Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Touring with less than 10K miles. Curious to know if others have noticed a 'tap-like' sound coming from the shift-lock solenoid every time they come to a stop? I suppose it is 'normal' for Subaru, but it is certainly annoying for a $42K car. Interesting to learn from others if they have noticed such a sound and if there is a solution. Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
It’s the gas tank cover releasing when you stop the vehicle...I was puzzled too until the foreman at the dealer told me this

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
It’s the gas tank cover releasing when you stop the vehicle...I was puzzled too until the foreman at the dealer told me this
Every time you stop? This doesn't make sense. Maybe when you put in in park but every stop?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I'll bet it's neither the shift lock solenoid, whatever that is, nor the gas cap "releasing".

Maybe the AVH?

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hear it on mine all the time. Sounds like a solenoid or a relay doing its job, whatever that may be. I believe the sound does come from the shifter. It happens every time you release the brake, or when the car comes to a complete stop. I thought it must be the lock that prevents you from going from N to reverse or N to drive while the vehicle is moving in the wrong direction. I did not test this because if there's no such lock I would damage the transmission, of course.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
It’s the gas tank cover releasing when you stop the vehicle..
That happens when you unlock the vehicle from the driver's side door inside button...nothing to do with the shift lever.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Does it happen with AVH off?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does it happen with AVH off?
I don't use AVH, ever. And this happens consistently, every time I release the brake from stop or when pressing the brake and stopping the car completely. I've experienced it since I bought the car in October 2018. I never gave it much thought because it doesn't sound like anything is broken, it's the good kind of "click". The OP description that it sounds like a solenoid is dead accurate. Like a magnetic core moving inside a solenoid and clicking at the end of the movement. I just chose to ignore it, seems some kind of lock in into the shifter but I could never figure out what exactly is locking, and as I said before, I was never brave enough to start trying. In my imagination it's some lock to dumbproof the transmission.
Now you are making me think there might be something off since none of you ever heard it. Yours is probably there as well, perhaps in ours they forgot to put a rubber washer to prevent the noise.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
When I'm driving alone I sometimes turn off the radio so I can hear if the car is making any wired noises and I've never heard a sound like that.

Is there a solenoid that controls the brake lights or some of the safety stuff while braking? That would activate at the times you describe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't use AVH, ever. And this happens consistently, every time I release the brake from stop or when pressing the brake and stopping the car completely. I've experienced it since I bought the car in October 2018. I never gave it much thought because it doesn't sound like anything is broken, it's the good kind of "click". The OP description that it sounds like a solenoid is dead accurate. Like a magnetic core moving inside a solenoid and clicking at the end of the movement. I just chose to ignore it, seems some kind of lock in into the shifter but I could never figure out what exactly is locking, and as I said before, I was never brave enough to start trying. In my imagination it's some lock to dumbproof the transmission.
Now you are making me think there might be something off since none of you ever heard it. Yours is probably there as well, perhaps in ours they forgot to put a rubber washer to prevent the noise.
Yes, definitely a solenoid-sounding noise that I notice every time I slow down to a complete stop. I Googled it and came up with this link to an old thread:

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, definitely a solenoid-sounding noise that I notice every time I slow down to a complete stop. I Googled it and came up with this link to an old thread:

Thanks!
Mystery solved! I wonder why some are silent and some click, but I don't mind... after 2 years if I don't hear it I'd miss it, and wonder if it broke.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Is this an interlock designed to keep you from shifting into park or reverse when at speed? I don't think I've never heard this in ours, but I guess it makes sense that's what it would be if it is apparent.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I found this in the 2019 "new vehicle information" I downloaded from STIS when I had a subscription:

N-R lock controller

"This control prevents the select lever from accidentally entering the R position while driving. This is to prevent damaging parts such as the reverse brake. Once the vehicle exceeds a specific speed, the body integrated unit turns off the shift lock solenoid (in the solenoid unit) of the select lever. This activates the N-R lock mechanism, preventing the select lever from being operated from the N range to the R range and prevents the transmission from entering reverse."

By extension, I presume that once the vehicle's speed slows to below the specified speed, the body integrated unit turns on the shift lock solenoid. That's likely the noise that's heard. I haven't heard this noise in our Ascent or in the loaner vehicles I've had while our car was in for warranty work, so I wouldn't say the noise is "normal", though it does come from normal operation of the solenoid. I'd probably contact your dealer about it at the next convenient time and see if they'll perhaps replace it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found this in the 2019 "new vehicle information" I downloaded from STIS when I had a subscription:

N-R lock controller

"This control prevents the select lever from accidentally entering the R position while driving. This is to prevent damaging parts such as the reverse brake. Once the vehicle exceeds a specific speed, the body integrated unit turns off the shift lock solenoid (in the solenoid unit) of the select lever. This activates the N-R lock mechanism, preventing the select lever from being operated from the N range to the R range and prevents the transmission from entering reverse."

By extension, I presume that once the vehicle's speed slows to below the specified speed, the body integrated unit turns on the shift lock solenoid. That's likely the noise that's heard. I haven't heard this noise in our Ascent or in the loaner vehicles I've had while our car was in for warranty work, so I wouldn't say the noise is "normal", though it does come from normal operation of the solenoid. I'd probably contact your dealer about it at the next convenient time and see if they'll perhaps replace it.
I will definitely bring this up with the dealer. Yes, it is a safety feature, but I was curious to know if others in the community could hear the same noise. Since it seems that such noise is not common, I suspect that the dealer will take care of it. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there! So I recently got my Subaru ascent touring and I noticed something. As soon as I turn it off, I hear a knock by the gas tank area. It happens quick and I notice it now every time I turn off the vehicle. Is this what you are referring too? If so I will not panic as I thought it was broken with only 2,000 miles 😂

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I will definitely bring this up with the dealer. Yes, it is a safety feature, but I was curious to know if others in the community could hear the same noise. Since it seems that such noise is not common, I suspect that the dealer will take care of it. Cheers!
Have you had your dealer look at this yet? Our 2020 has gotten to the point where I can hear and feel this shift-lock solenoid every time the car slows to 7-8 mph. It's just a single "click" that you can hear and feel if your hand is on the shifter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.