Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any good suggestion for portable or fixed backup 110v battery, also better solar solution.
My Limited do'nt have 110v panel in the center of 2nd bench.
Is it possible to install to one backup battery or converter to that empty ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Any good suggestion for portable or fixed backup 110v battery, also better solar solution.
My Limited do'nt have 110v panel in the center of 2nd bench.
Is it possible to install to one backup battery or converter to that empty ?
You might get a very limited response. Cars run 12volt systems.

The house plug found in cars is a very basic low power plug powered by a small inverter from the 12volt car system.

If your worried about a dead battery never use the 110v plug unless the car is running.

The best and most affordable insurance against dead batteries and being stranded is the compact jump battery they also have USB charge ports and a flashlight function. They easily fit in a glove box and typically cost about $60.

If your looking for a portable power box? Thats a whole separate conversation and stand alone device regardless of where its put.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your looking for a portable power box? Thats a whole separate conversation and stand alone device regardless of where its put.
OK, I am looking for a portable power box with solar charger and 110v charger. I will use this for notebook and mini DVD player when I am car camping.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Lap top and mini dvd power and say Iphone or ipad charger.

I built a 50cal ammo box solar generator several yrs ago for my tent trailer. It powers some LED lighting and charges various devices.

Cost me about $180 for parts and some time fooling around with making it.

40watts of solar is plenty unless your doing winter stuff in higher latitudes.

My setup is 18am hour battery, fuse block and 10amp $30 solar controller. I use the output side of the controller for my power.

You can add a small cheap inverter to power the laptop which is really just a 9-12vot device any way. The laptop power cord has a box on it. Thats a transformer that steps the voltage down from 110 to 12volts or less.

Here is a fancy version of mine

I don’t have plug sockets or a cut off switch. Given mine is bolted to a trailer when in use I set the controller to 24hr on so the powered side is on and I have a fuse box that has leads off of it to devices I plug in along with two 10watt panels. Summers CA to Yellowstone its been plenty but 40watts would be winter coverage easily. Laptop would need 40watts at minimum to keep up.

Everything is contained in the ammo box I can lock it sealed wires and all. Only thing not in the box are the solar panels. Weighs about 9lbs

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've built a few solar generators (50-125ah) and solar kits (home and auto)

Might be cheaper to get 12V adapters for your miniDVD and notebook unless you're talking long term camping.

How long are you trying to run these things for? And what models?

·
Banned
145 Posts
notebook and mini DVD player. Both of those should run off 12-20volt dc or less. I would look into what model you and the voltage and see if you can just use a straight 12 volt dc system for it. If they both use a power brick to charge from the wall, see what voltage the power brick is outputing. Converting dc to ac back to dc is a real waste. If you can just stick with DC and buck up or down, you will save yourself some money.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Might be cheaper to get 12V adapters for your miniDVD and notebook unless you're talking long term camping.

Run Microsoft Surface Pro about 1 hours and Sony Portable DVD player 2 hours at night after dinner, when we are in car camping. No wall outlet, only solar in the daytime.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Run Microsoft Surface Pro about 1 hours and Sony Portable DVD player 2 hours at night after dinner, when we are in car camping. No wall outlet, only solar in the daytime.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not sure what model you have but I’m going to estimate approx 200 watts a night of power consumption. Not counting a charged
Surface Pro battery.

So approx 20 amps of 12v power.

One of these will probably be your easiest solution and will take care of your power needs for 2 nights without jeopardizing your starting battery

Goal Zero Yeti 400 Portable Power Station, 400Wh Battery Powered Generator Alternative with 12V, AC and USB Outputs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D5RVMAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_22DgCbS05G6SM

And add a small panel, 50 watts or so and you’re good for long term multi day camping

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.