Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

Registered
EDIT: I just caught up to the rest of the thread and saw this.

Never mind... lol!

Hey, make sure you deflate that spare (and obviously carry a compressor to inflate it if it's ever needed) if you plan on off-roading with it. I'd suggest a better location for it than there for off roading. It will grab on hills. I bent my 7 pin trailer harness bracket and the bracket that holds the right mid side of my rear bumper cover.
@Robert.Mauro, I was very concerned about the tire being under the car before doing the springs, every now and then it would rub when I backed into a parking spot with a high curb.
I love the hitchgate solo but I and constantly getting stuff in and out of the back which becomes very annoying very quickly.
As for off-roading...I need to get skid plates before trying anything I will definitely regret 馃槍

Administrator
@Robert.Mauro, I was very concerned about the tire being under the car before doing the springs, every now and then it would rub when I backed into a parking spot with a high curb.
I love the hitchgate solo but I and constantly getting stuff in and out of the back which becomes very annoying very quickly.
As for off-roading...I need to get skid plates before trying anything I will definitely regret 馃槍
I'm in love with my Primitive Racing skids. Make sure you get the front lip for the front skids.

Registered
Hi Tuanvo, i'm also in the market of choosing a subtle lift for my 19 ascent. First choice was the LP but now i found this thread i've been more and more convinced to get it and also because it's alot less money than LP. . . did you ever try to load up the car and see how much the "droop/sag" there was just with the springs before the RSS, and after?

Thanks in advance.

Ian 馃
Sorry I never did the loaded comparison before & after the RSS installation. However, when unloaded, the final lift is the same with or without RSS (which only makes sense because the RSS has nothing to do with the actual lift height). And...most (if not all except me) people on here (such as Soca) who did install the springs never installed the RSS and it worked fine for them. I only did it for peace of mind of knowing for sure it's in spec. So I think you'll be fine either way.

Registered
Has anyone used lift springs to increase clearance and weight capacity?

We're currently putting off going with a lift kit until we know more about how it'll impact the Ascent, but we heard about using lift springs instead, to replace the stock springs. The idea was that it might help out with load on the car when we're towing.

What are the gotchas here?

Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Ascent's suspension is designed to fully support the cargo and towing limits within its specifications without modifications like this.

Registered
Has anyone used lift springs to increase clearance and weight capacity?

We're currently putting off going with a lift kit until we know more about how it'll impact the Ascent, but we heard about using lift springs instead, to replace the stock springs. The idea was that it might help out with load on the car when we're towing.

What are the gotchas here?
Yeah I installed the eibach springs on my ascent. They result in s 1.7 inch front and 1.4 inch rear lift. I added a 0.5 strut top spacer to make the rear 1.9 inches.
I had the LP 2 inch lift on my previous car (2018 Outback) and I honestly prefer the spring lift as it improves handling, is cheaper and will not result in the 18mph wobble that a number of subarus develop after the lift kit.

Registered
Yeah I installed the eibach springs on my ascent. They result in s 1.7 inch front and 1.4 inch rear lift. I added a 0.5 strut top spacer to make the rear 1.9 inches.
I had the LP 2 inch lift on my previous car (2018 Outback) and I honestly prefer the spring lift as it improves handling, is cheaper and will not result in the 18mph wobble that a number of subarus develop after the lift kit.
Thanks so much for this lead, and for the heads up about the wobble. I see now that quite a few here have been talking (positively) about the eibach pro-lift-kit, which is definitely helping me get a better understanding of this.

Registered
So how have the springs been treating you so far? Any issues?

Registered
So how have the springs been treating you so far? Any issues?
Springs have been great so far, no issues aside from a tiny squeak when I hit a bump on the passenger side that drives me crazy. The stock struts seem to be holding up well.
The springs are OEM height under no load so do not seem to impact the stock struts in any way.

Registered
... and to piggy back on this, how are the stock struts (and shocks?) holding up?
thanks for the info!
So you don鈥檛 feel a need for any kind of strut spacers or anything to compensate? Sorry....just really want to be sure about this before I pull the trigger on any mod.

Registered
Was just wondering if anyone has eibach lift springs installed?
Pics?
Just installed them and was wondering if its gowing to lower a bit after they settle?
So, since you鈥檝e had these on for a while now, have you had any issues? Struts/Shocks holding up ok? Any need for spacers to help compensate the struts? Any towing issues ?

Registered
thanks for the info!
So you don鈥檛 feel a need for any kind of strut spacers or anything to compensate?Sorry....just really want to be sure about this before I pull the trigger on any mod.
Strut spacers are not necessary as the springs give you a 1.7鈥 front and 1/4鈥 rear lift based on the fact that they are stiffer that OEM.
That being said, I added a 0.5鈥 spacer in the back (1.9鈥 lift total) for the only reason that I had one lying around and wanted to try it out.

Administrator
Be aware that CV joints will wear quicker with that much lift (as cool as it is).

Registered
Ascent's suspension is designed to fully support the cargo and towing limits within its specifications without modifications like this.
This is understood...but if you frequently drive around with 5-7 people in the car, the rear of the car squats a lot and you are effectively riding the bump stops. This is neither the most comfortable ride, and is rough on the suspension/chassis. I've contemplated the spring lift for this same reason. Its not to increase load carrying capacity, but to keep the car off the bump stops when I go visit grandma with the kids.

I'd like to be able to have an aftermarket strut available to mate to the stiffer springs as well. Koni, Bilstein...are you listening? lol

Registered
Be aware that CV joints will wear quicker with that much lift (as cool as it is).
Whether you go up (lift) or down (drop) the CV axles are no longer working in their designed angles, so yes wear can accelerate.

Although, if he used the 0.5" spacers on the back...shouldn't that bring things back into alignment somewhat because the body was lifted off of the subframe creating body lift, not suspension lift?

Administrator
"Whether you go up (lift) or down (drop) the CV axles are no longer working in their designed angles, so yes wear can accelerate."

Well, not quite. Down straightens the geometry, putting the axles straight, and doesn't accelerate wear.

"Although, if he used the 0.5" spacers on the back...shouldn't that bring things back into alignment somewhat because the body was lifted off of the subframe creating body lift, not suspension lift?"

Yes, for most components. It adds other challenges, such as doing it in a way that preserves vehicle frame strength. People have ripped apart suspension parts on lighter Subies by using poorly designed spacers. Especially for off-roading, proper spacer design is important. Some of the best I've seen aren't washer style or block style spacers, but entire support pieces that span the length of a "lifted" (lowered) subframe piece (eg: runs from front mount hole to back mount hole). I don't know if I've seen such for the Ascent yet.

It also helps with wheel position. Especially for the rear wheels.

Registered
"Whether you go up (lift) or down (drop) the CV axles are no longer working in their designed angles, so yes wear can accelerate."

Well, not quite. Down straightens the geometry, putting the axles straight, and doesn't accelerate wear.
You are correct, but the overall length of the axle shortens when they are straight which creates other issues as well. I also intended the comment for those who think lower is better and slam the hell out of their cars...don't see that happening with the Ascent...fingers crossed!

Administrator
I'm watching about a half dozen people who want to slam their Ascent. Problem is, it's not an Outback, which was a Leggy on a lift. The Ascent has no lift to remove. It also has no sister model that sits lower to scavenge parts from to lower it.

I believe they're stuck at those problems. We'll see if they get somewhere soon, I suspect.

The axles are designed to run straight, with zero issues. It allows for loading down the rear, for instance. It happens pretty often.

There's enough left on the spindles that go into the differentials to easily allow that, so, even slammed, no problems with axles or joints.

A BIG problem with a lift that doesn't include the spacers (besides eating CV joints) is slipping a shaft out of the differential when the suspension is fully articulated downwards (or eating the splines by hitting the edge of the spline and unmating it from the diff). I've watched this happen on trails with people who own decently lifted XVs.

We have the benefit of being considerably wider, so, a lift that causes any of those issues has to be a little bit higher than what it takes to cause the issues on a Crosstrek. Jeremy and his 4" lifted Ascent (with frame spacers) found a bunch of those issues. The people at Anderson seemed to think it's just a half inch more than what a Crosstrek can accommodate without frame spacers (based on the height the recommend frame spacers).

We don't have the luxury of easily available adjustable length (or different length) control arms, and camber bolts designed for the Ascent - yet.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts