Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle is 10 months old and has had all of the drivers door weatherstripping changed 5 times with no success eliminating the problem. Forget about all other possible causes for the squeak because it can be remedied with a piece of painters tape applied to the area of the squeak. I don't think that is a suitable fix for a vehicle of this type. Besides, the blue tape on my black Ascent doesn't really look so nice with the blue tape showing.

The dealership in Boardman, Ohio has gone above and beyond, trying every fix, and achieving no successful solution to the problem. They have been in touch with the appropriate people, but it seems like the engineers or factory or whomever is in charge of fixing squeaks are busy with other problems. I couldn't ask for a better service department or service techs.

Contrary to what I see on this forum, I love the car, but at the end of my lease I will be in search of some other brand. Admittedly I am a pain in the butt when it comes to my vehicles performing as they should. I really don't think that is too much to ask.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I can't say that I've noticed anyone else complaining about this kind of thing, although I certainly could have missed it despite reading nearly every thread here for a very long time, and I certainly haven't experience it. It could very well be some kind of alignment/manufacturing issue with your specific vehicle. The fact that you say a piece of tape fixes it is interesting...can you provide more details or perhaps some photos that illustrate how that puts the squeak away?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, If you look on Youtube under Squeak when shutting drivers door of a 2020 Ascent, you willl see the video and hear the noise that I mention. Also, the video displays the tape alignment and it shows how the sound is eliminated. I neglected to mention that there is no elimination of the noise with the use of any type of lubricants. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the drivers door, but the noise is especially magnified when the door is closed in my garage. I even told the dealership I would quit complaining if they could make the other three doors squeak like the drivers door, but they didn't see the humor in my suggestion. I'm pretty sure I could find a permanent fix for the problem myself if I put my mind to it, but I feel like the factory or engineers should be the ones to resolve the matter. Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear a squeak all the time. However, my wife doesn’t notice thus we haven’t had it checked.
Jim, If you look on Youtube under Squeak when shutting drivers door of a 2020 Ascent, you willl see the video and hear the noise that I mention. Also, the video displays the tape alignment and it shows how the sound is eliminated. I neglected to mention that there is no elimination of the noise with the use of any type of lubricants. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the drivers door, but the noise is especially magnified when the door is closed in my garage. I even told the dealership I would quit complaining if they could make the other three doors squeak like the drivers door, but they didn't see the humor in my suggestion. I'm pretty sure I could find a permanent fix for the problem myself if I put my mind to it, but I feel like the factory or engineers should be the ones to resolve the matter. Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim, I also forgot to mention that this noise is not limited to my vehicle. Random new Ascents on the lot were checked and the same noise is heard when closing the drivers doors on them.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
It's possibly air squeaking out of the air vents on the door seals. You will notice a few little holes that line the door seal, as well as a slit that goes between two of the holes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert, thank for the reply. As I said, the entire sections of weather stripping both on the door and the strippings surrounding the door have been replaced five times by Subaru techs. On one of them, since we knew that the new stripping wasn't the answer, but it once again was demanded by the troubleshooting service techs, we took great liberties with the weather stripping by cutting additional holes, plugging holes and other such ideas. The results were always the same. The squeak came back, and was only quieted by the installation of a piece of painters tape at the appropriate location. The idea of a misaligned door, replacement of the door and other like suggestions were floated, but ultimately discounted. I would really like Subaru to fix it, since it is their problem. I do have a friend who restores fine antique cars who is itching to get his hands on the problem, but I have been down the road of fixing a problem when a car company seems unable, and then have to listen to them tell me about the warranty being voided. Therefore, I will leave it to them until I tire of this somewhat silly game.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
@srb102 I have same problem (I think) that is demonstrated very well on this video (Same noise on an Outback Touring XT). EDIT: I found the video of the fix from the same user (Tape Fix). My issue ONLY started after I had the "door seal contact" TSB work performed (TSB 12-286-20 ).

It is definitely a "chirp" that doesn't occur on the other doors. In the video, the guy hypothesizes that it's air escaping ... but he eliminates that as a possibility because his hatch is open ... but I think that is a mistake. I think IT IS air escaping, but from the gasket itself, not the car. The gasket is a tubular design with a hollow core to allow for very flexible compression and I think the sudden impact causes a chirp/whistle when the air escapes across the smooth metal surface. Maybe that's why the tape helps because it changes the way the air leaves, or stops it from exiting the same way? I don't know, just guessing here!

I'd be interested to know if where this goes. It's annoying, but doesn't really change my opinion of the vehicle. I'd still like to fix it, of course, but can easily live with it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
I didn't want to edit my previous response because it could still be air, but after watching the "fix" with the tape, I am wondering if it isn't air escaping but rather the rubber "skipping" on the metal. A perfect example is the sound sneakers make on a basketball court. It's like a squeak from the friction from the rubber on the seal (like the sneakers) against the smooth metal surface (like the nice wooden basketball court). Maybe the tape allows for the seal to "move" more smoothly and not grab/squeak.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
That may explain why I've never heard it. Mine (the car) is Ceramic Pro coated, and lately (well, usually, to be honest) caked in mud and slimy off-roading grime. Heck, after days of rain, including during the highway drive home, my car is still filthy from this weekend. I wonder if a coating in that area would eradicate the squeak.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I didn't want to edit my previous response because it could still be air, but after watching the "fix" with the tape, I am wondering if it isn't air escaping but rather the rubber "skipping" on the metal. A perfect example is the sound sneakers make on a basketball court. It's like a squeak from the friction from the rubber on the seal (like the sneakers) against the smooth metal surface (like the nice wooden basketball court). Maybe the tape allows for the seal to "move" more smoothly and not grab/squeak.
Interesting. Maybe waxing the inside of the door that makes contact with the seal will do?

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
That sounds possible... it could be that mine never would have squeaked, but, I don't know. I drove it home (via one short off-roading stop) and directly to the ceramic pro guy when he opened the next morning. So, not much experience without the coating.

It definitely can't hurt.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
I will try a few things this evening and report back. I didn't notice with the factory seals, but had the seals replaced as part of the TSB to fix the contact with the rear door.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I didn't get around to that yet. It was on my list, but I am thinking of skipping it since I am way beyond the factory warranty and it will be out of my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I didn't get around to that yet. It was on my list, but I am thinking of skipping it since I am way beyond the factory warranty and it will be out of my pocket.
Oh, come on...you're only a "couple" of miles over. Maybe they will cover you. :) :D LOL

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
I went outside and did some basic testing. First, the video REALLY doesn't do the sound justice. Not that it's incredibly loud, but the video makes the chirp less noticeable.
  • I demonstrated the chirp.
  • I used painter's tape as demonstrated by the guy with the 2020 Outback. Yep, sound went away!
  • I removed the tape, then used Maguire's detailing spray just to see if it really needed to be clean ... which didn't help. Chirp was back
  • Then I used the first wax I could find in my stash of car "stuff". I waxed the entire area the door makes contact with. Here's the weird part. The first time I shut the door, I thought I heard the chirp, but I can't get it to do it anymore. The wax definitely helped. I don't know how long this will last, but it was a 5 minute fix (3 minutes waiting) so I can easily do it again if needed. But, hopefully it won't be a daily need. :)
Here is the video if interested: Possible Solution - Wax

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ordered and received the 303 rubber seal protectant. Used it as directed, tried other methods hoping that it would be effective, but alas it was all for nothing. It failed miserably. Back it went to Amazon. I did mess with the tape application, and did find out that I only need a piece of tape about 1/2 to 2/3 of the tape I used before to silence the chirp. Very peculiar to say the least. The solution has to be so simple and yet I just can't figure out why it happens and why such a small piece of tape can fix it when lubricants can't.I do shudder to think about hoe inept Subaru Engineering would be if I had a major mechanical problem. if they can't fix something as minuscule as this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts