Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mostly need it for light highway driving and some city. Light off road backcountry camping/hiking access as well about a dozen times per year at most. No beach sand driving nor deep mudding. Mild snow needs, but during the winter I change out for winter tires. They should have M/S designation just in case I get stuck in high country here in Colorado without my winter tires on.

Alternatives to the Grabber or Pirreli?

Also considering
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
245 /50 R20 102V SL BSW

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I search Continental Grabber HTS 60 it shows me a General tire and not a Continental tire?
my error in trying to post late at night quickly. thanks for catching that. Yes it is a general tire. At most I have the summer and fall to decide what to replace the OEM with. 30,000 mileage is not too bad for OEM. I want something that will grip well in backcountry but by far I am primarily on paved road here in Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Packout, I had the Pirelli's on my previous vehicle...of the four brands/models of tires I ran over 100+K miles they were the WORST for tread life. I don't know if the current version is any better, but no way would I ever buy that tire again. I remain committed to find a way to run Michelin Defender LTX on my Ascent once I have to move on from the Faulken's...which are actually wearing fine.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Packout, I had the Pirelli's on my previous vehicle...of the four brands/models of tires I ran over 100+K miles they were the WORST for tread life. I don't know if the current version is any better, but no way would I ever buy that tire again. I remain committed to find a way to run Michelin Defender LTX on my Ascent once I have to move on from the Faulken's...which are actually wearing fine.
I have run Defenders on my other two vehicles for years with great success, but alas the tires do not come in the proper size for my Limited.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought the reason defenders were not available for 20" wheels is because no one goes off-roading or A/T with 20" wheels.. the wheels themselves stand a good chance of getting damaged by rocks. I assume it's why Robert Mauro uses 17" wheels. Unless you want defenders only for winter use?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the reason defenders were not available for 20" wheels is because no one goes off-roading or A/T with 20" wheels.. the wheels themselves stand a good chance of getting damaged by rocks. I assume it's why Robert Mauro uses 17" wheels. Unless you want defenders only for winter use?
I never thought about it before since I had them mounted on sedans I owned. I do not go hard core off-roading so this will not be an issue for me, but they are not available in my size wheel so i will look for an alternative.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We do zero off-roading or A/T, just dry pavement, so I'd like to find a set of high performance summer tires in 20" that would give us the best performance on the roads. Up here we legally we have to install 4 winters so we'll have 2 full sets. For winters I'm thinking of the Hakkapelittas R3 SUV tires. I had those on a 16 Forester and they were wonderful.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We do zero off-roading or A/T, just dry pavement, so I'd like to find a set of high performance summer tires in 20" that would give us the best performance on the roads. Up here we legally we have to install 4 winters so we'll have 2 full sets. For winters I'm thinking of the Hakkapelittas R3 SUV tires. I had those on a 16 Forester and they were wonderful.
even in Colorado high country we only need M/S rating with a Subaru AWD and no chains during restricted times.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
I have run Defenders on my other two vehicles for years with great success, but alas the tires do not come in the proper size for my Limited.
Correct at the present time....255/50R20 is the closest which is a slight upsize. They ARE available in OEM size for 18" wheels, but that would require me (and you) to buy new wheels. That's not off the table completely for me, but it's not a strong possibility at the present time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah we used to use the Michelin LTX on our suburbans year round and they worked pretty good. But they were 4WD vehicles. Where I live it's the law between Dec1st to Mar 15th to use proper winter tires. They must have the winter 3 peaks logo on all 4 tires or we can get fined quite seriously. We also get serious snow here.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
We don't get no stinkin' winter here in SE PA anymore...LOL I had the LTX on my Grand Cherokee and they wore like iron but were still extremely comfortable and great handling. That's why I want them for my Ascent...and I'm hoping that Michelin will "see the light" and start offering them in the 245/50R20. Ascent isn't alone in using that size, either.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We don't get no stinkin' winter here in SE PA anymore...LOL I had the LTX on my Grand Cherokee and they wore like iron but were still extremely comfortable and great handling. That's why I want them for my Ascent...and I'm hoping that Michelin will "see the light" and start offering them in the 245/50R20. Ascent isn't alone in using that size, either.
I already emailed them asking them to do so.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
As did I. :) Great minds....:D

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I'm curious about the Continental TerrainContact™ A/T myself as the next tire.
that tire is not made in the OEM size for the Limited
I know the question was regarding the Crosstrek, but 245/65R17 is the comparable 17" stock width/circumference tire for the Ascent.

245/60R18 is OEM stock size that works to exactly match OEM size. Though the Limited, Touring and some Premiums come with 20", the downsize to OEM 18" would be that size choice. The TerrainContacts have them as well.

Of all the all terrains I used, I would never return to the TerrainContacts. They're the worst in deep snow, and the most on road friendly. BUT... for those who are looking for street friendly and don't drive in a foot of snow, they're a very decent choice. Remember, I overland and off road a lot. What doesn't work for me may be ideal for others because of the very same reasons. 😉😂

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I search Continental Grabber HTS 60 it shows me a General tire and not a Continental tire?
Continental owns the General Tire brand (as well as Gislaved).

I mostly need it for light highway driving and some city. Light off road backcountry camping/hiking access as well about a dozen times per year at most. No beach sand driving nor deep mudding. Mild snow needs, but during the winter I change out for winter tires. They should have M/S designation just in case I get stuck in high country here in Colorado without my winter tires on.

Alternatives to the Grabber or Pirreli?

Also considering
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
245 /50 R20 102V SL BSW
Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S is not an All-terrain tire. But.. it can still handle some light offroading.

See video below, as the 2016 Tiguan with 255/40r19's are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S

If you have some sharp rocks to worry about, consider Nokian enTYRE C/S with the Aramid Sidewalls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts