Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get rid of the charging cable for my phone and I'm thinking of putting some form of a qi based charger in there (Iphone X)...Anyone have one that works well and is slim? I figure it has to plug into the USB port...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get rid of the charging cable for my phone and I'm thinking of putting some form of a qi based charger in there (Iphone X)...Anyone have one that works well and is slim? I figure it has to plug into the USB port...
Great idea, but until Car Play works over BT you're going to lose the functionality

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, that's a good point...Do we think that's going to happen soon? I believe we also need IOS 12 to show google maps right?

This was discussed in a previous thread quite a while ago. Supposedly, a few manufacturers (BMW comes to mind) are doing CarPlay wirelessly, but not Subaru. And I doubt its something that could just be added with a software update. Tether is required

Not sure about the Google maps question.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes, CarPlay is getting both Google Maps and Waze compatibility at some point after iOS12 is released.

As far as wireless chargers, I put one made by a company called Xvida into my wife's CX-5. It's one of the few wireless chargers that also have a functioning magnetic case. Usually the metal plates that are required for a magnetic phone mount interfere with the wireless charging ability. If you have no desire for a magnetic mount, then there are more options that I don't have any real experience with.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You can expect a real version of iOS 12 (it's beta right now) in September. They usually launch it simultaneously when they do their product unveiling. When they release the "gold master" of iOS 12, then Waze or other developers can update their product to be iOS 12 compliant.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Great idea, but until Car Play works over BT you're going to lose the functionality
I think you mean over WiFi as BT doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to do Car Play.

I don't think they will implement this in purchased vehicles as I bet it would take some reworking on the hardware side to support it even with the cars having built in WiFi.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think you mean over WiFi as BT doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to do Car Play.

I don't think they will implement this in purchased vehicles as I bet it would take some reworking on the hardware side to support it even with the cars having built in WiFi.
WiFi Direct would be the logical wireless implementation and should be purely software, but is likely limited by Apple and Google not implementing it yet*.

·
Registered
174 Posts
WiFi Direct would be the logical wireless implementation and should be purely software, but is likely limited by Apple and Google not implementing it yet*.
Google has already started implementing a cable free option for AA, it'll be interesting if Apple does the same. I have a wireless charging cradle for my iPhone X that I purchased for my current vehicle but still wind up connecting via USB to the car as I hate the sound quality of audio over BT

·
Registered
10 Posts

I’ve heard that the Wireless CarPlay functionality requires some relatively beefy hardware.

So far I’ve not been impressed by the Harman engineering.

Re/wireless charger, I’d love to get an exact fit /retrofit the phone cubby with charging. If someone finds one, please let us know! (I’ll do the same)

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
anyone find anything in the last 1.5 yrs since this post died?
Nothing has changed, nor likely will:
  • Yes, still, any Qi Wireless charger that's compatible with whatever iPhone or Android phone, and fits in the desired location, will work to charge the phone.
  • No, there still isn't, nor will there ever be, iPhone wireless Carplay or Android Auto Wireless in the 2019-2020 Ascent, without finding an USB dongle to plug into the car (and none are yet confirmed compatible with the Subarus).

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
Wireless carplay : Supposedly this works : CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com

Anyone tried it on their ascent ?

AFAIK, no wireless carplay adapter yet works with Subaru. There are multiple discussions about this here in the forums.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
Considering this thread was resurrected not too long ago, the '21's have a Wireless Charger option (Part: H671SXC200). As per the accessories book:

"Conveniently charge your phone without the hassle of tangled wires. They Wireless Charger is a Qi Certified Device with intelligent charging profiles, cell phone battery protection, temperature control technology and short circuit safe guards. Compatible with all Qi enabled devices."

I almost missed it on my order. When I "built" my Ascent via Subaru's web page, the option was not there. It was not until I looked at the '21 Ascent Accessories book, that I happened to snag when I was at the dealership, that I saw it. I went back to Subaru's web site and again it was not listed as an option during my "build". I even tried various trim levels and it never popped up for me. My dealer/sales person added it during my order.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Considering this thread was resurrected not too long ago, the '21's have a Wireless Charger option (Part: H671SXC200). As per the accessories book:

"Conveniently charge your phone without the hassle of tangled wires. They Wireless Charger is a Qi Certified Device with intelligent charging profiles, cell phone battery protection, temperature control technology and short circuit safe guards. Compatible with all Qi enabled devices."

I almost missed it on my order. When I "built" my Ascent via Subaru's web page, the option was not there. It was not until I looked at the '21 Ascent Accessories book, that I happened to snag when I was at the dealership, that I saw it. I went back to Subaru's web site and again it was not listed as an option during my "build". I even tried various trim levels and it never popped up for me. My dealer/sales person added it during my order.
let us know how well it works for you and if you use a phone cover while charging.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
@justmatt, aren't you working on something like this? 🤔
Yup. If I understand where this accessory goes, it installs in the cubby near the front USB ports.

That is off limits for my wife's phone. :) I keep my work phone (wifi hotspot) and my phone in there. That means both phones consume both USB ports.

My next sprint on this is coming up in a month. Fortunately the electronics either work or they do not. Right now they do. It's terribly ugly and has a pcb exposed. I'm focusing on packaging. I could use some help in sourcing some materials here for testing; I'll probably open a thread to solicit advice in a few days.

After that I have to determine if my wife's phone needs to be secured in place, or if the material mentioned above is sufficient enough to prevent lateral movement.

I've got a 3rd Qi coil showing up on Wednesday. This one is fast charging; I may have to rework some installation decisions if I go this route.

It is a hot mess at the moment 😄

·
Registered
210 Posts
That still won't do CP or AA, which is why I opted not to buy that for my '21 Ascent.

The main issue here is that the TomTom maps are meh compared to Apple Maps or Google Maps which is a main reason we like CP and AA.

If they update the maps to something on par, then I can see foregoing CP/AA and using bluetooth to stream music from the phone, which is nicer as it is pre-processed and then amplified by HK and would be wirelessly charging all the while and getting calls over the phone to the speakers as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts