Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Received the Primitive rear subframe spacers kit last week and the Eibach springs today. I will post pics of the installation and the end result when it warms up enough and/or when I feel like doing it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If they have struts made for the Ascent, I would eventually switch. But I also want to see the improvement from doing one thing at a time too. Looking at rockauto, there's nothing listed for the Ascent's suspension yet though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Received the Primitive rear subframe spacers kit last week and the Eibach springs today. I will post pics of the installation and the end result when it warms up enough and/or when I feel like doing it.

View attachment 3229
Please do! If it’s easy I may do it.

However, Eibach has produced more suspension components than probably all the other companies combined. The lead engineer races Subaru’s. I have no reason to doubt what they recommend. I will post up if something happens but nothing looks stressed at all with this mild lift.

Best part for me is beyond the increase stiffness and handling. I no longer bump my head on a open rear lift gate and it’s easier for me to put my daughter in her car seat. I stand straight up vs an awkward semi squat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Please do! If it’s easy I may do it.

However, Eibach has produced more suspension components than probably all the other companies combined. The lead engineer races Subaru’s. I have no reason to doubt what they recommend. I will post up if something happens but nothing looks stressed at all with this mild lift.

Best part for me is beyond the increase stiffness and handling. I no longer bump my head on a open rear lift gate and it’s easier for me to put my daughter in her car seat. I stand straight up vs an awkward semi squat.
The reason I want to install the RSSs is to bring the rear camber back closer to OEM specs as much as possible since rear camber is not adjustable otherwise; and the rear shock extensions to bring the shock travel closer to original. Here's the rear alignment specs from service manual.

Can one of you with the Eibach springs installed share your wheel alignment numbers after the install? I want to see how much the rear camber deviates from specs. Maybe it's still within specs so Eibach engineers didn't worry about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I finally gave in and did the installation despite its being a little cold. Just plugged in an electric heater, cranked it up and went at it while drinking Covid-19 antidote.

I ended up NOT installing the rear subframe spacers, the brake line bracket extensions, nor the rear shock extensions. If you guys look at the photo comparing the Eibach spring assembled vs the OEM spring assembled, you will understand why (both are the same length). The way Eibach achieved the lift is by making their springs stiffer and hence can hold the weight of the car while not sagging like the OEM. Unlike the LPAventure, Anderson Design, etc. lifts using strut spacers, since the Eibach assembled struts have same dimensions as stock in fully extended (relaxed) state, there's really no need to do anything to correct alignment. Shock's travel shouldn't be a concern either because the max extended length is the same as stock.

Primitive's lift kit using King springs works similarly to Eibach for the front, but they use longer springs + rear shock extensions for the rear so the final assembled rear strut length is longer. So they require the use of subframe spacers. Even though Eibach rear springs are longer than OEM, once assembled they're still same length as OEM.

Once I get a wheel alignment, I will confirm my conclusion above by checking the rear camber numbers. But I'm pretty sure I wasted money on the subframe spacers kit and the shock extensions. :mad:

Sorry for being long winded, here are the photos during & after installation.

20200216_124848.jpg 20200216_132537.jpg 20200216_134430.jpg 20200216_135751.jpg 20200216_140628.jpg 20200216_151404.jpg 20200216_155951.jpg 20200216_171312.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
More

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is very interesting. Still surprised there is no extra stress on other joints that require the sub frame spacers. I mean it is still lifted about 1.5 inches, right?

Curious why Primitive recommends and includes it with their kit. Apparently the King springs are 25% stiffer than OEM, which I thought was even stiffer than the Eibach's? Does that mean that the King springs are not only stiffer they are actually taller as well?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I finally gave in and did the installation despite its being a little cold. Just plugged in an electric heater, cranked it up and went at it while drinking Covid-19 antidote.

I ended up NOT installing the rear subframe spacers, the brake line bracket extensions, nor the rear shock extensions. If you guys look at the photo comparing the Eibach spring assembled vs the OEM spring assembled, you will understand why (both are the same length). The way Eibach achieved the lift is by making their springs stiffer and hence can hold the weight of the car while not sagging like the OEM. Unlike the LPAventure, Anderson Design, etc. lifts using strut spacers, since the Eibach assembled struts have same dimensions as stock in fully extended (relaxed) state, there's really no need to do anything to correct alignment. Shock's travel shouldn't be a concern either because the max extended length is the same as stock.

Primitive's lift kit using King springs works similarly to Eibach for the front, but they use longer springs + rear shock extensions for the rear so the final assembled rear strut length is longer. So they require the use of subframe spacers. Even though Eibach rear springs are longer than OEM, once assembled they're still same length as OEM.

Once I get a wheel alignment, I will confirm my conclusion above by checking the rear camber numbers. But I'm pretty sure I wasted money on the subframe spacers kit and the shock extensions. :mad:

Sorry for being long winded, here are the photos during & after installation.

View attachment 3276 View attachment 3277 View attachment 3278 View attachment 3279 View attachment 3280 View attachment 3281 View attachment 3282 View attachment 3283
Good work, looks great!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That is very interesting. Still surprised there is no extra stress on other joints that require the sub frame spacers. I mean it is still lifted about 1.5 inches, right?

Curious why Primitive recommends and includes it with their kit. Apparently the King springs are 25% stiffer than OEM, which I thought was even stiffer than the Eibach's? Does that mean that the King springs are not only stiffer they are actually taller as well?
Like I said above, the king springs on the rear are longer and they also use the shock extensions to make the springs work at that longer length. The Eibach rear springs are longer too but compressed by the top hat after assembly into the strut (without using shock extensions) so same exact length as stock because Eibach designed them to work at stock length.

Whether there's still stress on other joints, I don't know. Once I get an alignment and if the rear camber is out of spec, I assume there is some stress and I will install the subframe spacers just to feel better about not throwing away money lol. The shock extensions, however, is for sure a waste of $72 usd.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh I forgot to post about the resulting ride. I can definitely notice that it's quite a bit stiffer, but over bumps it's not harsh at all - just like @Soca said in the other thread. I can take corners faster without body lean. I like it so far, but that was just a quick drive around town to get the suspension to settle after installation. Can't wait until spring to put the summer wheels/tires back on and do more spirited driving.(y)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very interesting. It looks like there's an extra coil on each spring. So if they're compressed to the same height, then the rate has to be higher i.e. it's stiffer. That should have a positive effect on handling but a negative effect on ride quality. It'll be interesting to see how much better the handling is.

As a side note, I once had a Mercedes coupe that I swapped out the suspension for 1" lower Eibachs, combined with lower profile tires. Bad choice as that destroyed the ride, even if it helped the handling.

In this case, I would run the shocks with a 265 tire if it'll fit. So the net result might be it all works out even?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The handling is WAY better. As for the ride quality, it's very subjective depending who you ask. As for me, I like both the OEM's and Eibach's ride quality even though they feel totally different from each other. I may upgrade my summer OEM 20" rims to some nice 18" and 265 tires in the future, but problem is I still really like the look of the OEM 20" rims.

On another note, I may end up installing the rear shock extenders + subframe spacers anyway. I don't think they'll hurt anything, plus the extenders may give the rear shocks more "droop travel" - as Primitive calls it. That way they won't go to waste sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've just received Eibach's response to my question asking if it's ok (any pros and cons etc.) to installing subframe spacers & shock extenders in combination with their springs. Here's their reply:

"Hi Tuan yep all that gear works perfect with our springs. Pretty common."

So it's a go for me. Maybe this weekend. Gonna have to redo the rear struts since I'm adding the extenders.

Anyway, been taking the car around town and on the highway the last 2 days to do more butt testing. All I can say is I love the ride, just like all the others that have these installed before me.

PS. Also took the opportunity today to run 93 tune on the Cobb AP with a new tank of 91 + Lucas octane booster and that was awesome too - no knocks and loads of smooth power.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Installed spacers and extensions today. Everything's working fine. Loving the ride!

Extension added:

Extension adds 1" to rear strut assembly:

Struts, subframe spacers and brake bracket extensions installed and torqued to specs:

Spacer added to spare tire cover:

I will drive it like this for a bit more just to get a feel for it before putting in 75d swaybar bushings which I got from Chris over a year ago (even before getting my Ascent lol). The good thing is, since the car has more clearance now, I can easily crawl underneath to install the bushings. This is the recommended way of installing swaybar bushings - while the suspension is loaded normally.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Speaking suspension theory...if you have a shock/strut with a 10" stroke and when the car sits on the ground you use 4" of the stroke, this means that you have 6" of compression travel and 4" of drop travel. By installing a stiffer/taller spring to achieve a lift, you are not affecting the overall stroke, but you do affect the travel numbers. A 1.5" lift will mean you end up with 2.5" of drop travel and 7.5" of compression travel on this "theoretical" shock/strut. IMHO, the springs plus the extenders/subframe spacers would be your best bet for overall performance and reliability.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, what happens if you install lifting springs with a spacer lift? Double the lift?

Since installing the lp lift kit I've been thinking about upgrading my springs for a little more stiffness, but am not necessarily looking for more lift...

·
Registered
188 Posts
So, what happens if you install lifting springs with a spacer lift? Double the lift?

Since installing the lp lift kit I've been thinking about upgrading my springs for a little more stiffness, but am not necessarily looking for more lift...
I think this is not advised. I’m in the reverse situation. I have the primitive 1.25” lift. Love the springs and ride. I want one more inch. The usual suspects LP, ADF, and primitive have told me not to put 0.75-1.00” strut spacers on top of the spring lift. Many reasons. Subaru’s are not trucks or Jeeps.
I’m also not aware of anyone making stiffer springs in ORM height. Only King and Eibach lift springs.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
15 Posts
View attachment 3055
Absolutely love this combo of Eibach Pro Lift and Falken Wildpeak AT3! The ride is so much better. Feels solid, more confident and a lot like my TRD Pro Tacoma. Highly recommend this set up!
Wow yours looks great! Hoping I can get a couple more details and even some additional photos of your Subaru. I’m looking to do the same to mine. Did you put the sub frame spacers on as well? About how high did the front and rear lift after the install?

And as far as the tires go, how much did your mpg take a hit after putting these tires on? I’d really like to keep the 20s on mine for around the paved roads, but dropping down to an 18 is really tempting as well. How has this combo been off road for you?

Thanks in advance.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts