Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any luck with a discount in San Diego? I'm getting MSRP quotes from Kearny Mesa Subaru. El Cajon is playing games, and Carlsbad I honestly haven't contacted yet (Got my Outback there. I went in for the Costco price, but I ended up having to haggle anyway - they completely ignored the Costco agreement).

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Has anybody had any luck with a discount in San Diego? I'm getting MSRP quotes from Kearny Mesa Subaru. El Cajon is playing games, and Carlsbad I honestly haven't contacted yet (Got my Outback there. I went in for the Costco price, but I ended up having to haggle anyway - they completely ignored the Costco agreement).
I don't think I saw anyone on here from there: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6thrayCkWPoa8NmrKc4lNQ/edit?ts=5b27e64c#gid=0

I can recommend a few places near Orange County assuming you were going to make the drive up eventually. PM me if you want their info

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in North County and the closest Costco approved dealership is Bakersfield. The closest place that will give you ASPCA VIP Discount is Ocean subaru in Fullerton. Order one last week and was given a late November/early December delivery date. None of the dealerships in San Diego would budge on VIP discount or Costco. Most stating that they will only let go at MSRP and It will be a few months (since release) before they consider any discounts.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in North County and the closest Costco approved dealership is Bakersfield. The closest place that will give you ASPCA VIP Discount is Ocean subaru in Fullerton. Order one last week and was given a late November/early December delivery date. None of the dealerships in San Diego would budge on VIP discount or Costco. Most stating that they will only let go at MSRP and It will be a few months (since release) before they consider any discounts.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the information. I'm also in North County. Our area is a tough one, but I took delivery on 8/19!

The car with the specs I wanted was already in transit to Kearny Mesa, so I had to make a decision to pursue or wait. I went for the pursuit. I had done everything I could from my desk, so I braced a whirlwind of activity as I got into a more serious mode. Life is busy, so I could really only get the ball rolling via email. Before that point, any dealer that had asked me to come into the showroom did not get any further. On 8/7 (same day I started this thread), the internet manager from KMS emailed me. After a couple of emails I was able to get a modest discount off of MSRP by asking. We didn't even speak on the phone until I called on 8/8 to put a deposit in on the exact Ascent I wanted. It arrived on 8/17, so about a 10-day wait in my situation. I was being told October for a factory order...

I still wasn't ready to complete the deal until I saw what they'd do for me on my trade. This was the only 'wildcard' I had when going in and I was prepared to walk away. They offered 2k over KBB, which offset the small discount I negotiated. I've never had a dealer come in over KBB - it's usually lower. I also used a $500 loyalty coupon. In the end, it was like getting $3k off MSRP and exactly the KBB trade-in value for my old car - a fair deal in my opinion, especially in SoCal.

I like KMS. They are the most straightforward to deal with in SD. They also provided the a great quote for a new Outback back in 2012, but I went to Carlsbad for the Costco price. Funny thing is Carlsbad totally ingnored the Costco deal. I had just met the internet lady for about 3 seconds, but was quickly handed over to a normal salesguy. I asked what the price was, and he quoted the sticker! Luckily I had the quote from KMS in my pocket so I used that as leverage. I probably ended up beating the Costco price that day anyway. Serves them right.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I’m on a road trip in SD right now! I still haven’t seen any ascents yet during this trip and I’ve been looking around. Hopefully I’ll see one of yours in SD (or LA) in the next couple days while I’m still here!

Subaru is paying for my car rental (ended up renting a Ford Explorer) because my Ascent is delayed.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the information. I'm also in North County. Our area is a tough one, but I took delivery on 8/19!

The car with the specs I wanted was already in transit to Kearny Mesa, so I had to make a decision to pursue or wait. I went for the pursuit. I had done everything I could from my desk, so I braced a whirlwind of activity as I got into a more serious mode. Life is busy, so I could really only get the ball rolling via email. Before that point, any dealer that had asked me to come into the showroom did not get any further. On 8/7 (same day I started this thread), the internet manager from KMS emailed me. After a couple of emails I was able to get a modest discount off of MSRP by asking. We didn't even speak on the phone until I called on 8/8 to put a deposit in on the exact Ascent I wanted. It arrived on 8/17, so about a 10-day wait in my situation. I was being told October for a factory order...

I still wasn't ready to complete the deal until I saw what they'd do for me on my trade. This was the only 'wildcard' I had when going in and I was prepared to walk away. They offered 2k over KBB, which offset the small discount I negotiated. I've never had a dealer come in over KBB - it's usually lower. I also used a $500 loyalty coupon. In the end, it was like getting $3k off MSRP and exactly the KBB trade-in value for my old car - a fair deal in my opinion, especially in SoCal.

I like KMS. They are the most straightforward to deal with in SD. They also provided the a great quote for a new Outback back in 2012, but I went to Carlsbad for the Costco price. Funny thing is Carlsbad totally ingnored the Costco deal. I had just met the internet lady for about 3 seconds, but was quickly handed over to a normal salesguy. I asked what the price was, and he quoted the sticker! Luckily I had the quote from KMS in my pocket so I used that as leverage. I probably ended up beating the Costco price that day anyway. Serves them right.
Thanks for the info! Appreciate all the information your shared. Sounds like you and I are/were in a very similar situation. I have a 2015 Forester that I’m wanting to trade towards the Ascent as well. Perhaps reaching out to KMS and pursuing it a different way is in order.

Do you mind sharing/DMing me what model and features you got along with the pricing?

Lastly, We also bought the Subaru from Carlsbad using Costco. It was our first new car purchase and the pricing they gave beat out the other dealership we looked at so we just went for it (same experience, talked to the internet lady for 2 minutes and then she had the sales guy show us the binder and price). This time around though we are trying to help ourselves by shopping around for the best deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm located in San Diego, and I also have been on the hunt for an Ascent. Here has been my experience so far.

Bob baker - I purchased through costco last time and got a deal on a Forester, they were my first place to try and told me no costco pricing was available at this time
KMS - They would only budge 500.00 off MSRP
El Cajon Subaru - They offered to match Costco pricing that I got from Bakersfield, but no units available for a few weeks.
Frank - MSRP

I ended up reserving a inbound White Limited unit from a dealer in LA County, and got the car for 3k under MSRP (set to deliver next week). Do not let these local dealers tell you that no one is making deals. They are out there, you just need to search. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm located in San Diego, and I also have been on the hunt for an Ascent. Here has been my experience so far.

Bob baker - I purchased through costco last time and got a deal on a Forester, they were my first place to try and told me no costco pricing was available at this time
KMS - They would only budge 500.00 off MSRP
El Cajon Subaru - They offered to match Costco pricing that I got from Bakersfield, but no units available for a few weeks.
Frank - MSRP

I ended up reserving a inbound White Limited unit from a dealer in LA County, and got the car for 3k under MSRP (set to deliver next week). Do not let these local dealers tell you that no one is making deals. They are out there, you just need to search. Good Luck
My condolences for having to drive to LA.

Just kidding. Enjoy that new Ascent when it arrives! If you have a trade, may their offer be generous!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My condolences for having to drive to LA.

Just kidding. Enjoy that new Ascent when it arrives! If you have a trade, may their offer be generous!
Lol thanks! I do avoid LA like the plague these days with that horrible traffic.

No trade in for me, so no extra leverage to get a better deal. Just a few more days until I receive, Ill post pics once I get her home!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts