Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving car at the airport for a week and am concerned about coming home to a dead battery. And please don't tell me to buy a new battery, that's not what I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Costco sold/is selling one that seems pretty good. I bought 1 for each car in case of emergencies. My dad used it to jump start his Rav4 and it worked fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Costco sold/is selling one that seems pretty good. I bought 1 for each car in case of emergencies. My dad used it to jump start his Rav4 and it worked fine.
Couldn't find anything decent at the local Costco or online. Ended up going with a BASAF 1200A. We'll see how she goes.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Leaving car at the airport for a week and am concerned about coming home to a dead battery. And please don't tell me to buy a new battery, that's not what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I use the Suaoki T10. Matter of fact, the only time I used it was to jumpstart our Ascent after leaving it untouched in the garage for a week, and it did the job.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
IF you have other needs that can be met, I have this, which I also use for 110V AC power (1,000W continuous, 2,000W peak), USB power (3.1A), 12VDC power, and air compressor - plus jump starting (others so far).

I charge it once every few months, and it's never let me down. Mostly, I use it for the compressor.

Only "issue" is the black label around the AC/USB ports in the mid bottom is unsticking, probably from the heat of being left in the car for ages. It's a lead acid battery, so, like our car batteries, doesn't really care about the heat. THIS one of mine has been left in my car for 2 years and two days. My previous one (gave to my brother) was in my Outback for about 3.5 years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IF you have other needs that can be met, I have this, which I also use for 110V AC power (1,000W continuous, 2,000W peak), USB power (3.1A), 12VDC power, and air compressor - plus jump starting (others so far).

I charge it once every few months, and it's never let me down. Mostly, I use it for the compressor.

Only "issue" is the black label around the AC/USB ports in the mid bottom is unsticking, probably from the heat of being left in the car for ages. It's a lead acid battery, so, like our car batteries, doesn't really care about the heat. THIS one of mine has been left in my car for 2 years and two days. My previous one (gave to my brother) was in my Outback for about 3.5 years.
View attachment 923
That's a beaut, but overkill for my feeble needs. Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting. What happens when the battery is completely dead?
My impression is (and I could be wrong) is that what you and I normally consider a "dead battery" - a battery that no longer holds enough charge to start the vehicle - is not really a dead battery. There is still some level of charge still there. And it's my understanding that, that charge is usable for a supercapacitor. But I'm sure with all of the talent we have on this forum, someone with more experience will be able to weigh in :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been using the Genius Boost HD from NOCO products for years for my on-road and off-road vehicles.
You can find the NOCO Genius chargers and jumpstarters on amazon or "no.co" (that is spelled correctly)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whichever one you own/purchase be sure to charge it or check it's battery status at least once a year. I put a reminder in my calendar with a "repeat every year"
It is recommended that one charges the portable charger ONCE A MONTH (not once a year) in order to be sure it is in top shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Battery chargers like the Schumacher brand at Walmart are a must have, and worth every penny. They are slightly larger (thicker) than a phone, and come with short jumper cables. I have used mine a few times, especially camping, when the battery can get drained inadvertently due to doors left open, lights on, music on, etc.

I keep one in each car, and MAKE SURE that it is 100% all the time. I keep it in the door pocket and check it monthly. If it falls below 58%, it will not work.

You get about two starts out of a fully charged one.

Mine were on sale for about $29. Can't find that deal, but look around. These things are a life saver.

Why new cars do not come equipped with a built in auxiliary lithium battery like this, that is kept charged at all times, is beyond me. They pile on so many other useless gadgets. This is something that anyone, everyone would want and use.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It is recommended that one charges the portable charger ONCE A MONTH (not once a year) in order to be sure it is in top shape.
^ Depends on the type of battery.

Most modern "jump packs" using lithium rechargeables are typically good for at least a month to three between maintenance charging, depending largely on the quality of the cells as well as the storage conditions fr the unit.

Something like what Robert.Mauro posted above ( https://www.ascentforums.com/thread...for-a-portable-jump-starter.8249/#post-111455 ) is a different beast entirely.

Regardless, it is as LynnP would suggest: proper maintenance of these self-aid jump-starters is a necessity - otherwise, it's no better than carrying around a magical amulet. :)

If you're going to put the money down on one of these devices, you must commit to the discipline.

I would implore anyone looking at one of these devices to truly take a moment to assess their habits: that if one is not the type to routinely check the pressure of their tires - much less the spare tire - then one should seriously consider whether buying and carrying around one of these devices is actually just a "feel good" measure.

After all, while extremely safe, modern lithium rechargeables are not without risks themselves. If you've ever seen one catch fire, it's quite spectacular: ask anyone who vapes...or is a nerdy flashlight addict like me! :geek:

If you cannot commit to the discipline, I would pose that a yearly membership in AAA or other similar service to supplement Subaru Roadside and/or simply carrying a set of jumper cables will be a more realistic approach to ease this worry. Furthermore, many parking structures and/or places of employment have their own mechanical assistance services that usually are only minutes away and on-call 24/7.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts