Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hard wired my radio, curious how you guys are doing the antenna.

I’ll be putting the radio display face on a Proclip Ascent Mount.

Was thinking something like this and making a custom mount that attaches to our roof rails

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/int/antenna-mount.html

I have a mag mount now but prefer something not on the paint if possible. Plus give the option of running a roof box

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
I used a mag mount and put it behind my moonroof, for my CB. I am eventually having someone wire a permanent terminal in a non-structural part of the roof rail so I can use a short cable to attach it when needed. This works for ham and CB, dependent on antenna choice:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G60XVSU/

It is massive and heavy and has thick rubber covers over the beastly magnets to prevent scratching the paint (assuming one cleans the roof first).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a mag mount and put it behind my moonroof, for my CB. I am eventually having someone wire a permanent terminal in a non-structural part of the roof rail so I can use a short cable to attach it when needed. This works for ham and CB, dependent on antenna choice:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G60XVSU/

It is massive and heavy and has thick rubber covers over the beastly magnets to prevent scratching the paint (assuming one cleans the roof first).
That thing looks like it will survive a tornado. Nice ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an FT8900 installed under passenger seat, with the head mounted in the cubby above USB ports. 3 NMO mounts are in the roof, with Larsen antennas. I ran a 10ga. power pair through the firewall to the battery + and the ground connection near the strut mount. The speaker is mounted to a bar in the front of the drivers seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This setup was pulled from my 15 year old F-150 (which the Ascent replaced) , so I am not sure what current pricing would be. The only things I bought for this setup was three new Larsen NMO mounts (and rain caps for them for car washes), some 10ga. wire for the power connections to the battery, and a couple of fuse holders for the same. The setup in the F150 was just about the same, except that the remote head was mounted to a small plate where the cigarette lighter was installed (I removed the lighter).

Other notes:

Speaker is mounted to the bar at the front of the drivers seat. There were already holes that matched the bracket. It works ok, since the Ascent is a very quiet vehicle. Not many mounting opportunities in these new vehicles.

The FT8900 remote head is mounted to a piece of marine StarBoard cut to fit the dash cubby. It is a material that is made for building marine dash assemblies (among other things) and can be worked the same as wood (easy to cut, sand, etc).

Antennas are Larsen NMO2/17, NMO50, and the third mount is a wildcard. I have another HF/VHF Low diplexer so I can mount my NMO27 for 10 meters; I can use it for APRS; I also have UHF and VHF VXR1000s if I want to utilize a vehicle extender.

The transceivers and diplexers are mounted in a Tac-Comm carrier, which is bolted underneath the passenger seat where the upgraded amplifier is supposed to go for those that have the advanced sound system. This makes it easy to retrieve as a unit for service/configuration changes, provides mounting possibilities for auxiliary equipment, and gives the equipment a bit of protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an FT8900 installed under passenger seat, with the head mounted in the cubby above USB ports. 3 NMO mounts are in the roof, with Larsen antennas. I ran a 10ga. power pair through the firewall to the battery + and the ground connection near the strut mount. The speaker is mounted to a bar in the front of the drivers seat.
Where did you go through firewall with the 10 gauge wires? Looking at my 2020 Ascent I don't see any good way to get through firewall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts