Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any harm in adding blindspot mirrors like these to my side mirrors in the circled area:

Would they interfere with any driver assist or other technologies in/on the car?

I've used these for 20 years now and just don't feel like I can 100% trust the blindspot monitoring system.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Would there be any harm in adding blindspot mirrors like these to my side mirrors in the circled area:

Would they interfere with any driver assist or other technologies in/on the car?

I've used these for 20 years now and just don't feel like I can 100% trust the blindspot monitoring system.
I dont see this being an issue other than since they are heated not sure how the adhesive will hold up on those aux mirrors. I will say that it took me a long time to feel confident with BSM systems since I used these aux mirrors for years and still check the blind spot with my eyeballs. Having said that, they do work and I esp. like the new placement that subaru has started with the impreza (including the ascent) on the side of the mirrors instead of on the mirror itself. You can see these lit up with your peripheral vision without having to turn your head completely (still a good idea to turn your head and actually look before changing lanes though LOL).
Of course stick with what works for you but maybe give it a couple weeks to get used to the system being the new blind spot mirror you are used to? Once you get used to it there really isnt a need for those mirrors IMO.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont see this being an issue other than since they are heated not sure how the adhesive will hold up on those aux mirrors. I will say that it took me a long time to feel confident with BSM systems since I used these aux mirrors for years and still check the blind spot with my eyeballs. Having said that, they do work and I esp. like the new placement that subaru has started with the impreza (including the ascent) on the side of the mirrors instead of on the mirror itself. You can see these lit up with your peripheral vision without having to turn your head completely (still a good idea to turn your head and actually look before changing lanes though LOL).
Of course stick with what works for you but maybe give it a couple weeks to get used to the system being the new blind spot mirror you are used to? Once you get used to it there really isnt a need for those mirrors IMO.
Now, I haven't read my manual yet since I just got the car, but... is there any instance in which I would have a car in my blindspot on either side of the vehicle and the BSM lights on the mirrors NOT be lit?

·
Registered
646 Posts
In the 20 years I've been driving I've never had a blind spot when my mirrors are properly placed. You need to adjust the side mirrors so when they leave your rearview mirror they are starting to get picked up in your side mirror and when they start to leave your side view mirror they are getting to the corner of your eye. No dot mirrors needed.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
598 Posts
Now, I haven't read my manual yet since I just got the car, but... is there any instance in which I would have a car in my blindspot on either side of the vehicle and the BSM lights on the mirrors NOT be lit?
From my experience, no. Unless there is some type of malfunction or BSM is disabled (either manually or due to say rain or snow) which will display an amber idiot light on the dash the system will just work. I've only had it turn on falsely due to very heavy rain one time and on my wife's outback the sensors went out of alignment randomly (a known issue) and they had to be realigned by service to correct - in this case each time I started the car the dash would flash with a warning that BSM was disabled and the idiot light stayed on until we got it fixed. Otherwise, it just works as designed and once you learn to trust the lights it's a pretty easy system to get along with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
From my experience, no. Unless there is some type of malfunction or BSM is disabled (either manually or due to say rain or snow) which will display an amber idiot light on the dash the system will just work. I've only had it turn on falsely due to very heavy rain one time and on my wife's outback the sensors went out of alignment randomly (a known issue) and they had to be realigned by service to correct - in this case each time I started the car the dash would flash with a warning that BSM was disabled and the idiot light stayed on until we got it fixed. Otherwise, it just works as designed and once you learn to trust the lights it's a pretty easy system to get along with.
Just to clarify when the BSM is misaligned does the dummy light flag you (is that part of the system considering it disabled) ?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
In the 20 years I've been driving I've never had a blind spot when my mirrors are properly placed. You need to adjust the side mirrors so when they leave your rearview mirror they are starting to get picked up in your side mirror and when they start to leave your side view mirror they are getting to the corner of your eye. No dot mirrors needed.
I adjusted my mirrors to eliminate the blind spot as you suggested and I could not see anything when trying to back into a parking space. I could not see the car next to me or the lines on the ground. I went back to the old setting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question right? This is going to be my first car with any kind of technology, like any. What is an idiot light? ?
I assume it is the lights you see on the dash on your drivers side.

BUT...Then again I drive a 2005 4Runner so this "dummy" stuff might be millennial technology :p. HAHA

·
Registered
115 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question right? This is going to be my first car with any kind of technology, like any. What is an idiot light? ?

BUT...Then again I drive a 2005 4Runner so this "dummy" stuff might be millennial technology ?. HAHA
Hahaha...yeah, I’m in the same boat as you! Not a millennial and driving a base model 2007 Chrysler Aspen. I’m not going to know what to do with all these cameras, fancy mirrors and detectors. I’ll be that person who still reverses while actually looking in the direction I’m going instead of looking at the screen...lol.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hahaha...yeah, I’m in the same boat as you! Not a millennial and driving a base model 2007 Chrysler Aspen. I’m not going to know what to do with all these cameras, fancy mirrors and detectors. I’ll be that person who still reverses while actually looking in the direction I’m going instead of looking at the screen...lol.
Very exciting times ahead for both of us. I am so excited about not having to use the cassette adaptor to listen to music on my phone. That alone makes me weak LOL

Now if SNE would just get my car here. I am ready to be wowed :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just to clarify when the BSM is misaligned does the dummy light flag you (is that part of the system considering it disabled) ?
Correct, due to this error BSM was not working and the light indicating it was not working displayed on the dash under the tach.

BUT...Then again I drive a 2005 4Runner so this "dummy" stuff might be millennial technology :p. HAHA
Drivers Ed circa 1999 taught me that the lights that are displayed on the dash board surrounding the Speedo and Tach were all called 'idiot lights'. this is because they do not tell you anything other than something is wrong or needs your attention but didn't necessarily tell you anything specific (IE: Check engine light could be anything or everything wrong with your engine). Over the years with added tech there are more of these lights that do provide more specific info about what in particular needs your attention but through habit I've always called these lights on the dash "idiot lights". Prolly not PC enough for a 2018 world but old habits...

Attached a listing of all these lights that can display in case of issue/disabled/fyi/etc. to show what I mean by this. Sorry for any confusion.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Correct, due to this error BSM was not working and the light indicating it was not working displayed on the dash under the tach.

Drivers Ed circa 1999 taught me that the lights that are displayed on the dash board surrounding the Speedo and Tach were all called 'idiot lights'. this is because they do not tell you anything other than something is wrong or needs your attention but didn't necessarily tell you anything specific (IE: Check engine light could be anything or everything wrong with your engine). Over the years with added tech there are more of these lights that do provide more specific info about what in particular needs your attention but through habit I've always called these lights on the dash "idiot lights". Prolly not PC enough for a 2018 world but old habits...

Attached a listing of all these lights that can display in case of issue/disabled/fyi/etc. to show what I mean by this. Sorry for any confusion.
Thanks for the attachments @Burutoo . Was just having some fun no confusion at all my friend.

LOL My drivers ed was 1988 or so. Sadly not remembering much on that

·
Registered
115 Posts

BUT...Then again I drive a 2005 4Runner so this "dummy" stuff might be millennial technology ?. HAHA
Drivers Ed circa 1999 taught me that the lights that are displayed on the dash board surrounding the Speedo and Tach were all called 'idiot lights'. this is because they do not tell you anything other than something is wrong or needs your attention but didn't necessarily tell you anything specific (IE: Check engine light could be anything or everything wrong with your engine). Over the years with added tech there are more of these lights that do provide more specific info about what in particular needs your attention but through habit I've always called these lights on the dash out at "idiot lights". Prolly not PC enough for a 2018 world but old habits...

No confusion! Thanks very much!! Yes it going to be a big change and I’m so exited for it!!! I’m in south east Alabama and let’s just say that you don’t see many Subaru’s on the road. Waiting impatiently for a delivery date. I’m in the July allocation for my vehicle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No confusion! Thanks very much!! Yes it going to be a big change and I’m so exited for it!!! I’m in south east Alabama and let’s just say that you don’t see many Subaru’s on the road. Waiting impatiently for a delivery date. I’m in the July allocation for my vehicle.

Same here last I knew with regard to the allocation.

My Toyota is pretty much crapped out so I am prob just as impatient as you are :)

Here in CT they are all over the place. It amazes me

·
Registered
646 Posts
I adjusted my mirrors to eliminate the blind spot as you suggested and I could not see anything when trying to back into a parking space. I could not see the car next to me or the lines on the ground. I went back to the old setting.
Just lean left and right when backing in? Never had an issue.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
542 Posts
I’ve been using these in my cars without bsm, IMO they look better (almost oem), are adjustable (ball and socket mount), and let’s you see more of the road, less sky due to rectangular design

Blind Spot Mirror Square LIBERRWAY Wide Angle Mirror Adjustable Convex Rear View Mirror 360°Rotate for All Universal Vehicles Car Stick on Design 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074V5YH5T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EgsmBb900EF9T

·
Registered
2 Posts

I've placed them on all my subarus (Legacy, forester and now outback), except I place them to the outside, not inside. Also be careful if you have approach lights so you do not cover them up. I also use them when having to park near a curb or checking how close to the edge of a lane I may be in when towing.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
"I also use them when having to park near a curb or checking how close to the edge of a lane I may be in when towing. "

They're also great for off-roading. They are also helpful in allowing the mirrors to be positioned in a way that there isn't a blind spot that swallows a motorcycle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i had big honking mirrors on my truck, with 3" bullseye on them, I sure miss them,
Will the adhesive have problems with the mirror defrost ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts