Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don’t mean reading from the Indio port or reading day from the CANbus. Playing with something I interpreted as manipulating for altering in some way. But FYI Subaru’s penchant for voiding any warranty claim starts with if you touch anything it voids the warranty. I’ve been told that you could literally tighten a bolt and they will consider it modified. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that is what at least 2 dealer service departments have said to me.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
But FYI Subaru’s penchant for voiding any warranty claim starts with if you touch anything it voids the warranty. I’ve been told that you could literally tighten a bolt and they will consider it modified. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that is what at least 2 dealer service departments have said to me.
Fortunately, they're both horribly wrong. I've run an adapter on my Subies forever. My service centers pull it, do their tests, and plug it back in when done, and cover all warranty issues.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Fortunately, they're both horribly wrong. I've run an adapter on my Subies forever. My service centers pull it, do their tests, and plug it back in when done, and cover all warranty issues.
Same here. I always have an OBDII adapter plugged into my Ascent for my DashCommand app. My dealer has never even mentioned it. I also modify most vehicles I own (within reason) and have never had a warranty issue.

It would take something significant to void the warranty, like perhaps a radical ECM tuning.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP: are you surprised that the electrical network(s) uses CANbus techn
no. I was asking if anyone has started sniffing around on it. I've done it on other vehicles, and I hadn't started on this one yet. At what point did I say I was surprised?

I don’t mean reading from the Indio port or reading day from the CANbus. Playing with something I interpreted as manipulating for altering in some way. But FYI Subaru’s penchant for voiding any warranty claim starts with if you touch anything it voids the warranty. I’ve been told that you could literally tighten a bolt and they will consider it modified. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that is what at least 2 dealer service departments have said to me.
Those are two misinformed service departments. Magnussen-Moss warranty act prevents deceptive warranty claims like you stated they made, currently living under an NDA signed due to a successful claim against FoMoCo. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Coding on the CanBus is actual long quite common, and can be very powerful.

The ability to change and correct things the manufacturer refuses to. itd be nice if someone wrote an app for the Ascent.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Slightly off track, but since people are talking about modifications, if I get an after-market remote starter ( both the box store, and my local shop recommended compustar vs. Viper) will that give the dealership a reason to deny a warranty claim if I have any ignition related problems.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Slightly off track, but since people are talking about modifications, if I get an after-market remote starter ( both the box store, and my local shop recommended compustar vs. Viper) will that give the dealership a reason to deny a warranty claim if I have any ignition related problems.
Not unless they could prove that the aftermarket device caused the ignition problem(s). What "proof" they can get away with is a different question... ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Depends on where you go. In general, I would say most service departments will say that it voids the warranty as it is directly connected to the ignition system. If you have a very good service department, they won’t automatically void the warranty and will do their job to discover the problem. In my case I had to go to SOA directly when the dealership denied warranty on a strut issue because I have an aftermarket strut tower bar and voiced my frustration at their lack of good judgement. In the end SOA covered the repair out of warranty. But my issue could not be proven in either direction, so technically should have been covered under warranty.

·
Registered
731 Posts
BimmerCode is a very popular app to mess with the CanBus on newer Bimmers and has preset stuff to enable and disable stuff. Anyway, a side-effect sometimes is it will hose up small things like the driver's footwell light no longer works, even after a restore to factory settings. Prime example where screwing around with CanBus can get you into trouble. Now those people have to live with their issue (there's actually an involved fix for the example I mentioned), attempt to fix it themselves (good luck) or pay the dealer massive amounts out of pocket, and live with a voided warranty on anything that remotely touches the CanBus system. Tread lightly, and be prepared to pay to play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve been tweaking vehicle settings on my Volkswagens for years using an OBD2 cable and a laptop. There’s now even a Bluetooth transmitter that works with a mobile app.

Would be nice if I could bump the lane change signaling up to five blinks on the Ascent. I was able to do this on my SJ Forester by using Diode’s SmartTap relay, but that’s not an option for the Ascent.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I’ve been tweaking vehicle settings on my Volkswagens for years using an OBD2 cable and a laptop. There’s now even a Bluetooth transmitter that works with a mobile app.

Would be nice if I could bump the lane change signaling up to five blinks on the Ascent. I was able to do this on my SJ Forester by using Diode’s SmartTap relay, but that’s not an option for the Ascent.
Your example is probably actually safer as you know what you’re doing. 95% of people downloading coding apps to do it have no clue what they’re doing and are relying solely on the app designers knowledge of a particular car’s, particular model year’s particular CanBus setting/version.

·
Registered
731 Posts
LOL @ change control. Mine too. This is technically “hers”. I had it all half ripped apart the day we got it home from the dealer and it’s been apart in some fashion ever since at various times. Sound deadening, new subwoofer installs, complete LED upgrades etc. She’ll come out to the garage to briefly say hi and look at her car half torn apart, eyes will get big and she’ll just turn around.

I remember the day I brought her new ‘14 Forester XT home, I had the entire front bumper pulled, headlights out, both headlights baking in the oven for a projector HID retrofit.
That was pretty funny. The look she gave me when she saw the whole thing.

She’s usually always good with whatever I’m doing and will help out if I need a tool or her to hold something. Says she enjoys watching me “engaged” on a project, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts