Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that I liked about the Ascent when I bought it was that the 3rd row is more comfortable (to me, anyway) thanks to the ability to recline it a little bit. In most other SUVs with 3 rows the back is too vertical so it's not as comfortable for longer trips.

Anyway, looking to get a second SUV to make sure I can carry the whole family and I can't find that information anywhere.

So I turn to the experts here... are there any other SUVs with the ability to recline the 3rd row seats?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
243 Posts
Why not just buy a 2nd Ascent?

Of all the 3-row SUVs we drove, the Ascent had the most comfortable, and accessible, 3rd row of any of them. It's even more comfortable than the one in my sister's Grand Caravan minivan

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just buy a 2nd Ascent?

Of all the 3-row SUVs we drove, the Ascent had the most comfortable, and accessible, 3rd row of any of them. It's even more comfortable than the one in my sister's Grand Caravan minivan
Diversification... the Ascent has its pros and cons, so do other vehicles. I just want to explore to see which vehicle will better suit my family today. The Ascent was the best choice 3 years ago when I bought it and it still is a strong contender, make no mistake. My family size changed so now the third row will get more use and I'm checking if there's any other vehicle with a more comfortable 3rd row. Definitely I want the reclining feature, and perhaps more leg room. Believe it or not, a kid sitting in a booster can't put his feet under the 2nd row seat like an adult would so it needs space for the entire length of the foot. Also the seat is deep and their legs actually hang sticking out forward at an angle. Hard to explain but they need more leg room than a grownup.

But regardless, my original question still stands. I just found out the Telluride does recline similar to the Ascent, the legroom is about the same as the Ascent in the 3rd row so not a big improvement.
For other vehicles I can't find that information easily, and for me it's important.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
81 Posts
Diversification... the Ascent has its pros and cons, so do other vehicles. I just want to explore to see which vehicle will better suit my family today. The Ascent was the best choice 3 years ago when I bought it and it still is a strong contender, make no mistake. My family size changed so now the third row will get more use and I'm checking if there's any other vehicle with a more comfortable 3rd row. Definitely I want the reclining feature, and perhaps more leg room. Believe it or not, a kid sitting in a booster can't put his feet under the 2nd row seat like an adult would so it needs space for the entire length of the foot. Also the seat is deep and their legs actually hang sticking out forward at an angle. Hard to explain but they need more leg room than a grownup.

But regardless, my original question still stands. I just found out the Telluride does recline similar to the Ascent, the legroom is about the same as the Ascent in the 3rd row so not a big improvement.
For other vehicles I can't find that information easily, and for me it's important.
I considered a Telluride before pulling the trigger on the Ascent, it seems a solid product. However, in this area, they are being sold for as much as $12K over MSRP. Perhaps when the chip/supply-chain crisis abates things will get back to normal. When you add AWD and the popular tech options they sticker significantly higher than a comparable Ascent.

Reactions: tmz2003

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
We use our Ascent for road trips (31 states in first 7 mo of ownership) and hauling grandkids … but it’s a bit too big to toss about in the city. So I bought a lightly used Alfa Giulia for a daily driver. I find them to be the perfect bookends and combined still cost way less than a lux brand suv. I am super happy with the Ascent and can’t find anything major to gripe about with it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yukon 3rd row reclines. But no where near as comfortable as the Ascent.
Who would've thought. I noticed that some SUVs have seats that look flat and straight, not ergonomic at all, it's like seating in a piece of plywood.
The Yukon is larger than the Ascent, not to mention way more expensive. I consider the Yukon XL one vehicle that could be an improvement in space over the Ascent... But for the price of almost 2 Ascents it better have comfortable seats!! I'll have to go test for myself and see if I find them acceptable or not.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We use our Ascent for road trips (31 states in first 7 mo of ownership) and hauling grandkids … but it’s a bit too big to toss about in the city. So I bought a lightly used Alfa Giulia for a daily driver. I find them to be the perfect bookends and combined still cost way less than a lux brand suv. I am super happy with the Ascent and can’t find anything major to gripe about with it.
That's pretty much my current situation: the Ascent plus one sedan (Audi A4). Problem is, now I have a family of 6 with twins on rear facing car seats. The sedan can no longer carry my family. In the past, if my wife had a flat tire on the SUV, I would simply go with the other car, swap cars with her so she could take the kids home while I changed the tire and took the suv to a tire shop to fix it. Same thing if there was a mechanical problem: I could send my family home while I wait alone in the scorching sun for the tow truck. See my dilemma now?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
661 Posts
Who would've thought. I noticed that some SUVs have seats that look flat and straight, not ergonomic at all, it's like seating in a piece of plywood.
The Yukon is larger than the Ascent, not to mention way more expensive. I consider the Yukon XL one vehicle that could be an improvement in space over the Ascent... But for the price of almost 2 Ascents it better have comfortable seats!! I'll have to go test for myself and see if I find them acceptable or not.
Thanks for the info!
We had the Yukon SLT (model just under the Denali trim) just before the Ascent. While the Yukon (non-XL) is certainly larger, it doesn't feel like it. The room for the driver/passenger is more spacious than the Ascent, and the quality of seats and sound is there (front row only), but not for 30k-40k more than the Ascent.

