Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My preorder came in yesterday. Took it for a test drive today. They even approved my VIP pricing but I just couldn't pull the trigger.

I wanted to lease but the lease payments were pretty rediculous. Subaru isn't doing any favors. My wife still has 5 more months on her current lease I wonder if the rates will be better?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Interest rates will not be going lower. In fact, the Federal Reserve Bank expects to raise interest rates a couple of more times this year. When they raise rates - it's them charging banks that borrow a higher rate. Of course, that will then get passed on to the consumer.

Here is a short summary from their minutes: The Fed anticipates hiking rates three times in total in 2018, part of an ongoing move away from the extraordinary measures it took to stimulate the economy during and after the Great Recession. But the central bank opened the door to potentially doing four hikes. Higher rates are likely to be welcomed by savers but not by borrowers, who will face more expensive loan terms. (March 21, 2018, Washington Post)

The March 2018 increase was 0.25% - on money they loan to banks overnight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you give me your details like MF? I have really good credit and was offered .00175. maybe it's regional? It was like $650 a month for a touring with 3k down.
.00175 would be 4.2%

To convert interest rates to money factors, divide the interest rate by 2,400. To convert money factors to interest rates, multiply by 2,400

650 dollars for a Subaru lease seems really high. I am waiting to see what the '19 pilot has. They are predicting some changes and my lease is not up on my BMW until December anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you give me your details like MF? I have really good credit and was offered .00175. maybe it's regional? It was like $650 a month for a touring with 3k down.
.00175 would be 4.2%

To convert interest rates to money factors, divide the interest rate by 2,400. To convert money factors to interest rates, multiply by 2,400

650 dollars for a Subaru lease seems really high. I am waiting to see what the '19 pilot has. They are predicting some changes and my lease is not up on my BMW until December anyway.
Ya 650 was for a touring at pretty much sticker price.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Because you want to fit 3 kids in the 3rd row?....That's really all I got.
The XC90 is a beautiful vehicle.
$650 for a touring Ascent seems very high but I suppose that's what it is @MSRP. I don't think you can get a top of the line XC90 for that price though, maybe the base model?

·
Registered
277 Posts
For this much money if I perseonnaly were to lease (I buy, use for 10 years, sell myself, rinse repeat) I would only look at luxury segment.

I don’t think it’s very basic (from their web site ?

Lease:
XC90 T5 Momentum*
$509 /39 Mo. $4,609 cash due at signing

XC90 T6 AWD Momentum Plus**
$589 /39 Mo. $4,689 cash due at signing

XC90 T8 Plug-in Hybrid eAWD Momentum***
$685 /39 Mo. $4,785 cash due at signing

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealership accept our VIP incentive 2 months ago. Car arrived Friday and they called 1 day later to tell us the can't honor it now. Talked to the GM, he said it's ridiculous Subaru allowed this car on the list for being brand new. He said it's up to the dealerships discretion to honor it. It was a pretty awesome discount. I just don't understand why they led us on for 2 months thinking we were getting invoice pricing, they knew from the beginning. He said the car is high demand and mentioned if we don't want it anymore, they'll sell it next day. I think this is bad business practice and they likely lost a first time Subaru customer for life!

·
Registered
292 Posts
The dealership accept our VIP incentive 2 months ago. Car arrived Friday and they called 1 day later to tell us the can't honor it now. Talked to the GM, he said it's ridiculous Subaru allowed this car on the list for being brand new. He said it's up to the dealerships discretion to honor it. It was a pretty awesome discount. I just don't understand why they led us on for 2 months thinking we were getting invoice pricing, they knew from the beginning. He said the car is high demand and mentioned if we don't want it anymore, they'll sell it next day. I think this is bad business practice and they likely lost a first time Subaru customer for life!
Did you get the agreement to vip pricing in writing? Any purchase order confirming the discounted price?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did too. I have paid $1000 deposit and have signed and dated “vehicle locate” agreement with agreed upon price and exact list of options and color.

Printout with von number is included.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It's stuff like this happening is why I've been very open from the get go (back in February) that we're selling them for MSRP until our local market conditions dictate otherwise. And why @Jason and I have said exactly this, neither of us expected the car to NOT be on the VIP exclusion list and yes, it is dealer discretion about honoring the this. He and I have both been open about what our respective dealerships can and will do. I'd much rather have my manager yell at me for including a 7 year Starlink in the deal without charging you extra for it because you knew up front what you were actually paying for the car, than have you think you were getting a big discount and then finding out you're not.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think the lease itself sucks for this car. I got a price almost invoice for a limited and my 36/10 was almost 500 a month with 4k down

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think the lease itself sucks for this car. I got a price almost invoice for a limited and my 36/10 was almost 500 a month with 4k down
Depending on the trim level the money factor/lease rate converts to a 3% to 4% percent interest rate where an outback is 1% to 2% right now. Just like the purchase interest rate is higher, the lease rate is higher as well. Subaru is going to take advantage of the high demand while they can.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I thought my lease was pretty good actually ... 200-300 less than if I had bought outright
That makes sense, but how much money did you have to put down? Divide that number by 36 or 39 months and add that to your present lease payment to get the real payment. Then, figure out the payment for your residual at the end of the lease. Probably around another $600 for 48 months. Leasing this vehicle offers no savings whatsoever over purchasing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We did, we have all documentation and including e-mails confirming the price.
This is the kind of dishonest BS that really ticks me off.

If you have it in documentation, and you still want the car for that price, I would honestly consult a lawyer or take the dealer to small claims court. I might even go so far as to write to SOA and send them copies of the documentation along with a note saying you intend to seek legal counsel to see if they can pressure the dealer as well.
I suspect once they see an actual summons, they will back down and decide it's not worth the hassle for $4-5K.

just my
$0.02
-C

EDIT: not a lawyer, so maybe this won't hold water, but is a preorder considered a legal document? I guess that's the key. That, plus whether an email will suffice in a judge's eyes as a binding agreement on the part of the dealer...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts