Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part throttle acceleration seems a bit jerky and not smooth.... almost like the waste gate or recirculation valve is fluttering or surging. Very light throttle seems ok, full throttle is not bad, but I'd say the 20-60% throttle range is where I notice the herky-jerky surging. The CX-9 I drove was buttery smooth every where and I miss that feeling in my Ascent. I still only have about 700 miles on my Ascent so maybe its a break-in thing??

I'm just trying to gauge if its a characteristic of the Ascents or if its something I should bring up to m dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
As this powertrain was developed specifically for the Ascent, we don't really have any other vehicles to compare to. This issue has already been mentioned in an article by Motortrend.
The Ascent isn't perfect, though. As Rechtin pointed out, the vehicle's "short first gear and quick throttle tip-in gives a sense of quick off-the-line acceleration, but it's actually just jerky and snappy and will do nothing but annoy your passengers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wonder if something like this can be adjusted via the firmware updates (via WiFi) over the coming year? And, if so, will Subaru actually do that for stuff like this or just leave first year adopters holding the bag on these sorts of tweaks? This is one of the concerns I have with buying the first model year of anything. As production tweaks are integrated, existing customers are screwed and left with an inferior product.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think I feel that too. The throttle tip-in isn't as lethargic as my old 2012 Outback 2.5 CVT, but definitely not as aggressive as the Gen 5 Outback 2.5 CVT. I was expecting really abrupt off-the-line response from the Ascent (after reading that MT review), but it starts off pretty easy off the line to me. It's challenging to accelerate with medium quickness. To me, it starts out pretty calm but will surge easily.

I've only got 180 miles so I'm definitely still getting used to everything though. I want to get through the break in period before I start being too critical.

·
Registered
685 Posts
All the car mags said the same thing. It's hard to drive smoothly around town. Ya'all need a throttle mapping tune...LOL.

My Gen3 OBXTs were terrible until I got them tuned.

·
Registered
646 Posts
All the car mags said the same thing. It's hard to drive smoothly around town. Ya'all need a throttle mapping tune...LOL.

My Gen3 OBXTs were terrible until I got them tuned.
It's this with the shifting CVT. You have to be deliberate and pick a throttle position with a light touch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup. I noticed this on my first stop and go traffic encounter and I feel it every timr I'm in the city. Still >150 miles in though, so as others mentioned, I'd like to get past the break in period before being too critical. But honestly, I doubt it's a break in issue. Hopefully it can be tuned

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yup. I noticed this on my first stop and go traffic encounter and I feel it every timr I'm in the city. Still >150 miles in though, so as others mentioned, I'd like to get past the break in period before being too critical. But honestly, I doubt it's a break in issue. Hopefully it can be tuned
If the artificial shifting points are a problem for you, I suggest you write or call Subaru corporate. If enough people make a case to remove them, it's possible they'll develop a revised ECU tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dead spot at 20mph

I thought I would chime in. I have approx. 7500 miles on my ascent, and all in all have been pretty satisfied other than the quirkiness of the CVT/Simulated shifting. At about 20 mph, there is a dead spot in acceleration. I have notified the dealership, but they believe it to be part of the simulated shifting. I asked about a flash or tune to get rid of this simulated shifting, but none as of yet. I really hope Subaru does fix this for us. My vehicle is the Premium.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I thought I would chime in. I have approx. 7500 miles on my ascent, and all in all have been pretty satisfied other than the quirkiness of the CVT/Simulated shifting. At about 20 mph, there is a dead spot in acceleration. I have notified the dealership, but they believe it to be part of the simulated shifting. I asked about a flash or tune to get rid of this simulated shifting, but none as of yet. I really hope Subaru does fix this for us. My vehicle is the Premium.
Please make sure you write Subaru directly. You can do so via the contact page on their website. The dealers do not always pass along customer feedback or customer complaints.

·
Registered
932 Posts
In the interim, see if altering the throttle amount changes it - for better or worse. When I tell you my 2011 Outback needs an almost zero throttle input I am serious. 10% throttle is all it takes or less in city traffic by me.

From what I’ve seen on other threads the artificial shift points don’t seem to happen unless you’re half or more throttle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Part throttle acceleration seems a bit jerky and not smooth.... almost like the waste gate or recirculation valve is fluttering or surging. Very light throttle seems ok, full throttle is not bad, but I'd say the 20-60% throttle range is where I notice the herky-jerky surging. The CX-9 I drove was buttery smooth every where and I miss that feeling in my Ascent. I still only have about 700 miles on my Ascent so maybe its a break-in thing??

I'm just trying to gauge if its a characteristic of the Ascents or if its something I should bring up to m dealer.

Thanks
After about 4500 miles, I experienced a screeching noise and associated jerking at around 2000 rpm. The dealer replaced the transmission. Now I have an acceleration issue where it hesitates then a bang, a lurch and a whirring noise until it kicks into a suitable gear. I guess back to the dealer.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
After about 4500 miles, I experienced a screeching noise and associated jerking at around 2000 rpm. The dealer replaced the transmission. Now I have an acceleration issue where it hesitates then a bang, a lurch and a whirring noise until it kicks into a suitable gear. I guess back to the dealer.
Please keep us posted, especially since there are no gears, so, shouldn't ever be a banging noise from gear engagement.

I'd love to see the service order to glean the entirety of what they did.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I recently had the dealership check low speed shuddering( <25 mph), but they said it was normal?! I also experience a dead spot under light throttle in the 25-40 mph range with the engine between 1500 and 2500 rpm, where it feels like it's lugging ( but at 2500 rpm the motor should be in it's touque peak) for 2-3 seconds, then it figures out that it should lower the ' gear' ratio and then it's fine. But overall I am fine with the CVT.

Hopefully they figure out what is happening with yours.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I will keep you posted.
Awesome. Can you message me the CVT assembly part number, CVT fluid part number, and torque converter part number? They will all be on your service order. Interested in the diagnostics codes as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will definitely write Subaru on this. I came from a 2011 Outback, and the CVT on that model was flawless in my opinion.
Did you write them and did they get back to you? I'm having the same issues. I've outwaited the "break-in" period and still it is doing the jerking. It is a big deal for me, as I am often in school zones, traffic in city driving, etc, so I am often in that 20-40 mph range that this seems to happen and it's BEYOND annoying and frustrating. I'll be trading it back in if they can't fix it, and I really hate that because I LOVE everything else about my Ascent. I won't keep paying for it for several more years if I have to dread every time I drive it, though. Tell me there is a fix. Please, somebody.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Did you write them and did they get back to you? I'm having the same issues. I've outwaited the "break-in" period and still it is doing the jerking. It is a big deal for me, as I am often in school zones, traffic in city driving, etc, so I am often in that 20-40 mph range that this seems to happen and it's BEYOND annoying and frustrating. I'll be trading it back in if they can't fix it, and I really hate that because I LOVE everything else about my Ascent. I won't keep paying for it for several more years if I have to dread every time I drive it, though. Tell me there is a fix. Please, somebody.
It definitively is not normal, so I would document it and have Subaru repair/replace under warranty. I have had no such problems with 12000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will keep you posted.
Please keep us posted, especially since there are no gears, so, shouldn't ever be a banging noise from gear engagement.

I'd love to see the service order to glean the entirety of what they did.
So the saga continues. After the first transmission replacement, and the second issue with the whining noise and banging, lurching of the car when the gas is fully applied, I took the car back to another dealer. After examination, they informed me that the previous dealer didn’t put any fluid in the transmission and they were replacing the transmission again. Two and a half weeks later, they informed me the the transmissions were on back order. This prompted me to contact Subaru of America to complain about the first dealer’s lack of customer service and their incompetence and to complain about the transmission itself and the issues related here as well on other websites. He was apologetic and was looking into either getting my car back or invoking the Lemon Law and giving me a new car. I like the Ascent very much, I just wished Subaru road tested the car longer before putting it on the market.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.