As a 6'1" person the 3rd row of the Yukon is pretty much a non-starter. My in-laws also had a Yukon XL which was no better. As soon as we got the Ascent I noticed a major improvement in leg/foot room for the 3rd row.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
That's pretty much my current situation: the Ascent plus one sedan (Audi A4). Problem is, now I have a family of 6 with twins on rear facing car seats. The sedan can no longer carry my family. In the past, if my wife had a flat tire on the SUV, I would simply go with the other car, swap cars with her so she could take the kids home while I changed the tire and took the suv to a tire shop to fix it. Same thing if there was a mechanical problem: I could send my family home while I wait alone in the scorching sun for the tow truck. See my dilemma now?
Ouch. That’s a tough spot; good news your kids are only young for a while … the days are long but the years are short. FWIW, suggest an Odyssey … all 3 of our kids now have 3 kids and they have all swallowed hard, sold a Forester and bought a van. And they love them. Sort of like having the right tool for the job at hand.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch. That’s a tough spot; good news your kids are only young for a while … the days are long but the years are short. FWIW, suggest an Odyssey … all 3 of our kids now have 3 kids and they have all swallowed hard, sold a Forester and bought a van. And they love them. Sort of like having the right tool for the job at hand.
I suggested a minivan to my wife and reception wasn't great. Instead of a great idea to increase comfort she saw it as "I'm taking your Ascent, you'll get a minivan" kind of deal.
I cannot understand what's not to like of current minivans. They have same or more space than SUVs, the seat configuration is way more flexible and they aren't so underpowered nowadays.

I'm throwing into consideration also a KIA Carnival, it seems to be the one everyone is talking about right now. And based on the Yukon comments above, removing that one from the list.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Body on frame SUVs are terrible for 3rd row leg room. I don't know if the new IRS Chevy/Gmc twins will be much more roomy, but I can guarantee they will be more expensive than the former models. Unfortunately for you significantly more room is going to lead you to a minivan. My wife also hated the idea, until she actually saw and drove one, it's like a big car and all those features they are stuffed with make them very attractive family haulers. If the Odyssey could tow our trailer we would have stuck with it for the space. You could look at the Durango as well, but I imagine you aren't going to find much improvement over the ascent in an SUV that isn't gargantuan; Expedition EL, Excursion, Suburban...and even those probably are going to have the same high load floor and cramped space issues. There is always a full size van, lol.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I suggested a minivan to my wife and reception wasn't great. Instead of a great idea to increase comfort she saw it as "I'm taking your Ascent, you'll get a minivan" kind of deal.
I cannot understand what's not to like of current minivans. They have same or more space than SUVs, the seat configuration is way more flexible and they aren't so underpowered nowadays.

I'm throwing into consideration also a KIA Carnival, it seems to be the one everyone is talking about right now. And based on the Yukon comments above, removing that one from the list.
The Carnival looks like an awesome concept … would be interesting to see if it lives up to its expectations after a test drive. Good luck on your decision!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,176 Posts
You could look at the Durango as well,
While they exist as they are. Durango is rumored to be going back to body-on-frame and will no longer be on the same platform as the "WK2" Grand Cherokee. Will also likely become a RAM branded vehicle. "WL" Grand Cherokee is now available as a three row (WL-75) and it's very nice. But it's a whole bunch more expensive than an Ascent by a big margin.

Waggoneer and Grand Waggoneer also enter the large SUV area with three rows, but also as much as a six figure price tag like the Escalade, etc.

Reactions: Ruben Marin

·
Registered
608 Posts
While they exist as they are. Durango is rumored to be going back to body-on-frame and will no longer be on the same platform as the "WK2" Grand Cherokee. Will also likely become a RAM branded vehicle. "WL" Grand Cherokee is now available as a three row (WL-75) and it's very nice. But it's a whole bunch more expensive than an Ascent by a big margin.

Waggoneer and Grand Waggoneer also enter the large SUV area with three rows, but also as much as a six figure price tag like the Escalade, etc.
If I was going to spend that much the BMW x7 would be in consideration, IF.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
As long as you stay out MT, WY, ND, SD you’re great with an x7. But don’t have a flat or a mechanical break down in those states. I speak from experience, after having a speared run flat tire (deer antler), and a malfunctioning water pump on my late model X5. The closest bmw dealers are in Idaho Falls, Minneappolis, Sioux Falls, Denver. Put big dents in two road trips. Have since put 100k+ on an Outback and now Ascent with not a single glitch. (I am jinxed now!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
One of the things that I liked about the Ascent when I bought it was that the 3rd row is more comfortable (to me, anyway) thanks to the ability to recline it a little bit. In most other SUVs with 3 rows the back is too vertical so it's not as comfortable for longer trips.

Anyway, looking to get a second SUV to make sure I can carry the whole family and I can't find that information anywhere.

So I turn to the experts here... are there any other SUVs with the ability to recline the 3rd row seats?
Have you considered a minivan? The Honday Odyssey should be perfect if you’re looking for space

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kia carnival looks interesting except...
My Ascent came with the hitch but I never removed the plastic cover in 3 years. I snatched up an Ascent in transit from a canceled order, so I ended up with a few upgrades I didn't want but got it really fast!
I really have no use for towing, so it's fine by me. I jut need to convince the wife that it doesn't look too much like a minivan, and that new Kia vehicles are good, for whatever reason she still thinks Kia makes junk cars. I started the conversation several times... never ended well. An Oddyssey is also a good choice. And depending on how our lawmakers end up wording the new EV tax credit, perhaps the most attractive minivan could be the Chrysler Pacifica Plug in Hybrid. If it qualifies for $12,500 discount it will be a real bargain.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts