Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here experienced a sudden unnecessary sharp brake from the system when the vehicle ahead turns right or.left?

IS THE SYSTEM ABLE TO LOOK BEHIND YOU AND ACCOUNT FOR THAT DRIVER TOO?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
516 Posts
The crash avoidance does not handle cars turning very well. My brain processes the car making the turn in full with the current approach rate, where as the Ascent seems to process if the turning car was stopped, but you are in motion.

Far too many times the auto braking kicks in because I am not stopping for a turning car. I can even be on the brakes and it will still apply crazy cautious auto braking and/or warnings.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
Has anyone here experienced a sudden unnecessary sharp brake from the system when the vehicle ahead turns right or.left?
If the lead vehicle has not cleared what EyeSight believes is your travel path ahead, then it will begin the emergency collision avoidance, yes. It'll start with rapidly flashing the red LEDs along with sounding an audible alarm. That will quickly progress to brake intervention.

As the driver, you can override the intervention easily with input of your own. If your foot is on the gas pedal, the car will not brake sharply on its own. If your foot is on the brake and already braking, the car will not brake sharply on its own. In essence, if the car knows that you're commanding it to do something, it will not override you. If your foot is not on the brake or the gas (as if you were not paying attention or had fallen asleep), then the Ascent will intervene to prevent a potential collision.

·
Registered
516 Posts
As the driver, you can override the intervention easily with input of your own. If your foot is on the gas pedal, the car will not brake sharply on its own. If your foot is on the brake and already braking, the car will not brake sharply on its own. In essence, if the car knows that you're commanding it to do something, it will not override you. If your foot is not on the brake or the gas (as if you were not paying attention or had fallen asleep), then the Ascent will intervene to prevent a potential collision.
Not quite true. I have had the crash avoidance start to flash and I told the car to accelerate (which it did), then it started to auto brake even with me mashing on the gas more and I could not override the slowing of the vehicle. This has happened numerous times with vehicles in front of me turning right, still in my lane, but not in my path. It's actually quite annoying because I don't want to disable the feature for when it is really needed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,263 Posts
This is not unique to Subaru. My previous vehicle also occasionally misread a vehicle ahead that was decelerating into an exit ramp. That system was radar based rather than camera based.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm worried about getting rear ended in this situation.

Has it happened?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
I have had the crash avoidance start to flash and I told the car to accelerate (which it did), then it started to auto brake even with me mashing on the gas more and I could not override the slowing of the vehicle. This has happened numerous times with vehicles in front of me turning right, still in my lane, but not in my path. It's actually quite annoying because I don't want to disable the feature for when it is really needed.
I'm pretty certain it's not supposed to behave like that. You're saying that, despite you commanding the car to accelerate, EyeSight took total authority over the car and kept braking anyway? I think the EyeSight manual has a lot of discussion about this, and I recall the manual being pretty clear that the driver always has authority over EyeSight. In other words, you should be able to accelerate right into the back of another car, as long as you're commanding it with the throttle pedal.

I'm not saying you're misrepresenting what your vehicle is doing, but the behavior you've observed is, I think, in conflict with how it's designed to act. I wonder if a calibration or other type of adjustment would be helpful in your case.

I've had a lot of cases where EyeSight was more conservative than I, and wanted to auto-brake the car, but a steady foot on the throttle kept it from doing so. It's never taken total authority over my command as the driver, at least not yet...!

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Not that's been reported in the forums.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. So eyesight is a separate system from the rear view mirror camera (if equipped)?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I get the alert at times when following and the vehicle ahead slows to turn off. I know it will be gone before I get there, but Eyesight doesn't. I get warnings but have not gotten automatic breaking occurring in any situation where it wasn't appropriate. There's a sharp bend in a mountain road I drive fairly regularly and it has big arrow signs at the bend. When I approach the bend at a good clip, I sometimes get a warning, but no braking. Same thing quickly pulling into my garage or a blind parking spot. I'll get a warning if I'm not on the brakes.

FWIW: Getting rear ended is almost always better than running into something. Safety wise and legally wise.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
Okay. So eyesight is a separate system from the rear view mirror camera (if equipped)?
Yes, absolutely. EyeSight is Subaru's camera-based suite of safety and driver assist features, utilizing the two front-facing stereo cameras behind the windshield. These support the autonomous braking discussed here, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, lane centering, and adaptive cruise control.

The Smart Rear View mirror, equipped on Touring models, is a stand-alone feature intended to provide better rear vision when the passenger compartment is full of cargo or occupants. The camera for this is inside the vehicle, behind the rear glass, top and center. This feature is found only on Touring models and is independent of EyeSight, which is featured on all Ascent trims.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
766 Posts
I get the alert at times when following and the vehicle ahead slows to turn off. I know it will be gone before I get there, but Eyesight doesn't. I get warnings but have not gotten automatic breaking occurring in any situation where it wasn't appropriate. There's a sharp bend in a mountain road I drive fairly regularly and it has big arrow signs at the bend. When I approach the bend at a good clip, I sometimes get a warning, but no braking. Same thing quickly pulling into my garage or a blind parking spot. I'll get a warning if I'm not on the brakes.

FWIW: Getting rear ended is almost always better than running into something. Safety wise and legally wise.
My experience is similar, lots of flashing red lights and beeps but never had it apply the brakes for turning vehicles. It has saved my bacon and stopped the car when a van veered into my lane before I could react.

Yesterday, I got the lights and beeps as I pulled up to park by a big hedge at the golf course.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,263 Posts
The rear view mirror camera is an isolated feature only available on the Touring. It's not associated with EyeSight.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're saying that, despite you commanding the car to accelerate, EyeSight took total authority over the car and kept braking anyway?
I get red lights periodically and at point i know when it's likely to happen and I think they are reasonable when they do. i think once or twice the car might have applied brakes exactly as i did in a situation where I did need to begin slowing down. I've never had the car apply brakes in a "need to stop" situation where I didn't have my foot on or moving to the brake pedal.

The only 2x I've experienced complete intervention by the car was when strongly accelerating into a roundabout or around a right turn into heavy traffic where eyesight didn't like that I was accelerating close up behind another vehicle to fit into traffic. in these cases eyesight cut the throttle or put on the brakes (can't be sure exactly). it did not try to stop me (no "sharp braking") but it slowed my acceleration until the car in front was clearly moving away from us and then the throttle came back. in these cases I think it was also a fair assessment by eyesight though disturbing to have the throttle cut while pulling into traffic. all in all the lesson was to be aware that eyesight will react to spirited driving in traffic. To be clear, I'm not implying that anyone who gets red lights or auto braking was driving too aggressively or was not in control, but in my experience eyesight will err on the side of saving you from yourself if it cannot be sure. At this point I think I've adjusted to avoid the warnings and I'm probably safer as a result.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
252 Posts
Yeah, I've definitely noticed the "over"braking when the car in front of me is slowing and turning. I wouldn't mind as much except that it seems to not realize the car is out of the way (or soon will be) quickly enough, so it's still braking when I already know the car is no longer in my way. (or my brain has calculated that it will be long gone before I reach that spot in the road) What's interesting is that eye sight DOES seem to be able to account for a car crossing the road in front of me not being a reason to brake (if it's a decent distance as it's passing) and it seems to understand that a lane changing car that moves in front of me but is going faster than me is not a problem, compared to one at the same speed or slower, in which case it will brake if it deems it too close. So sometimes it seems smarter than I would expect it to be, and other times it seems a bit clueless (the example of overbearing for the car in front that's slowing and turning). It also occasionally gets fooled by trees that are planted super close to the curb on a windy road and think I'm going to drive straight into them, not seeing that the road turns before we'd hit the trees. No technology is perfect, of course, and overall I really like this feature and think it works remarkably well.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I think some of you are discussing Eyesight Pre-Collision Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control. They're different systems. Both can be overridden (ACC the easiest).

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm pretty certain it's not supposed to behave like that. You're saying that, despite you commanding the car to accelerate, EyeSight took total authority over the car and kept braking anyway? I think the EyeSight manual has a lot of discussion about this, and I recall the manual being pretty clear that the driver always has authority over EyeSight. In other words, you should be able to accelerate right into the back of another car, as long as you're commanding it with the throttle pedal.

I'm not saying you're misrepresenting what your vehicle is doing, but the behavior you've observed is, I think, in conflict with how it's designed to act. I wonder if a calibration or other type of adjustment would be helpful in your case.

I've had a lot of cases where EyeSight was more conservative than I, and wanted to auto-brake the car, but a steady foot on the throttle kept it from doing so. It's never taken total authority over my command as the driver, at least not yet...!
That's what I'm saying. The engine was reving as I pressed the gas, but the car was flashing, beeping and braking. Reubenmc noted the same thing above.

If no one has experienced the pre-collision braking for a turned car then you aren't close enough or fooling it enough ;)

The next time it happens I'll try to pull dash cam video. Though, it may not show a whole lot other than the car turning, hopefully some pitching of the Ascent as it brakes.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
That's what I'm saying. The engine was reving as I pressed the gas, but the car was flashing, beeping and braking. Reubenmc noted the same thing above.
Right, but, that's odd. Eyesight also manages throttle. If the system lets you rev up the engine, my understanding is it will ease up on the brakes. Or, it will apply the brakes and cut throttle, until you provide new throttle input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the instance I experienced the other day I wasn't that close. 2 of the 4 lines ACC following distance (aka 2 seconds). Not sure that PCB was a factor, or am I misunderstanding? Is that exactly what happened?

I have verified that a feather light tap on the accelerator can avoid this, but it's the opposite of what I would normally do which is ease up on the accelerator. I will literally have to train myself.

I am a habitual CC user, foot resting on the floor so there will sometimes be 1/2 second reaction time as well. Hope the system isn't faster than that!

It does seem like sometimes the car is accelerating and braking at the same time!

Thanks all for the useful info!

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
If no blinky lights, it was most likely Adaptive Cruise Control. If the red lights flashed and it felt like ABS kicking in on all four wheels, then it was likely Eyesight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts