of a little bit of brake (either that, or a brief cut in engine power), but a steady foot on the throttle has kept it from fully intervening.

Either that, or maybe the system has decided that the lead car is far enough out of my travel path before it really clamps down on things. I wouldn't say that I follow lead cars that closely. :)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
517 Posts
If no blinky lights, it was most likely Adaptive Cruise Control. If the red lights flashed and it felt like ABS kicking in on all four wheels, then it was likely Eyesight.
For sure this is spot on. Lots of time ACC is braking, no lights, and simple gas to override.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The engine was reving as I pressed the gas, but the car was flashing, beeping and braking. Reubenmc noted the same thing above.
this isn’t what I experienced. I was chiming in to verify eyesight taking action while I was on the throttle. But no revving of the engine for me. Opposite actually. It was just like I let off the gas except I didn’t. Then when eyesight deemed me safe the throttle was back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No the system does not look behind you. I remember when I had a Subaru Eyesight seemed to have the most trouble with vehicles colored white turning in front of me. I always thought it was somewhat humorous. And learned to pay attention when I was in those circumstances.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've noticed a few times that I get the red blinky lights but the car isn't yet automatically braking, if I hit the brake myself they're all charged up and ready to go. I.e. all the sponginess is taken out of the pedal.

I've only had automatic braking once. It was a few weeks ago when a Prius in front of me moved into the center turning lane but left its rear end slightly in my lane. There was plenty of room so I shifted to the right in order to smoothly glide around the Prius. The Ascent thought otherwise and slammed on the brakes. My neck did not appreciate that. lol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not quite true. I have had the crash avoidance start to flash and I told the car to accelerate (which it did), then it started to auto brake even with me mashing on the gas more and I could not override the slowing of the vehicle. This has happened numerous times with vehicles in front of me turning right, still in my lane, but not in my path. It's actually quite annoying because I don't want to disable the feature for when it is really needed.
You are 100% right, it happened to me more than once in a different scenario: when I want to overtake a vehicle. I gain speed first then change lanes, often getting close to the car in front of me. This is how it's supposed to be, you are meant to merge into a faster lane at the faster speed already, rather than change lanes at your current speed and block everybody. Anyway, Eyesight hates me for doing that, and as soon as I accelerate towards the vehicle in front it starts beeping. More than once it applies the brakes after I completely moved to the other lane, there's no longer a vehicle in front of me, I'm not at risk of hitting anybody, I'm accelerating ignoring the red alarms, and still it slammed the brakes in the middle of the highway. But it does it too late, I'm already in the other lane with a clear path and zero risk. Makes me want to disable the system.
Another situation when it happened was when approaching a red light. There's a long line on my lane and only 1 vehicle in the other lane, so I put my turn signal and switch lanes without decelerating. Well, Eyesight decided to slam the brakes to a TOTAL STOP. I was already on the clear lane and it stopped next to the car it tried to "avoid". If I was aiming at that car I would've hit him so hard, because Eyesight stopped way too late. And it was not only late, completely uncalled for since I had my turn signal and was slowly transitioning to the other lane. That vehicle was not in my path at all. I was lucky that nobody was coming behind me.
So yeah, don't tell me Eyesight can be overridden, it has a mind of its own and it's definitely not a better driver than me. I keep it on for my wife that drives the Ascent all the time, and for the rare case where it could save me from a crash. But so far it's 3-0 against Eyesight (3 crashed it could've caused, 0 where it actually helped)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
517 Posts
Thanks NotAClunker for confirming what I have experienced. You explained it far better. And yes, I have had a couple of those instances where I'm screaming "why am I coming to a complete stop in the middle of the road" LOL

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
It is not normal for Eyesight to try to stop the car when there's nothing in front of it. So, that's weird.

But, (I'd suspect because small frontal overlap accidents are some of the worst front collisions), it's very normal for Eyesight to react to even small overlaps.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Yes, that too. I no longer have my pile of empty file boxes to test with, or an empty parking garage to test in, otherwise I'd try to replicate some scenarios. 😔

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
I keep it on for my wife that drives the Ascent all the time, and for the rare case where it could save me from a crash.
I bought the Ascent because it felt like Eyesight interceded more accurately than Kia, Hyundai or Mazda, the other finalists. My wife's strength is impaired due to chemo and I wanted a system that would bring the car to a complete stop if needed. I had 24 hour test drives with all the contenders and tried not hitting the brakes in stop and go traffic relying on the cars' safety systems. The Ascent's worked, the others would have hit the car in front if I didn't intervene at the last second.

Having said that, I don't think that I've experienced PCB for any right turning cars. When I'm behind a right turning car, I always fade back so I don't get rear-ended when I touch the brakes if the car in front doesn't clear the lane..

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is not normal for Eyesight to try to stop the car when there's nothing in front of it. So, that's weird.

But, (I'd suspect because small frontal overlap accidents are some of the worst front collisions), it's very normal for Eyesight to react to even small overlaps.

View attachment 12612
I'd say it still acts when there's no overlap, and the gap is less than 2ft or so (a tight maneuver). Most of the times just complains with the red lights, and a few times it completely misses the mark and decides to brake. I want to clarify it was just a few times, not always, last one 2 weeks ago but definitely what the OP is saying is true: it can brake even when trying to accelerate.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I'd say it still acts when there's no overlap, and the gap is less than 2ft or so (a tight maneuver).
If it's still in the lane marking, even if there's a gap, ACC will still jam on the brakes (though I don't know what PCB will do.

To cancel automatic braking:
  • When the Pre-Collision Braking System is activated, it will continue to operate even if the accelerator pedal is partially depressed. However, it will be canceled if the accelerator pedal is suddenly or fully depressed.
  • If the driver depresses the brake pedal or turns the steering wheel, the system may determine that this constitutes evasive action by the driver, and the automatic braking control may not activate in order to allow the driver full control.

If you're floored when it activates, I'd try to up-down your foot on the gas.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
  • When the Pre-Collision Braking System is activated, it will continue to operate even if the accelerator pedal is partially depressed. However, it will be canceled if the accelerator pedal is suddenly or fully depressed.
  • If the driver depresses the brake pedal or turns the steering wheel, the system may determine that this constitutes evasive action by the driver, and the automatic braking control may not activate in order to allow the driver full control.
I'd said before that a steady throttle has effectively disabled the automatic braking in ours, but maybe I'm subconsciously reacting to the right lights and giving it a little more gas to "push through" and the system then decides that I really don't want to brake. Ours has never done the full automatic braking before (especially not to a stop), but I get red lights somewhat regularly. I'll pay closer attention next time and see if I can observe what my right foot does in response to it. :)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
16 Posts
I've experienced the braking condition being and found that I could override the braking for right/left turners in front of me be applying throttle. Took me awhile to figure that out. Nowadays I'm more aware of the collision response system and adapt while on uncontrolled access highways. It can be concerting especially when you've got a tailgater on your posterior.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, both the Eyesight Pre-Collision Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control are "too sensitive".

I've adapted by turning off the cruise control every time someone is turning from my lane in front of me and increased my following distance. Those have fixed 95% of the issues. But, occasionally I time things closer than the car likes and it flashes, beeps, and brakes on it's own.

I did have one incident where I had to squeeze through a gap between an oncoming car and a parked car while coming around a corner and it emergency braked liked we were going to head on. I turned slightly away from the oncoming car and gave it gas and the car stopped braking.

It's annoying, but it's probably better that it's over sensitive than not sensitive enough.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
1 Posts
If it's still in the lane marking, even if there's a gap, ACC will still jam on the brakes (though I don't know what PCB will do.

If you're floored when it activates, I'd try to up-down your foot on the gas.
i’ve just learned to disengage ACC when I see such a situation developing (e.g. car in front turning right or easing into an exit ramp) and then re-engage it as soon as I’m past the car.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I just hold my foot on the gas pedal until it's out of lane. Either method works. I understand the reasoning... all the car can do is calculate if it will be next to the lead car in the lane if it continues current speed (nationwide, only motorcycles are allowed to share a lane with other motorcycles), so, since it's not anticipating future actions of the lead car, it has to hang back until the lead car is fully out of the lane.

I think that's an area where humans will remain ahead of the computer for a while still.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
it's not anticipating future actions of the lead car, it has to hang back until the lead car is fully out of the lane.

I think that's an area where humans will remain ahead of the computer for a while still.
That's where intra-vehicle communications comes into play. The lead car announces that it is turning and slowing and that data gets input to the following car for appropriate action.

·
Registered
414 Posts
When not on ACC, my 2021 (also my 2019) do nothing -- probably until I'm really really close.

On ACC, it brakes for cars slowing, including those slowing and exiting the lane. It seems to want the front car completely out of the lane before it will resume the cruise -- and yeah, while that car is slowing, the Ascent is braking and keeping distance.

We humans don't mind making a judgment call and going around the exiting car in the left edge of our lane. Eyesight appears to be programmed not to do that. Takes some getting used to, like riding with a newer or very conservative driver who also wants the laned completely cleared before scooting past or even getting close.

I'm ok with it.

F.S.

Edit: Thinking more about it, I generally do turn off ACC if I'm hanging in the rightmost lane. I try not to hang there if there are three lanes - too much entering and exiting going on. More work for me, more work for ACC if I have it on. And I think ACC shows no brake lights when it's slowing, which adds risk of someone eating my tow hitch (I'd love for Subaru to make the brake lights go on when ACC uses them).

21 - 40 of 43 Posts