Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An issue with my new 2020 Ascent. Anyone else seen these deposits? The vehicle is less than 2 weeks old and these deposits are on both felt type panels on either side of the engine bay. Is it a chemical reaction taking place with the panel material or lack of mold resistance in the material? It’s a crunchy texture. Is it reasonable to expect these two panels to be replaced for free under warranty?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this on my Ascent as well. I'm not sure what it is. I'm curious as to how common it is and if it's a problem worth bringing up with the dealership.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Looks like some sort of microbial growth. I will have to check on mine and report back. Can you spray it with a microbial killer and brush it off? If that does not take care of it, I would bring it to the dealer's attention.

update: My loan Ascent has this issue as well on both sides. Since my Ascent is sitting at the dealership for a warranty item for another few weeks, I will ask them to look at this growth and repair/replace if it exists.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Same here,all white in my case .Next time I wash the car will have have it with some solution and try to remove it.
These panels are made from something I’ve never seen before.They seem to be made from treated heavy duty felt then molded to shape.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Any water containing dissolved solids or organics can leave such deposits after evaporation. Typical solids would be salt and calcium. Typical organics would be pollens.

Removed dissolved solids with a mixture of water and vinegar. Remove dissolved organics with water and detergent.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Pretty sure it's pollen, which is very tough to get off of things. 😔
I"m game; how does pollen fall inside the compartment? It would have to blow in through openings between the hood and engine compartment metal frame panels or through the wiper area.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
I"m game; how does pollen fall inside the compartment? It would have to blow in through openings between the hood and engine compartment metal frame panels or through the wiper area.
It washes down off the hood past the rubber gasket, hence how it pools.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Those panels are worth their weight in gold. They keep debris from falling into the fender well, as well as tools you might be using when working on the engine. My Honda Ridgeline does not have those panels and the engine bay not only looks worse, but I have had to fish a couple of screws out from that cavernous area in the fender.

It's only a guess, but they might use that material for sound deadening. Hard plastic would actually magnify the sounds from the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
An issue with my new 2020 Ascent. Anyone else seen these deposits? The vehicle is less than 2 weeks old and these deposits are on both felt type panels on either side of the engine bay. Is it a chemical reaction taking place with the panel material or lack of mold resistance in the material? It’s a crunchy texture. Is it reasonable to expect these two panels to be replaced for free under warranty?
I've had the same exact white deposits inside my engine bay after ny 2nd week of ownership. It got worst with more white buildup. I decided to clean it with just water and a brush and it seems to have come off. A week later it came back and I noticed more than before. My guess is that it's acid vapor coming from the OEM battery. I then decided to clean it with baking soda mixed with water. After the baking soda, the white deposits disappeared for close to a month but eventually came back.

At that time I noticed my battery wasn't holding charge well via my multi-meter and found others complaining about their battery issues on this forum. I purchased a new non-OEM battery and cleaned up the white crusties again with baking soda and water. It has been 5 months now without return of the the white crusties. That leads me to think the source was the battery. I also had noted a wet spot underneath the OEM battery when I replaced it. I don't know what kind of liquid it was but I cleaned it with the baking soda and water as well.

In my closeup view of the white crusties in my engine bay, I would say they're like the white crusties that can form on battery post terminals.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am in agreement with Nextmoon. I also noticed the amount of these deposits increasing with time. I don’t think it’s pollen due to the appearance and increase of the build up and the fact it is not pollen season where I am. It does look like battery/chemical residue.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am in agreement with Nextmoon. I also noticed the amount of these deposits increasing with time. I don’t think it’s pollen due to the appearance and increase of the build up and the fact it is not pollen season where I am. It does look like battery/chemical residue.
I agree with @Robert.Mauro. It's water entering the vehicle and evaporating leaving behind mineral deposits. If it were battery acid/fumes then it would also be destroying the paint in that area of the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts