Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Subaru Outback was destroyed in an accident (saved our lives), so I've moved up to the Ascent Premium. My only disappointment with this model is that it doesn't include the HBA that my Outback had. Is there any way to add this as an aftermarket add on? As it's tied into the Eyesight system, notionally the pieces should be there already and I'd think it would be just a software update.....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am assuming you have the halogen headlights since the led headlights have HBA. You should be able to install them if you upgrade to the LED headlights. Or are you asking if it can be added to the halogen ones?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am assuming you have the halogen headlights since the led headlights have HBA. You should be able to install them if you upgrade to the LED headlights. Or are you asking if it can be added to the halogen ones?
I don't think you are understanding the question... replacing the Halogens with LED's isn't going to automatically give you High Beam Assist. As the OP stated, it is tied to the Eyesight system and it's probably a software/programming thing that would enable High Beam Assist.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 2017 Subaru Outback was destroyed in an accident (saved our lives), so I've moved up to the Ascent Premium. My only disappointment with this model is that it doesn't include the HBA that my Outback had. Is there any way to add this as an aftermarket add on? As it's tied into the Eyesight system, notionally the pieces should be there already and I'd think it would be just a software update.....

Any thoughts?
I'm unaware of any way to get High Beam Assist on a Premium trim. I'd imagine that the way to get the high beams to modulate between low and high involve some kind of dimming switch hardware that is not installed on the Premium trim. The eyesight software would then tell that hardware how to dim. It is unfortunate that this safety feature is not available at all, even through options or accessories, to the Premium and below trims. I personally overlooked this feature and this along with the steering responsive headlights might have steered me to paying up for the limited trim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, I wouldn't have upgraded trim packages for HBA (the value isn't there for me), but certainly would have considered an option if it were available. I'd rather have HBA than keyless.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The HBA sensor is in the back of the rear view mirror. I don't imagine it is an easy or cheap thing to swap!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts