Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned the Ascent for 6 months and love it, but I have noticed some weird things with the radio unit. The first problem is with music playback. I mostly listen to music through my iPhone or via Satellite radio and noticed pretty quickly the radio unit would skip out playback for a second, like losing the signal on regular radio station. It's very brief, the music is back on before you can even react. At first I thought it was just my old iPhone, but I got a new one just a few weeks ago and the same issue is happening. I started to suspect it was the radio unit before I got the new phone because I noticed the skip on Satellite radio and regular radio too now.

In the last couple of days a new issue has arrived, I love to listen to Sports talk radio in the morning but the other day all of my A.M. stations were silent, you can tune in the stations but no sound came out, if I changed to XM or FM it worked. I shut the car off and turned back on and the AM stations were playing again. That was weird. Today as I driving in, I was listening to WFAN on AM for about 15 minutes, and then it went silent again, all AM stations, but FM and XM was fine. I figure I have a bad radio but wanted to see if others are having similar issues.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Update

I've owned the Ascent for 6 months and love it, but I have noticed some weird things with the radio unit. The first problem is with music playback. I mostly listen to music through my iPhone or via Satellite radio and noticed pretty quickly the radio unit would skip out playback for a second, like losing the signal on regular radio station. It's very brief, the music is back on before you can even react. At first I thought it was just my old iPhone, but I got a new one just a few weeks ago and the same issue is happening. I started to suspect it was the radio unit before I got the new phone because I noticed the skip on Satellite radio and regular radio too now.

In the last couple of days a new issue has arrived, I love to listen to Sports talk radio in the morning but the other day all of my A.M. stations were silent, you can tune in the stations but no sound came out, if I changed to XM or FM it worked. I shut the car off and turned back on and the AM stations were playing again. That was weird. Today as I driving in, I was listening to WFAN on AM for about 15 minutes, and then it went silent again, all AM stations, but FM and XM was fine. I figure I have a bad radio but wanted to see if others are having similar issues.
There is an update out there that may fix these issues. There is a way to do it yourself if you feel comfortable doing that. Otherwise you will need to take it to the dealer to do it.

Can you tell me what version you are currently on? If you go to settings and the general section and scroll down to system information you will see version numbers. If you post them here I can tell if you if its the newest one or not.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I found the Software version, I am on Rel4.18.20.50. Is there a newer version? I'd like to try it myself, I asked my dealer about updating the software on my wife's Crosstrek last year and they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been similar issues.

XM will straight up not work when I start the car. I'll go to FM or AA for awhile. Sometimes I'll go back to XM awhile later and it will have started working. THe interesting thing is, I know it is getting a signal because the right artist and song are being displayed, and they change at the end of a song. Its just a lack of sound.

I don't believe the software update is commercially available. I planned on asking my dealer about it the next time I'm in for an oil change. If you are able to get your hands on it, please share!

·
Administrator
12,443 Posts
There sure is

So I found the Software version, I am on Rel4.18.20.50. Is there a newer version? I'd like to try it myself, I asked my dealer about updating the software on my wife's Crosstrek last year and they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks!!!
Hi, yes, there's a newer version. If your VIN is registered on Harman Kardon's site, you can find the download here (as well as instructions via the link at the bottom):
https://subaru-maps.com

Otherwise, ask your dealer to install it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.