Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this will be my first "blog" post ever. We have owned many new vehicles over the years and have purchased Suburu vehicles the last few times because of their superior safety features. We now are a six driver family.

About a month after purchasing our 2019 Ascent my husband and I experienced a tire "blow-out" on our way home from a trip. This was normal interstate driving. We put the donut on the car and drove to the nearest tire service dealer in that town. He did not have the tire and would have to order it. We also got our first lesson in AWD tire replacement. Apparently, the tire has to be the same one as the others or else the transmission can be damaged. Long story short, it took us several weeks(several backorders) to get a tire replacement and thank goodness the tires had very little wear on them or we would have to replace them all to protect the transmission. We were told a specific measurement of wear on the tire that was acceptable or we would have to sign a waiver releasing the tire dealer from any liability involving issues down the road. We had the tire dealership check the blown tire for nails, etc. and nothing could be found. We decided to keep it just in case the company decided later it was a "bad batch" of tires or something.

Today, I was woken up by my 17 year old daughter who is out of town at a tennis camp and was on her way there when another tire blew. Happening to me and my husband is one thing but happening to my daughter has gotten me very concerned about these tires. After figuring out where she was and sending an UBER to take her to camp, we were able to focus on getting the tire fixed. Once again, no one has them in stock and we are scrambling trying to figure out transportation and how to get her back home tomorrow. There is no way the donut or the car will survive the trek home. I am just putting this out here to see if anyone else has had issues. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do you have the 18" wheels or the 20" wheels? 20" wheels are a bit more prone to impact blowouts (if you hit a big pothole/curb/etc).

Check the tire pressures. They should be 33PSI IIRC (check the label inside the door to be sure). Many tires are coming overinflated to 45 PSI or more. This too would heighten the chance of an impact blowout.

Beyond that take them to Discount Tire to have them inspected. If there is a known issue with the batch or model they will know and can handle a factory reimbursement for you and get you into a better set of tires.

Falkens are generally an average brand of tire. Not the cheapest out there, but not the highest quality either.

Reactions: carlover01

·
Registered
627 Posts
currently have 18 falken have no problems, 7k on the clock. even wear, originally the PSI was set to 45 when we took delivery last year with 7 miles on the car but I've lowered it to 35 all four. Did 600 mile road trip and back WA-> CA -> WA no problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the 18, they seem pretty good. Recently took a total of 900 mile trip back and forth. It handled pretty good through big rain storm.

·
Registered
597 Posts
15K miles on my 20" tires with no issues including driving on dirt/rock roads and in Baltimore city which seems to think fixing pot holes only when fire trucks need to drive around them.

Granted I still think the stock tires are garbage and will be replacing them once they are worn out which will probably be at around 25K miles on the car as I won't trust them with even less tread on the tire.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just replaced all of the Falkens at around 27,000 miles due to an un-repairable puncture on one. They had a little tread left. Would have had to replace them within a couple of months anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went with Goodyear Assurance Weatheready. Pretty good tire so far.

My other choices were Michelin Premier LTX, which get bad reviews or Michelin Defender LTX, which weren't in stock.

·
Registered
775 Posts
It would be interesting and helpful if anybody who comes to this thread could comment on what tires they replaced their OEMs with when they got to that point. It would also be interesting if those people could come back in a couple thousand miles about what they think of the replacement tires versus the OEM tires. Seeing as I switch to winter tires for about half the year, I'm guessing I'm going to get another two years minimum out of the OE's, and like I said before, they're okay but I'll definitely go with something different when the time comes

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
There are lots of tire choice threads in the Tires area of the forum...where folks have indicated what they changed to and often why.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought the original Falken Tire’s performed relatively well for 30,000 miles. However, at 32,000 miles, the tread was getting down there. So I replaced them with the Discount Tire recommended Yokahama’s. Just came back from a 3,000 mile road trip. So far so good. Waiting to see how they do in snow.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I thought the original Falken Tire’s performed relatively well for 30,000 miles. However, at 32,000 miles, the tread was getting down there. So I replaced them with the Discount Tire recommended Yokahama’s. Just came back from a 3,000 mile road trip. So far so good. Waiting to see how they do in snow.
Which Yokohamas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replaced my Falks at 20,000 miles, had a flat that couldn’t be fixed and I couldn’t justify shaving a tire down. My local tire shop had Perelli Scorpion Verdes in stock so that’s what I went with. They get good reviews, they drive/ride fine, I haven't noticed a hit in mpg over several tanks.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I didn't have any problems with mine other than tread wear. They were replaced with General Altimax RT43 at 30K miles last week. I only have 2,000 miles on the new set and so far and they have been good.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
My local tire shop had Perelli Scorpion Verdes in stock so that’s what I went with. They get good reviews, they drive/ride fine, I haven't noticed a hit in mpg over several tanks.
Please be aware that I used them for one of the tire changes on my previous vehicle and had negative experience relative to wear...really fast...compared to the other three brands/tires I had on that vehicle over its life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please be aware that I used them for one of the tire changes on my previous vehicle and had negative experience relative to wear...really fast...compared to the other three brands/tires I had on that vehicle over its life.
I think their rated for 65 but I’d be happy if they last 50k
It’s my wife’s daily driver, they’re both insured.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
I think their rated for 65 but I’d be happy if they last 50k
It’s my wife’s daily driver, they’re both insured.
Mine were shot at about 30K and I normally get good tire life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know why the PSI on the OEMs is set so high to start with? After noticing that they are running high in a few threads, I checked ours and they are all around 40 instead of the 33 from the door sticker. That seems like something the dealer would check before delivery.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts