Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody thinking of downsizing to the new Outback from the Ascent especially the folks that are leasing? From the pics it appears to have a more upscale interior with the the same engine as the Ascent. It should be faster and handle a bit sharper and cost a little less.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't because I bought my Ascent Touring specifically for the larger size to replace my 7 year old top trim Grand Cherokee. We'd consider Gen 6 Outback when my better half decides it's time to replace her Gen 5 Outback, but she may actually want to step down in size to an Imprezza or Crosstrek at that point since her driving is largely commuting to the train station and other local needs. And in either case, we don't feel the need for the larger engine on either vehicle. But I'm sure there are going to be folks that may find that the Outback is a more ideal size for their needs than the Ascent they are driving currently and it will be an excellent choice for them to consider.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Ascent in my opinion is in a different league. The ability to carry 7/8 or a lot more cargo is important. No matter how nice the OB looks, you can’t do more than 5. This makes it attractive to a coach/carpool dad like me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nope. I got the Ascent to replace my Outback, which was totaled in a head-on collision with a big pickup truck when the truck decided to cross lanes and drive into me. The Outback kept me relatively safe (compared to how bad it could have been), but I got the worst of it... in part because of the angles involved, but also because the pickup truck had a ~1500 lb weight advantage. I wanted a bigger car with more mass in case it happens again, and I wanted a Subaru. Hence, the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Had the 2020 Outback come out before the Ascent, I would have likely purchased the XT. The Outback is the quintessential Subaru while the Ascent is Subaru's version of a 3-row CUV if that makes any sense. I can live with the space the OB provides 99% of the time and can add a roof box when more storage is needed. With the Ascent and my 3-person family, everything fits inside and I have not had the need for a roof box. But really, they're both great cars. I will stick with the Ascent because I already have it and it's serving us well. It would also cost less to keep the Ascent, while having the "better" vehicle of the two.

A bonus for me is that the extra people capacity has already come in handy several times over 10,000 miles of driving. I did load it up with people for a long trip, but I think that's not too ideal as we were really crammed in there. Where it really comes in handy is when you've already met with other people and you need to get to a restaurant, trailhead, etc. Then you can pile two car's worth of people into the Ascent for shuttling duties. Just this past Mother's day, we took my parents along to brunch downtown. They would probably not venture into the city without me, so it was very handy to get my parents out in the city and enjoying a fancy $1000 meal (which I did not have to pay for, thank goodness).

Now if Subaru would make the Crosstrek XT already, I might be wiling to get one of those in addition to the Ascent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Going to look into one, but will likely keep the Ascent. Main thing I like, but do not need with the Ascent is the ability to tow a decent amount of weight. The overall size has it's pros and cons. If the 2020 Outback XT was currently available and it towed over 3500lbs, would have one of those. Have only had the Ascent for a couple weeks, so am still getting used to it overall.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it looks a little better although I'm not thrilled by the extensive plastic on the front and rear bumpers. Trying a bit to hard IMO

·
Registered
104 Posts
New 2020 Outback Would Be Great

Just got our 2019 Ascent Limited 6 weeks ago and love it. Having said that, the 2020 Outback XT with the turbo engine from the Ascent should be a super vehicle, which I would probably prefer over the Ascent. However our daughter has 4 kids, so whenever my wife and I visit her, that means 7 people and we need the extra passenger capacity of the Ascent. We had a 2011 Outback and a 2012 Forester, but I traded in the Forester for the Ascent.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Amen![/QUOTE
Empty nester, one grand child. Leased it after my 16 outback limited. Pretty sure it will be going bye-bye but I could keep it .It is a great car but Subaru built this to a certain price point and to my eye there are to many short cuts on the quality side. I'm hoping the new Outback will be a little better. Checked out the 19 Forester, Its ok but the arm rest does not even slide making uncomfortable for me. I'm even ok with the lame 182hp engine.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Our family is 4 plus 2 large dogs. The Outback would certainly be an option if I didn’t occasionally need to bring along more people. We made do with the Ridgeline or my wife’s Elantra to pick up my mom or her dad but there’s been occasions where we really could have used the space to get both, now we can. Or could even load it up with my sis and her fam with the 8seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts