Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 w/17k miles. Yesterday the AC was not blowing cold air. Temps were in the mid 70s and all settings were correct. It would only give air about the same as outside temp. I was driving in central FL over the weekend in 90 degree temps and all was well.

It's not part of the WRK-20 service program. I was suspicious as dates are January 4, 2019 - March 8, 2019 and I have a March 2019 build date. I did visually inspect the location though and it appears normal. I'm not sure if I'd see leaking refrigerant anyway.

I made a service appointment and requested a loaner to still cart the family around. They said it's probably a quick repair and just low on refrigerant so would not provide a loaner. Two concerns then:

1. Why is this relatively new car leaking refrigerant?

2. If they find a leak source, what are the chances it's still going to be a quick repair? I'll have to come back later when they actually do have a loaner.

So... has anyone else had the same issue? I'd love to hear what the fix was.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
828 Posts
Yeah, the refrigerant circuit should be completely sealed. Any loss of refrigerant means there's a leak somewhere. It could be at an external fitting (like shown in the TSB). It could be in the condenser somewhere. It could be in the compressor somewhere. They shouldn't just accept that refrigerant loss happens, recharge it, and send you on your way. At the very least, they should put some leak dye in the system and have you come back in a week so they can try to find the leak under an ultraviolet light.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's my concern also. Another possibility is that the compressor clutch is malfunctioning so no refrigerant is circulating.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
828 Posts
Thanks. That's my concern also. Another possibility is that the compressor clutch is malfunctioning so no refrigerant is circulating.
Yes, that could be -- you should be able to check that yourself (run the engine and watch the A/C compressor to see if it's cycling). If it's not, it could be due to low refrigerant...or it could be due to another mechanical issue or even an electrical issue (like a relay).

I had to replace such a relay in our Honda Ridgeline last year. It would inconsistently blow warm/cold...when it was cold, it was COLD. So it seemed to be some sort of intermittent electrical issue. The seat heater relay and the A/C relay are the same part number, so I swapped them and the problem moved to the seats. So that was an easy fix. Those relays are known to be dodgy with age, though.

If the Ascent uses a relay in the electrical box to run the A/C compressor, and if the same type of relay is used for something else, you could swap them to see if the problem moves to the other component. That's probably a long shot, but it could be an easy fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2019 w/17k miles. Yesterday the AC was not blowing cold air. Temps were in the mid 70s and all settings were correct. It would only give air about the same as outside temp. I was driving in central FL over the weekend in 90 degree temps and all was well.

It's not part of the WRK-20 service program. I was suspicious as dates are January 4, 2019 - March 8, 2019 and I have a March 2019 build date. I did visually inspect the location though and it appears normal. I'm not sure if I'd see leaking refrigerant anyway.

View attachment 11861

I made a service appointment and requested a loaner to still cart the family around. They said it's probably a quick repair and just low on refrigerant so would not provide a loaner. Two concerns then:

2. If they find a leak source, what are the chances it's still going to be a quick repair? I'll have to come back later when they actually do have a loaner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They will fill it with air and put the gauges on it to see how fast it leaks out. Most hoses can be put on in less than an hour, if you have to evacuate the system that's another 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts

View attachment 11861

Since the diagnostics would not take long, maybe they can complete that step while you wait and then if they need to spend a long time repairing it, they would provide a loaner. My dealership always has a loaner for me. I can never be without a vehicle for my work so I often just leave the vehicle with them the night before and pick up the loaner then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If its warranty work ,they should have a loaner no matter what at your disposal . In that there product broke and is currently keeping you from doing what you like to do.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,088 Posts
If its warranty work ,they should have a loaner no matter what at your disposal . In that there product broke and is currently keeping you from doing what you like to do.
Not all dealers have loaners.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Yes, for any Subaru Added Security "Warranty" covered repair that requires the car to be left overnight, Subaru will reimburse up to five days for a rental. In the event the dealership has a loaner fleet, they're generally supposed to provide a vehicle from the loaner fleet, and Subaru will reimburse them directly.

In various instances, a loaner may not be available, because there simply aren't any. Dealerships can't just loan out dealer stock. Dealer sales stock is not generally registered or insured for such use.

In the event a dealership will not provide a loaner for any covered repair that requires the car to be left overnight, there are people who can help.

In the event a covered repair does not require keeping the car overnight, the dealership is not required to provide a loaner. But, various dealerships will provide "shuttle service" if it's going to be a long day of working on your car, and shuttle you back to home/work, and pick you back up when your car is ready, later in the day.

I hope that covers everything... if not, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I learned about the loaner policies from my dealer and also another local one.
1. My dealer currently only has loaners outbacks and foresters as loaners. I asked about the Ascent they gave me recently. Cars get sent to them by subaru specifically to be a loaner. They don't pick random ones from their stock. After 6000 miles and the first service, the car gets sold as certified pre-owned. I'd seen some stock of extremely low mile cars for sale there and thought "wow, i guess the owner just couldn't stand it and made a trade right away."
They actually have none available for about 2 weeks. I moved the appt out two weeks to when they do. Luckily it's not TOO hot here yet.

2. I called dealer #2 to see if they have any sooner appts and loaners. No definitive answer on that but they did say they only offer loaners for warranty or emergency situations and this repair wouldn't qualify. They also don't have an available time until May.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
2. I called dealer #2 to see if they have any sooner appts and loaners. No definitive answer on that but they did say they only offer loaners for warranty or emergency situations and this repair wouldn't qualify. They also don't have an available time until May.
Their explanation is incomplete.

If you are covered by the TSB, and (a) within the 3Y/36K warranty, or (b) within the Gold Plus or Classis "warranties"), then this IS a warranty covered issue. Period.

It's in TSB 10-92-19.

IF you are under one of the Gold/Classic "warranties", and have to leave your car overnight, you qualify for a loaner. But, that should NOT happen. This repair SHOULD take under 3 hours, meaning, they should schedule it early enough that the car does not stay there overnight, in which case, you're not eligible for a loaner. That's why a loaner doesn't apply.

As for safety related issues ("emergency situations"), yes, they're required to do their utmost to get you a loaner if you come in with a safety related issue. And, if they can't, Subaru will help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not part of the TSB according the mysubaru app. It ought to just be normal warranty work under the 3/36.

A shuttle service would probably be fine but my dealer is ~45min away. Dealer #2 didn't mention one either. It's moot though as their next appointment is May.

I asked the service advisor to speculate on the cause and he said it's probably just a leaking hose/tube and should only take a few hours if parts are in stock.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Yep, shuttle services are a dealers specific thing that's above and beyond normal offerings. And, since it's not an overnight, it wouldn't qualify for a loaner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look through the grill with a flashlight and see if you can spot any suspicious anomalies on the AC condenser. A rock through the grill can puncture a tube and there goes your refrigerant. This is a relatively frequent thing on the Ascent. They can be hard to find, so even if you don't find one, don't rule it out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look through the grill with a flashlight and see if you can spot any suspicious anomalies on the AC condenser. A rock through the grill can puncture a tube and there goes your refrigerant. This is a relatively frequent thing on the Ascent. They can be hard to find, so even if you don't find one, don't rule it out.
Great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. 🤦‍♂️
I checked it out this morning and all appears normal. There's no damage or even bent fins on the condenser.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dropped it off for service this morning. They set me up in a 21 Forester Premium. Not a bad car so far, it feels a lot like a mini Ascent mostly just due to the common controls. Lacks that turbo kick though. :)

ANYWAY, the service writer just sent me this picture of the AC condenser. ....crap.... They UV tested it and are sure that's the leak.

He says it'll be right under $800 to replace. The part is $300 retail so the rest is labor and refrigerant. About 3 days since they don't have the part.

This was not readily visible through the grille but i guess a tiny rock / debris worked its way upwards.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's a pretty big hit. Your comprehensive insurance may cover the repair, subject to your deductible, IF you want to go that route. It may or may not be worth the trouble to do so, depending on a lot of things. Sorry that you are now one of the folks to have to deal with this. Also, you could call Subaru's HQ and talk to them about covering the repair due to a faulty grill design. A few folks have gotten some help from Subaru doing so. The ones that I have heard about were "One time, customer satisfaction" deals. That might be a longshot, but with only 17K miles on the car, it is a possibility.

HTH

Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts