Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to solve the “wrong password” WiFi issue? I have a 2020 Limited and an iPhone 11. It used to be that I would get the wrong password error every few weeks, which could be solved by toggling the WiFi on and off a few times. The dealer installed an update for the head unit the last time so brought my car in, hoping that it would help.
I feel like it’s worse now. Since the update, the error is coming up multiple times per week and it can only be cleared by turning the WiFi off and restarting the engine.

I’m not sure where to go from here. Should I escalate this to Subaru? I’m not happy that I’ve prepaid from WiFi that’s always out.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Has anyone been able to solve the “wrong password” WiFi issue? I have a 2020 Limited and an iPhone 11. It used to be that I would get the wrong password error every few weeks, which could be solved by toggling the WiFi on and off a few times. The dealer installed an update for the head unit the last time so brought my car in, hoping that it would help.
I feel like it’s worse now. Since the update, the error is coming up multiple times per week and it can only be cleared by turning the WiFi off and restarting the engine.

I’m not sure where to go from here. Should I escalate this to Subaru? I’m not happy that I’ve prepaid from WiFi that’s always out.
Make sure that the car's access point name is different than any other wifi you use. Make sure that the password isn't very complex (for some reason, the head units have problems with complex passwords).

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts

[/

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I tried reaching out to Subaru because it does the same thing in my Touring Model Ascent. They told me it was an AT&T issue and to take it up with AT&T. I get nothing but a run-around from AT&T claiming that I must be doing something wrong. Their customer service has always been lousy - several years ago AT&T was the only internet service provider where I was living while attending the Air War College in Montgomery, AL and I had a similar issue with poor reception and they blamed it on me. AT&T always blamed it on something I had done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted an update on this in another thread. About 6 weeks ago I decided to change the name of my network. I changed it from the default Subaru WiFi to XX’s car. I left the password the same. Since that time, I have not had a single problem with the WiFi. No error messages, no password problems, no failing to connect.

I don’t know why it works or what it fixed. But it seems to be inexplicably fixed now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I posted an update on this in another thread. About 6 weeks ago I decided to change the name of my network. I changed it from the default Subaru WiFi to XX’s car. I left the password the same. Since that time, I have not had a single problem with the WiFi. No error messages, no password problems, no failing to connect.

I don’t know why it works or what it fixed. But it seems to be inexplicably fixed now.
If the default is Subaru WiFi, then maybe it's picking up a near-by Subaru instead that has a different password?

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Or picking one up during a travel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be, but I live in a small neighborhood. I’m 100% the only Subaru on our block, and my car WiFi would throw errors at me in my driveway. I used to routinely have to flip the WiFi off and on to get it to connect.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
740 Posts
So I started thinking about this some more and we ran into the same issue. None of our phones could connect to the SSID even after changing the password. I ended up changing the SSID and that resolves the issue. I know for a fact we were the only Subaru with wifi around as the SSID disappeared after I changed it, plus there are no Subarus in range of our house by other home owners.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
In this case, clearly the "best practice" of never using a default SSID is helpful beyond just security. :)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
740 Posts
Zero technical security in changing the SSID. Possibly a slight security improvement changing to something inconspicuous, but that's more security theater. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
True "technically", but there "may" be a propensity for someone with nefarious intent to go after an AP with "default" SSID because it's not at all unusual for folks who use the default to also use a less robust password, too. It's human nature. People are their own worst enemies sometimes. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts