Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a new Ascent 17 days ago. Last week we received a "check engine" with a total disabling of the Eyesight. Took it in, they had it for 2 days. And now we are receiving the same issue. We are furious. We spent a lot of money to already be in Service TWICE in 17 days. What happens when we are out of warranty. Our dealer will not take exchange it for a non-issue Ascent. Anyone else stuck with this issue?

·
Registered
542 Posts
We bought a new Ascent 17 days ago. Last week we received a "check engine" with a total disabling of the Eyesight. Took it in, they had it for 2 days. And now we are receiving the same issue. We are furious. We spent a lot of money to already be in Service TWICE in 17 days. What happens when we are out of warranty. Our dealer will not take exchange it for a non-issue Ascent. Anyone else stuck with this issue?
If it was your gas cap lose they would of found it and corrected it.

What did they say it was when it was returned?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just an FYI, it’s up to SOA for an exchange/buyback not the dealer. If you are concerned I would give SOA a call directly. Most lemon law cases give them 3 tries to fix, but every case is different! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just an FYI, it’s up to SOA for an exchange/buyback not the dealer. If you are concerned I would give SOA a call directly. Most lemon law cases give them 3 tries to fix, but every case is different! Best of luck to you!
It can vary by state what is required, so I would look it up. But typically it is X number of visits or X days in the shop, and within X months (around 12 I think). But it may not come down to that, but it does give you time, plus the warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know how many Ascents have experienced the check engine light problem? Maybe it is enough where SOA is looking for a solution, not just dealer mechanics. Also, we previously asked but did not a response - does anyone with knowledge of turbos think this problem may get worse with freezing winter weather?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Does anyone know how many Ascents have experienced the check engine light problem? Maybe it is enough where SOA is looking for a solution, not just dealer mechanics. Also, we previously asked but did not a response - does anyone with knowledge of turbos think this problem may get worse with freezing winter weather?
I've not heard of any turbo Subarus (or turbo cars in general) having problems just because it gets colder. What are you referring to?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same issue here in Portland, Oregon Subaru of Portland

Our Ascent was looked at by a "Subaru Engineer" and he said that a complete replacement of all the engine wiring from the front of the car all the way to under the dash would be needed. The part is coming tomorrow but I think we are going to delay the repair until Subaru gets this figured out. The mechanic explained that he would need to remove the front bumper cover because the wire harness includes just about everything important to the car. We are not sure what all dash board will be taken apart but will find out tomorrow. We wanted a car that was put together right the first time at the factory. Now we just might have a car that's partially built by local service department. Not something I would pay the $46,000 cost for I can assure you. I am on Subaru about this. Also when it is time to do repairs or take your car apart be sure to document with photos in case you have to go to lemon law arbitration or take any other legal action. The part looks something like this but much more involved as this one does not include eyesight.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
A CE may not be covered by lemon law. They only apply to repairs that have an impact on safety and resale value in some states.
It varies by state, for our's it doesn't matter the issue it matters how many attempted repairs for the same problem or how many total days in the shop for the same issue (within the first 18 months of purchase for a new car), or 1 attempted repair for a "serious safety defect". So if the CEL keeps coming on for the same reason and it meets the criteria it is covered. But it can absolutely vary by state.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seriously? How could anyone possibly know the answer to that question?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also 5-18 early build and no problems to report. -Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Update - after agonizing about the CEL and Eyesight shutoff issue and the proposal last week to replace the entire engine wiring harness I stopped in to check the status and got what I think might be good news. The service writing said that Subaru is not thinking the issue is software related. However a software update is not ready yet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Update - after agonizing about the CEL and Eyesight shutoff issue and the proposal last week to replace the entire engine wiring harness I stopped in to check the status and got what I think might be good news. The service writing said that Subaru is not thinking the issue is software related. However a software update is not ready yet.
"not" or "now"? two very different situations here.

·
Registered
764 Posts

The eyesight is always disabled whenever a check engine light comes. Don't over react. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd want some serious clarification with that answer.

- The hardware on all other Ascents with the same trim level is the same as yours. And presumably, they are all running the same software version (I haven't heard of any computer updates needed for them yet). That being the case... why is YOUR car affected by this software bug?

- How long are you inconvenienced by not having a working car? If this is a software fix, how long do you have to wait? Have they offered a loaner in the meantime?

Sorry, I'm a software guy, so I get a little touchy when someone says something like this is "software related". ;)

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Other than the presets issue, which I figured out, and my speed limit signs reverting to KPH (which I haven't figured out), no problems in 7,073 miles of road, beach and trail driving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts